Massive Road Work Coming

Here is the forum you will find lots of information, photos and discussion about the Navarre Mainland, Navarre Town Center, Heart of Navarre and Santa Rosa County. Areas included are Gulf Breeze, Pace, Milton and other communities in Santa Rosa County.

EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:45 am

I really believe that if Law Enforcement was actually out on 98 giving out tickets to speeders, red light runners, people driving in the rain or at dusk without headlights, etc. the general public would take notice. Everyone knows that going into Gulf Breeze is a speed trap ... cops, unmarked police cars all over the place .... but around Navarre ... very seldom. In fact I've seen more FHP giving out more tickets that the SRSO. Sure sometimes you'll see a deputy sitting in a church parking lot under a nice big shade tree. Wonder if he's looking for ppl breaking the law, or just taking a nap?
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
kcblond

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:03 am

Personally,, I drive the beach road to Pensacola every chance I get. I find it no slower even with the speed limits. Traffic is usually so bad even in Sept , its worth the few minutes more just for the view.
Ginny
THE HARDEST THING IS TO KNOW WHICH BRIDGE TO CROSS AND WHICH TO BURN
jennjeff1
Power User
Power User

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:16 pm

dolfnfan wrote:Well now you're asking an awful lot, P'kid! All your observations are intelligent, logical and spot on...so it's very unlikely that any of them will happen in our lifetime.

Something dramatic needs to be done with the Navarre Causeway too. It's beyond ridiculous and that situation is untenable. 45 minutes to leave the island on a regular ol' summer weekend day? It used to only be that bad on holiday weekends. The bright side is that this will absolutely keep a lot of people away so it shouldn't get too much worse. People will only tolerate so much before they just move on to the next beach down the highway...
I agree with Dolfnfan, the traffic on the causeway exiting Navarre Beach is a nightmare every weekend now. But, the problem is really that traffic light on HWY 98. The detection system must be broken and the additional 30- second countdown clock once the sensors are tripped. Better traffic sensors and timers at this intersection would solve much of the traffic problems, although I have also seen HWY 98 backed up at the same traffic light on occasion. Sometimes, I just turn right coming off the causeway to make a U-turn by HelenBack II/Fire station to go West on 98 without waiting for the left turn sensor and countdown clock.

PS: Glad we moved away from Navarre to avoid all those 1.5 years of construction on HWY 98.

~Jeff
jennjeff1
Power User
Power User

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:19 pm

BTW: Some days the traffic in Navarre and HWY 98 (as the ONLY highway between Holley by the Sea and Hurlburt Field) are just as bad as here in Washington, DC!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:02 pm

Been wondering where you two got off to! We miss your photo posts but glad you took part while you guys were in the area. How is your photo website doing? I take a look every once in awhile just to see what you've added to the collection!

Happy Trails!
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
jennjeff1
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:38 am

Thanks AG! I am plowing through our 17,000+ photos from our 26-day trip to Africa. I hope to start posting and processing photos sometime this week. Highlights include Victoria Falls (bigger than Niagara Falls), safari in Kruger National Park, and my Mount Kilimanjaro climb. Navarre Press tried to do a follow-up interview this week to the pre-climb piece they did on me in June, but I think I got bumped to the next issue. I'll need some folks to send copies to me in DC once it hits the streets, anyway.

~Jeff
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:47 am

EXCITING stuff, Jeff ~ thanks for the "heads up", we'll be looking for the article!

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Ihsan

Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:44 am

While on this subject and I know that the Santa Rosa County officials and frankly the panhandle moves at a slower pace than say a Dallas, Houston or Chicago but can anyone explain to me, why it has taken literally years to widen and pave 87 going north? I know for a fact it has been 2 years and maybe longer. For such a relatively small project? Money? Manpower? I personally think it is ridiculous to take that long.

THIS IS ACTUALLY A COPY-PASTE OF A POST MADE AT AN EARLIER TIME BY PENSACOLA KID. THIS POSTER HAS BEEN COPY-PASTING POSTS ON THE FORUM. I HAVE REMOVED THE OTHERS BUT SINCE TWO MEMBERS HAVE RESPONDED TO IT, I'VE LEFT IT INTACT.

MODERATOR A.G.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:39 am

It is mostly waiting for federal/state money. It is coming in separate chunks - each of which is "begged for" by our elected officials - and usually not the next chunk until the previous phase is completed. Unfortunately, as a low population county (fewer voters to please) - we tend to be last in line for state/federal road money.

Phase one was Hwy 98 to 5-Forks Road in Holley. Started back in about 2003? - so going on for over 12 years now, not just a couple. Was slowed by Ivan and Dennis, the new Bridge at East River, and the "urban" design (sidewalks, curbs, storm drains/retention ponds, street lights, and many curb-cuts, etc.). All the while keeping at least two lanes open.
Phase two was Hwy 90 in East Milton, south to Hickory Hammock Road. It went fairly fast as no bridges and little fill - and south of I-10 mostly no curbs/sidewalks, fewer driveways/intersections, etc.
Phase three was 5-Forks in Holley to the Eglin reservation - again fairly major new bridge in Holley, and raising roadbed through most of south Holley by up to 5-feet or so (keep it higher so doesn't go awash with Ivan level surge - keep road open) - and again, a lot of "urban features".
Phase four is Holley/Eglin border to just south of Yellow River - suspect that will go fast as no bridges, relatively few intersecting roads/driveways, etc. - and (I'm guessing) no curbs, sidewalks, etc.

The gap over Yellow River will be slow/expensive due to long new bridge to get 4-lanes (plus breakdown lanes) total.
Finally, the planned section of Hwy 87 from Hwy 90 looping east and north around Milton to near Whiting Field will take LOTs of $$$s - and time. No existing road/ROW at all - so even land acquisition will be a feat - plus bridges over Blackwater River, sensitive/protected wildlife/forest, etc.
That section - my guess - at least 20-years away?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:02 am

Ihsan,

I am in agreement with you. I have just chalked it up to logistics and demographics but there is no doubt things move much slower there.

However, I live in Houston, West Houston to be exact. I have lived in this "place" (I have several adjectives to describe Houston) since 1969. From the Beltway 8 to Galveston on I-45, is approximately 40 miles. Since 1969 some part of I-45 has been under construction and I mean that literally. At no point in that 46 years has I-45 been whole/new/repaired that would negate the use or sight of orange barrels. I think it is a state work project for jobs frankly. I could have built the sucker by myself faster.

Return to “Navarre Mainland and Santa Rosa County”