Beach Erosion Question

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
jchaisson

Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:02 pm

I posted earlier that we have been coming here for the past 3 years. And staying at Navarre Towers. Since then we have noticed the beach get shorter and shorts. This year it seems to have gotten really bad. I know that a few years ago a major restoration project was completed and I understand that project is still being paid for. Whats going to happen if the erosion continues at this pace? We really enjoy the quiet family friendly atmosphere of Navarre but are concerned that in a few years there may not be much beach to enjoy.
Last edited by jchaisson on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
livinglarge
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:30 pm

I'm not a local but, yes we are still paying for the first renourishment. some erosion was expected distance wise, but what scares me is the depth of the erosion. we have lost several feet of height over the winter months. but there is still plenty of beach to enjoy. it is my understanding that fema will pickup a large portion for any future renourishment. what unit did you stay in at navarre towers and did you enjoy hope the stay?
jchaisson

Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:23 am

Yes the erosion did seem to be pretty deep. One of the guys with the beach chairs said that at one point during March and April the water was up to the steps of the walkover (and we have seen evidence of that on the dunes) so I'm sure that has something to do with the depth of the erosion. We have young kids so we had to find a spot that wasn't as steep of a drop off at the waters edge.

We statyed in Navarre 1001 for the first time this year. It was a very nice 3 bedroom, we usually stay in Navarre 903 but have realized that my 3 year old son got sick everytime we stayed there. So this time we decided to try another spot. We love the fact that Navarre Towers isn't located with the larger highrises on the East side of the beach. Another VERY enjoyable trip to Navarre Beach.
mfhurst

Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:18 am

The beaches were about where they are now last year when we were there. After I watched and saw what Gustov did to the beaches I was so sad, it seamed to destroy the beach, actually in spots there was no beach left.

I have been so amazed at mother nature since then, in the spring the water was up to the walk over at Bel Mar and several other places, I didn't even want to plan a vac. there this year. But as I have been watching the beach has built it's self back to the point it was last year.

God is Good!!!!!

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”