The amount of 98 accidents and deaths is astounding

Here is the forum you will find lots of information, photos and discussion about the Navarre Mainland, Navarre Town Center, Heart of Navarre and Santa Rosa County. Areas included are Gulf Breeze, Pace, Milton and other communities in Santa Rosa County.

PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:33 am

I am reading the latest addition of the Navarre Press and it astounds me at the number of accidents, deaths and motorcycle accidents that occur on that road on a daily basis. I don't know what it is that separates this road from so many others in the US that are also considered dangerous but this is ridiculous! Are there that many out of touch drivers in the area?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:29 am

Constant vigilance is definitely required on Hwy 98. I do not know how many accidents we averted by being aware and alert. I can remember many instances of people pulling out in front of us without looking and of red-light runners, though.

The number of sight-seers who have never been on that part of Hwy 98 plus the every day commuters who run it every day are often a lethal mix! When we lived there, we stayed away from Hwy 98 on holidays if possible.

It was getting almost that bad on Hwy 90 (west from the bridge and on into Milton) when we relocated in late 2010. Hwy 90 is where the red-light runner t-boned my car ... and to this day, I am living w/the consequences of those injuries sustained in that accident. And some days it surely is not fun to live w/those limitations. My first reaction was to be glad I was still alive ... but my poor ol' body will never be what it was before that event!

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
jennjeff1
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:34 pm

HWY 98 just has the worst mix of drivers....

Young, "special ops" hard charging 20-yearolds on fast bikes moving in/out of traffic at high speeds.

Old farts, (not that should mean anyone reading this forum...) who are on a vacation, with their turn signal on constantly going "around the world" to the left in the high speed left lane of traffic where the speedy bikes want to be going fast....

Saw a bad accident today pushed to the median grass at the corner of 98 and 87....

One crash near our house was local teens, drinking, and NOT stopping before running across 98 from a side street near the Shark Museum....not a good scene to come across....even the "press" who took pics were not able to publish the grusome carnage.....

It is a bad mix here on HWY 98 of new and old drivers....that's why we have so many accidents IMHO. Of course, tourists mixed in does not help either.... :cry:

~Jeff
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:53 pm

Good points! I would love to know how many drivers per capita Navarre has that are 25 and under? Again, percentage to total population. It seems to me and I may be incorrect on this, that the vast majority of injuries and deaths in and around that area, involve very young drivers who simply don't have the experience.
beachbum43

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:55 am

This road should be renamed to "Daytona 98", not Highway 98...well that's how I refer to it. After 9 years of driving this crazy road daily, I've learned to slow down, be courteous, and have patience. Stay safe out there!
jennjeff1
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Jenny and I had our favorite HWY 98 maneuver happen right in front of us on Sunday morning....

We are following a small, blue RAV-4 SUV in the left lane headed west on HWY 98 in heavy traffic flow in both lanes. The SUV turned on his right turn signal in front of the Shark Museum. We thought he wanted to just change to the right lane....but NO---HE TURNS 90-DEGREES RIGHT INTO THE NAVARRE CAR WASH FRONM THE FAR LEFT LANE WITH TRAFFIC FLOWING RIGHT IN HIS BLIND SPOT IN THE RIGHT LANE ALMOST FLIPPING HIS SUV AND T-BONE COLLIDING WITH A CAR IN THE RIGHT LANE FROM THE REAR!!!! :evil:

But...we are defintely in the "Bible Girdle" on a Sunday morning because not one person blew their horn or flipped him off!!! :?

~Jeff
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:22 pm

Wow....stunning what some people will do, Jeff! This person had no one in mind but themselves and obviously could have cared less what he/she could have done or created, or who they could have hurt or killed. It could have been anyone but my money says it was a kid. Wow!

Question....if it is so bad and so many people are hurt or killed on this road and if it is one of the top worst roads in the country, why in the world are they not more Florida Hwy Patrol and more local police presence...handing out tickets? I rarely see Florida Hwy Patrol on any given day. Maybe one and that is usually closer to Gulf Breeze.
jennjeff1
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:06 pm

P'Kid, I drive to Hurlburt and back every weekday...I see at least 1 deputy sheriff car or State Police car in Santa Rosa or Okaloosa County per day, but many days they are already servicing the site of a fender bender (at least 1 daily).

There is a speed trap weekly on Blyth Rd near the Navarre Beach Campground and the Panhandle Trail Road intersection. I also occasionally see a sheriff's car in traffic near Hurlburt or 2-3 having breakfast at the Thai Hut on Blue Tip and HWY98.

