Flooding and beach erosion

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
wregle
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:02 pm

This is a pic of the beach in front of Sundunes. Water is to the dunes. Very little beach. How is the flooding?
You can shake the sand from your shoes but it never leaves your soul
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:09 am

Wregle,

I am sorry for the folks that are there this week. Horrible week for non-beachy weather. I wish I could give Navarre, Houston/Galveston's weather.....every day is the very same, mid 90's, sun, ZERO chances of rain. Every damn day! Sunny and hot at this very moment!

Based on my trips thus far this year, I believe the County/State will absolutely be forced to begin the beach re-nourishment upon completion of this year's tourist season (09/02/3013). I believe they already had this time frame slotted anyway. Any storm between now and then will eat away that much more of the berm. Heck, down west, two weeks ago the berm had already breached the 12:00 o'clock point and there were points on the beach where there literally was no beach. People walking it had to walk through water to get to the beach on the other side.
wregle
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:25 am

We were supposed to be there this week but my husband broke his ankle so plans were changed. Thinking it may have been a blessing in disguise. He may not be thinking that way though! Fortunately, since its a family owned condo, no deposit was lost and we could easily reschedule. I have a son who is on vacation with his girlfriend and her family in PCB ths week. They are pretty much miserable! Raining and flooding in Huntsville too!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:41 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:Wregle,

I am sorry for the folks that are there this week. Horrible week for non-beachy weather. I wish I could give Navarre, Houston/Galveston's weather.....every day is the very same, mid 90's, sun, ZERO chances of rain. Every damn day! Sunny and hot at this very moment!

Based on my trips thus far this year, I believe the County/State will absolutely be forced to begin the beach re-nourishment upon completion of this year's tourist season (09/02/3013). I believe they already had this time frame slotted anyway. Any storm between now and then will eat away that much more of the berm. Heck, down west, two weeks ago the berm had already breached the 12:00 o'clock point and there were points on the beach where there literally was no beach. People walking it had to walk through water to get to the beach on the other side.
The County or State will not be forced to re-nourish the beach. The County has submitted required permits to the Florida fish and Wildlife, Florida DEP, US Fish and Wildlife, US Army Corps of Engineers and NOAA. Every State and Federal regulatory agency will have to approve the permits. The permits are very detailed and the time factor can sometimes be a year or more before "all" approvals are granted. I have posted on this same issue with the same info over the past 7 years about a dozen times. Being certified as a Florida Master Naturalist for Coastal that includes beaches and bays, I am very familiar with the permit process.

The beach re-nourishment process does not happen as quickly as you and I would like for it to happen. Sorry about that.

I'll check with the County's environmental engineer in south Florida and see where the process is currently. Thanks for your inquiry.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
wregle
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:28 pm

Kenny -
Do you know if the sea turtle nest at the bottom of the walk over by Sundunes has survived this latest surge?
Thanks!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:28 am

Sorry...I thought the permit situation had already taken place and been approved. The last time we spoke I seem to remember a time frame of sometime after the tourist season 2013. Perhaps I was wrong and it was after the tourist season of 2014, which probably makes more sense with the tape that has to be endured. Either way, let us hope and pray a major storm doesn't come that way!!! I am a poet and don't even know it!
wregle
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:53 pm

Heard from family at Sundunes that they moved the turtle nest so the water wouldn't get it.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:27 am

Yippy....a turtle victory!!!
Razorback

Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:35 pm

The wife and friends have a girls trip planned for July 20-27 and staying at the Sanddollar. Anyone know the beach situation in front of that complex?
Love Navarre Beach
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:33 pm

Minimal but certainly enough for this trip. As we know, it comes, it goes. As for next summer, who knows. I know it is very scalloped and it is worse down toward the west.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:41 am

I received an email yesterday from Michael Walther with Coastal Tech in Vero Beach, FL who is the consultant for Santa Rosa County regarding the next sand re-nourishment project for Navarre Beach. Michael said “The required permit applications have been completed and sent to the state and federal agencies; permits are expected to be issued by late fall of 2013.”

The next step after the permit approvals would be selecting a contractor to perform the sand re-nourishment project. Coastal Tech will continue being involved in the permit process, assisting with selecting the contractor, costs of the project, and overseeing the sand re-nourishment entire project.

Michael also said “Your photos work very well for us. We very much appreciate your website as a valuable source of information at Navarre Beach.”

I’ll provide more updates about this project as soon as I know more. I have a very good relationship with Coastal Tech since the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. I know a lot of the folks there.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 pm

So, Kenny....if all goes well and "i's" dotted and, "t's" crossed, do you think we would be looking at realistically starting after the tourist season of 2014? Kinda sounds that way.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:52 pm

If the permit approvals for the state and federal agencies are issued by December 2013, and the sand re-nourishment project’s contract is awarded by February 2014, it is possible that the sand re-nourishment could be completed by May or June 2014. The reason being is that the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project was completed in nine months (March to November). Two of those months the project was shut down because of sea turtle kills in the dredging process during the summer months of 2006.

About 70% of the beach is still intact except for the last mile at the eastern end of the beach. Therefore, it seems very plausible to me that the beach re-nourishment of 2014 could be completed by May or June. The project will be adding sand to the Berm (Dune) that has been eroded by storm surges since 2006 and by adding more sand between the Berm and the Gulf. Also, new vegetation will be planted to strengthen the Berm.

Of course all of this is just my opinion.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
wregle
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:56 am

This is good news. Beach is pretty much gone in front of Sundunes.

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”