Military Evacuations

Here is the forum you will find lots of information, photos and discussion about the Navarre Mainland, Navarre Town Center, Heart of Navarre and Santa Rosa County. Areas included are Gulf Breeze, Pace, Milton and other communities in Santa Rosa County.

beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:52 pm

As much as I love seeing my grandbabies, daughter, and son-in-law, I did not want it this way. As many of you know, my son-in-law has been stationed on the south side of Tokyo. In the next 24 hours, they will be evacuated to the US. I am so relieved that they will be out of Japan. They will not make it all the way home at first. They will be in the US... somewhere.

As I prepare myself for the visit of my daughter and her family, I started making lists of everything I need for them. You see, when they leave, they are allowed to take one bag per family member. I thought to myself, "If I could only take one bag, what would it be?" The closest I could come to it would be when we evacuate for a hurricane. Since I am a mainlander, it is more of an inconvienence to be without my "things" than to be without them forever. My daughter had been holding up pretty good until she thought about what to pack. She had carefully collected her things for a few years now. They represent where she has been and who she is. It is highly likely she will never see her things again. My daughter and her family are ok.

All of this got me to thinking. (That's a southern term.) What about the families not as fortunate? How would we find them? How would we start a collection for them when their needs vary? Then brilliance struck me. (OK maybe not brilliance.) The Red Cross is set up, knows what to do, and can distribute things anywhere. So my other daughter called them and mentioned the issue. The Red Cross is willing to be the "clearing house" for this. After all, it is what they are about. So I am asking anyone who can help, please contact the Red Cross with your donations.

Once everyone starts get to the States, they will need things like phone service to call home, lodging, a way to get all the way home. Of course the Military are taking care of a lot of it, but there are over 10,000 people coming back. If you can provide services please let the Red Cross know.

Just think about what would be in your bag is you were given 24 hours to walkaway from your things for what could be forever.
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:47 pm

beachgirl,
Glad your daughter and her family are safe and on their way to the U.S. I cannot imagine being allowed to pack and take only one bag. Would they be allowed to ship any of their things to the U.S.?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:04 pm

This is the same daughter who had the precious little preemie, isn't it? So glad they are coming home! Many prayers and thanks for sharing your insights!

Blessings,
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:14 am

Yes, my little Erin was treated so amazingly at the NICU in Tokyo. They saved her life. She is now 5 months old. Chubbiest baby I have ever seen. You would never know that she was so sick when she was born.

My girls are on the plane to the US now. I know they are on their way and still can't sleep. Maybe in a little bit. My son-in-law is still on base. Taking care of the things that need taken care of. They are moving over 50K people. It was women and children first, non-essential personnel, military personnel, and then the commander. This process could take days.

Please keep all our military and their families in your prayers.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:35 am

Matter of fact, I couldn't sleep either ... sometimes it's by "Divine Design", I believe ... am praying for your loved ones as well as all the folks touched by this horrific event!

Praying for our Heavenly Father to send His mighty angelic reinforcements to their rescue!

Blessings,
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:16 pm

I will do the very same, Beachgirl. So glad they are coming back!

Return to “Navarre Mainland and Santa Rosa County”