BEACH EROSION

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
Kayak Dave
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:18 am

Parts of the beach took a heavy hit this past wkend. I usually go to walkover #7 to watch the sunset. When I went back Mon. the beach had changed radically. Where there was 100-125 ft of beach, 2 ft from the boardwalk the sand just dropped down a couple ft. and just to the west the surf was steadily eating away at the berm, with a cliff 8-9 ft high almost to the vegetation line.

The island is ever changing, but it amazes me how fast it can change. Our weather this wkend wasn't terrible but I guess the way it streamed straight north from the Gulf, gave the surf a lot of energy. Someone else that was there at the beach said he had been watching the surf and while a lot of waves were breaking offshore, this area was rolling on in without breaking much. Kind of led us to believe part of the sandbar had washed out, could be a bad place for rip currents this year. But the way the sand comes and goes, it's hard to predict what it will be like a month from now.
KayakDave
850-313-9158
Navarre Beach Kayaks
Kayak Eco Tours
http://www.NavarreBeachKayaks.com
Info@NavarreBeachKayaks.com

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”