I think they try but we all know the State Police make money up on I-10 and the sheriff deputies all live/work up in Milton. Besides, speed traps tend to discourage tourists....

I guess the law authorities will contiunue to be "reactive mode" only until they re-engineer the Hurlburt flyover or build the HWY 98 bypass through the Eglin AFB Range.

~Jeff
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:20 pm

Jeff,

Jeff, you said something I think is very prevalent....."it discourages tourists." You know we had this discussion many months ago, if not a couple of years ago about litterer's and undercover cops on the beach. Someone said it would discourage tourists. I disagree with this. Yes, it may tick off the isolated, selfish idiot that speeds or drives irresponsibly but I firmly believe that when hundreds get tickets, if not thousands are given out, the word gets out. For example.....I drive the Atchafalaya Bridge (between Lafayette and Baton Rouge) all the time. It is known that the speed limit for cars is 60. There are LA Hwy Patrol on that sucker all the time and seemingly, as open as that highway is, they are hidden and then boom, you're nailed. If they do the same thing on 98 for a year long campaign, the public will get the message. We have spots all over Texas that are, "speed traps" and ya know what, you slow down when you enter those. I do believe they would work in the Panhandle and no tourist is going to say, "adios" to Navarre if they get a speeding ticket or littering fine. They WILL remember though, the next time. Human nature.

Bottom line...like everything else, if they REALLY wanted to make a change, make a difference, slow down the carnage, they could.
jennjeff1
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:55 pm

Good points P'Kid....

But I would say more accidents I've seen on HWY 98 are from not paying attention/distracted driving/cell phones/texting while driving and following too close/agressive lane changes than from speeding on the open sections of HWY 98.

Again...just my daily observations for the past year on HWY 98.

~Jeff
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:38 am

Jeff,

On the Cell Phone issue, I am a huuuuge advocate of having severe penalties for cell phone use while driving and particularly with young people. I am talking severe...like $2500 first time offense and suspension of license for 6 months, first time. People driving and then texting has become far more dangerous than drinking and driving and something MUST be done to stop it. Unfortunately, the people who make the laws are doing themselves.

Moreover, there are places here in Texas that are absolute NO CELL PHONE USAGE roadways...many of which are near schools. Again, if ticket after ticket were given out and stiff ones, then the word would get out and although the behavior would not disappear, it would diminish significantly.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:45 am

Why would the drivers pay attention to driving laws when the law enforcers don't do it themselves? I've seen many LE making turns without using their signals, allowing speeders to blatently pass them, rolling thru stop signs, you name it ... if LE handed out more tickets, it may help to crack down on the offenders.

Recently we've seen a deputy monitoring the speed limit on Edgewood Dr. and speeders zooming right by and the deputy just sits there. It's unbelievable! Forget about offending the tourists! You have to obey the law or get ticketed. We have also seen way too many reckless drivers on 98, weaving in and out of traffic, just to be the first person in front of the line waiting for the red light to change.
RoBear

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:28 pm

An LEO while responding to a call, while trying to get info about what they are fixing to walk into might forget to use their turn signal. Before you get all up in arms, let me ask you when was the last time you got pulled over for not using your signal? When en route to a call, you can bet they will let a speeder "blatently pass". Sometimes it gets called out over the radio, sometimes not. There are times, where they do have "better things to do".
Here's a much better idea...call up whatever agency you want and ask to go for a ride along. Then you can ask whoever you get all the questions you wish and maybe will gain a bit of understanding what it is they go through.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:48 pm

I'm not familiar with the term "LEO" --- what does it stand for? Oops, never mind, just figured it out!! DUH ... I'm apparently in one of my "blonde days"! LOL

I can see both sides of that issue: on the one hand, LEO's are generally held to a higher standard and on the other, they do have Life-or-Death emergencies of an unknown nature. I guess that's where the quality and quantity of their training is tested. Hubby was recently invited on a "ride-along" by one of his good customers. He told him "thanks, maybe I'll do that someday when I feel like living dangerously!" His cop-friend said, "Oh, usually it's pretty boring --- we just want you along for the laughs!" :lol:

Don't know about other counties or states, but in this part of TX, it's against the law to be on a cell phone in a school zone! With so many hands-free devices available, it seems unnecessary anymore for anyone to have to be driving while cell-phoning.

:roll: :roll:
Last edited by AngelGirl on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
jennjeff1
Power User
Power User

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:34 pm

I usually count 5-8 of 10 people in line at light next to me talking on a cell phone--MORE THAN HALF! So much for hands-free devices....

~Jeff

Return to “Navarre Mainland and Santa Rosa County”