a good year

Seadog

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:34 pm

just watched a good year, makes me want to move to france and live on a vineyard !!
keywester

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:56 am

is it something you can rent? or at the theaters?
Tex-Sis
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:25 pm

Seadog & key ~ I watched it last night and was so impressed, I wrote up a review on it to share....

A Good Year
(recently released for rental)
http://www.agoodyeardvd.com/

Russell Crowe shines in this role as a British businessman who, upon inheriting his uncle's vineyard, visits it with the intention of selling. When he arrives in beautiful Provence, the childhood memories return, sparking personal development for this man obsessed with "success."

This film, set mainly in Provence, France, could have easily turned syrupy but it didn’t (imho). A visual feast to savor, including the food, wine, and French countryside. The soundtrack is terrific, including several songs by the great Nillson and some wonderful French songs (but then I LOVE French music!!!).

Some of my favorite scenes were the flashbacks showing Crowe’s character as a boy, spending time with his uncle, played wonderfully by Albert Finney. The boy actor, Freddy Highmore, is one of the best young actors on the screen today. Crowe actually comes across as charming (surprised me), and he gave a fine performance, as did Marion Cotillard.

Side note to Seadog: I rented this based on your recommendation. Thank you. Since you liked this film, I’m guessing you might enjoy the 1993 film series, “A Year in Provence,” which I rented so many times I finally had to purchase the entire DVD set. Based on Peter Mayle’s book (and starring Peter Mayle), it’s the story of a British couple who purchase a vineyard in Provence, move there, and “work” on the place. Hilarious and charming, with unforgettable characters. Four DVD’s in the series, representing four seasons. A must watch!

p.s. I learned something new from “A Good Year!” Next time I camp out in central Texas, I’m bringing lavender from my garden, to keep the scorpions away! :shock: :wink: (I'd guess it really does work...)
"To unpathed waters, undreamed shores."
~Shakespeare~

"The Arts can open your heart, free your soul, and inspire your spirit to reach through the blue sky for endless possibilities."
keywester

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:45 am

ok,
my next rental 8) thanks guys
Seadog

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:12 am

have you seen Under the Tuscan Sun ?

Plot: An American lawyer quits her stressful job and travels to Tuscany, Italy looking for a new life, deciding to buy a derelict villa near the village of Cortona. While rebuilding her new home and learning how to live in another country, she finds a new start on life... and love.

WhiteSandsGirl

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:36 am

Seadog wrote:have you seen Under the Tuscan Sun ?

Plot: An American lawyer quits her stressful job and travels to Tuscany, Italy looking for a new life, deciding to buy a derelict villa near the village of Cortona. While rebuilding her new home and learning how to live in another country, she finds a new start on life... and love.

Seadog,

I really enjoyed Under the Tuscan Sun. I love Diane Lane. I think that the scenery was one of the stars of this movie. The movie was quite different from the book.

When we were in Italy many years ago, we went to Cortona and were able to see the house. It was beautiful, but there was lots of security around it. There were too many people like my husband and me that wanted to see the house. :-) Cortona was a tiny and beautiful little Italian Hill town.

I will definitely rent "A good year". I also loved the series, "A year in Provence.".

Sue Schwartz
Seadog

Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:39 am

I will have to hunt down A Year in Provence this weekend.
Seadog

Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:44 pm

got it !! so far very good, i am on spring now working toward summer
DAVEnavarre

Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:52 am

I'd like to recommend

"Harold & Kumar go to White Castle"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366551/
I'm the MAYOR - gotta love me !
vickinoe
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:17 pm

I saw "A Good Year" on my last plane trip. I was too cheap to buy the earphones, but I thought it was a good movie.

I also saw "Marie Antoinette" on the plane, but again I was too cheap to buy the earphones. I liked the movie very much.

I'm going to Puerto Rico on Wednesday of next week. It will be interesting to see what is showing on the plane. However, I refuse to pay $4 for earphones. :roll:

Return to “Movies”