Local produce and seafood

Here is the forum you will find lots of information, photos and discussion about the Navarre Mainland, Navarre Town Center, Heart of Navarre and Santa Rosa County. Areas included are Gulf Breeze, Pace, Milton and other communities in Santa Rosa County.

usandacat

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:00 pm

Good afternoon.

We will be down the end of Sept and was wondering about local produce and seafood markets.

I saw that there is a seafood market in Navarre. Are there others close by ? And what is considered "in season seafood", or is there such a thing?

And, are there any Farmers Markets close by? Or what is our best bet for fresh produce?

Thanks in advance.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 am

usandacat,

Let's address the seafood question first. Yes, Navarre has Navarre Seafood. Not a huge selection but they are very friendly, close and have most of the standards (red snapper, grouper, mahi-mahi, shrimp and hopefully oysters. They also have some other varieties as well. For a vastly larger selection from all over Florida and the Caribbean, visit Joe Patti's in Pensacola (Bayfront Blvd/Main Street), just north of the baseball stadium. Great selection!

You can pretty much get whatever you want but I prefer the Grouper, Red Snapper and Mahi-Mahi. If you get the Red Snapper, have them fillet it but leave the skin and scales on. Make a fire and drizzle the both sides of the fillet with olive oil, sprinkle the meat side with lemon juice, a wee bit of garlic powder and a wee bit of blackening seasoning. Scale side down on the fire and DO NOT TURN IT OVER. Cook entirely on that side. The scale side hardens and the meat cooks wonderfully. Snapper on the half shell.

Boil some shrimp or BBQ them or Skewer them butterflied with a sliver of jalapeno and wrapped in bacon. Put that over the fire.

Fresh produce, not sure if the downtown Pensacola market is open but I know they have fresh produce on Saturday mornings. If not, Publix grocery store in Navarre is as good as you can get.

Eat and drink well and enjoy your time. Oh...if you are in Pensacola, go to Renfroe's Pecan's and get ya some and some Pecan Meal. Cover the grouper in Pecan Meal and saute'. Spectacular!! Joe Patti's may have that Pecan Meal? Perhaps someone on the forum can verify that!!! :)
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:26 pm

PensacolaKid,

After your comments I am extremely hungry.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Sandstomper

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:48 pm

Yum, yum! Never heard of Pecan Meal, but will certainly try it now. P'Kid we need to launch a Kickstarter campaign for your new Navarre restaurant. Sounds like the menu has already been formulated. You would have a strong forum customer base and given that we really have to drive to P'Cola for really good seafood, the locals and tourist would be there for you.

Back to the thread, when Mr. Ray's inventory is gone, (he is a local treasure with THE WORLD'S best tomatoes) we've visited the roadside cart between Navarre and Lowe's. Will be on the left side of the road before Lowe's.
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!
usandacat

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks for the replies.

We are looking forward to some fresh seafood, theres a lot to try.

Eat drink, and relax, thats what we are after.

Thanks again.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:35 pm

Sandstomper....thank you for your sentiments. That is my goal but the timing is simply not right, right now. A few things have to happen first but trust me on this one, I would love to open some type of establishment in the Navarre or Gulf Breeze area. I have some ideas and every one of them have food and good times involved.

I have learned from the very best and the very worst and feel whatever I open will be a success.

Return to “Navarre Mainland and Santa Rosa County”