WE ARE LOOSING THE BERM ON THE WHOLE LENGTH OF THE BEACH

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
GONEFISHING

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:32 pm

What has to be done to get Beach restoration done again including the West end. One Tropical Storm and the complete berm will be gone. It is really bad the whole lenght of the beach. Many places people have to walk in the water because of no beach. You loose the beach you loose visitors
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:57 pm

GONEFISHING,

I agree that some areas of the beach has substantial beach erosion, but not the "whole length of beach" that you allege. I too would like to see the start of another beach restoration project for the entire beach frontage. The problem is a very simple fix. All we need is money. And how much will it cost?

When I talked with Peter Ravella last year who was the County's consultant for the beach restoration project that started on March 17, 2006 and ended in November 2006. Peter said that beach restoration projects might have doubled in costs since 2006 and that the 2006 cost of about 20 million dollars would now cost about 40 million dollars.

The problem is that the County tax payers and the Navarre Beach property owners are still paying for the beach restoration project of 2006. The project's contact is for a 7 year period. The actual contract was signed in December 2005, which means the contract ends in December 2013. It is my understanding that FEMA might fund about 90% of the cost of another beach restoration project, but not until the current beach restoration project ends in December 2013.

There could be extenuating circumstances where maybe FEMA could fund on an emergency basis. The remaining difference would most likely be funded by the State, County and Navarre Beach property owners.

I suggest that we hold a Town Hall Meeting and invite out district County Commissioner Gordon Goodin to discuss what we need to do to address this important issue. I think that the biggest obstacle will be who's going to pay for an emergency beach restoration and when. As you know, the poor economy has hit our County very hard as it has for all areas of America. A town Hall Meeting would be the best way to start.

By the way the media usually refers to a beach restoration as a beach renourishment, which of course means the same thing.

What say you?
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:30 pm

From my angle today at the East end of the beach in the county park, the erosion is also very significant. The lifeguard stands in this location are now on the dune with stairs detached. The dune itself was collapsing with segments of "beach" about 10-15 ft to waterline. The island appears to be shifting.... once again. I noticed a uniformed person with a clipboard drawing and taking notes by a survey stake located 2 ft from the waterline...I believe where the southern point of the dune used to be. This was in close proximity to where the original "Pass" was located.

At this rate I can't help but think "the Pass" will be realized by mother nature in no time. What a revenue maker it will be to the fishing/boating industry...and county coiffeurs. 8)

It might be cheaper in the long run for the county to invest in a good used dredging barge with accompanying equipment to renourish the beach every 5 years.

Navarrian
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Only this time lets dredge from the sound and open the pass. Then slurry and haul to the beach where and when needed.
I am not an engineer but IMHO- One dredge similar to the ones used by High Wide and Deep Dredging to clear the sound side canals after Ivan and Dennis could do the job. It would take much much longer but most needed areas could be restored first.
If the sand is pure enough in the 3 canals to be placed back on the island it should be pure enough in the sound to be place back on the beach.
Agreed Navarrian, with innovation, there must be a environmentally friendly and less costly way! 8)
GONEFISHING

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:15 am

Kenny in your reply about the whole beach doesn't need renourishment let me change it to say from the East end to the West end many beach areas the water line is into the berm and people are sliding down the berm bringing sand into the Gulf which washes away. I also think the whole SR county should pay for renuorishment this time like they did in Okaloosa and Escambia counties
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:18 pm

GONEFISHING wrote:Kenny in your reply about the whole beach doesn't need renourishment let me change it to say from the East end to the West end many beach areas the water line is into the berm and people are sliding down the berm bringing sand into the Gulf which washes away. I also think the whole SR county should pay for renuorishment this time like they did in Okaloosa and Escambia counties
GONEFISHING,

You misquoted me in stating "Kenny in your reply about the whole beach doesn't need renourishment". What I said was "I too would like to see the start of another beach restoration project for the entire beach frontage".

GONEFISHING I nominate you as the lead organizer to discuss ideas of obtaining a beach restoration project at a Navarre Beach Town Hall Meeting. If you accept this role I would be willing to help you in making this happen. Together we can all bring our ideas to the table so that a solution can be obtained regarding the ongoing beach erosion at Navarre Beach.

Let me know when you are ready to start the planning of a Town Hall Meeting. Let's Roll!
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
GONEFISHING

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:50 am

Kenny I have too much on my plate at this time but I suggest you contact the NB Leaseholders Board and have them invite the proper people to a meeting that they have every 3rd Saturday. Sorry for the mis quote.
kcblond

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:34 pm

I am just curious. Is the beach eroded along the national seashore stretch between NB and Pensacola beach? It seems , according to the web cam, to look worse near the new pier and just to the west of it. So is the scalloping effect just as bad along the seashore beach? Could the building of the pier affect the condition of the beach by redirecting the currents?????
Ginny
THE HARDEST THING IS TO KNOW WHICH BRIDGE TO CROSS AND WHICH TO BURN

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”