Commissioner’s Beach Causeway Beautification Review

This is where you obtain information about the Beautification Project and discuss issues regarding the project.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:08 pm

On October 9, 2006 at 9:00 a.m., the County Commissioner will review and consider the request of the Navarre Beach Beautification Project committee for an enhancement grant application through the County. The Beautification Project is related to the Causeway from the Navarre Beach Bridge to just south of Juana’s. Nancy Model (County Planning & Engineering) will prepare the request with detailed information and present it to the Commissioners ($600,000 maximum). It must be approved and prioritized by the Commissioners. This will be done by the following Thursday. Roger Blaylock will certainly be there with questions.

This is a milestone for the Beautification Project.
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:52 pm

Kenny,

I am lost as to what this is all about? Is this something over and beyond the pier repair, underwater sanctuary, etc. etc.?

Regardless, what do they want to beautify? The sand areas on the side of the road? I am not sure how much could be done with that area and even if something were done, is it that big of a deal to beautify that little stretch of sand? I am not getting it? Any explanation would be appreciated. Don't know how much that project would cost but could that money not be spent in a more prudent fashion like being put on the pier repair? Many questions?

I am ignorant at the moment on this issue but that sounds like some lame brain idea from the county. Sorry if I am stepping on anyone's toes here but just doesn't make any sense. Again, perhaps this is just a case of my ignorance!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:38 pm

pensacolakid,

Your opinion is well respected and you are in no way stepping on any toes. However, a first impression of your home or your community when somebody drives through the area is very important. That’s why the folks across this great nation plant lawns, flowers and trees in front of their homes and communities.

When you drive across the Navarre Beach Bridge from US Highway 98 and then across the causeway the first impression is the eroded areas on both sides of the road. The erosion was caused by Hurricane Ivan two years ago and Hurricane Dennis a little over a year ago. Also, the seawalls were severely damaged by these two major hurricanes as well, which now has the potential for further erosion that could threaten the causeway road. The causeway road is not a pretty picture for a first impression upon entering Navarre Beach. And neither is it a pretty picture upon leaving Navarre Beach. Therefore, I believe that we should create a prettier picture of the causeway road area.

I’m sure there will be those that think that the money for the proposed Navarre Beach Causeway Beautification Project should be spent somewhere else. And I’m sure that there will be those that disagree with my position for other reasons, and I certainly will respect their opinions. During the different phases of the beach restoration project I took a lot of heat from those that opposed the project. However, the opposition of others never caused me to waiver from my position that Navarre Beach needed to start and complete its beach restoration.

Most of the funding is coming from the state and county. Members of the Navarre Beach Leaseholders/Residence Association (NBLRA) are contributing to the Causeway Beautification Project. Also, individuals and several condo associations have contributed as well. The Belle Mer made a significant contribution to this project a few months ago. This project also has the endorsement of the Navarre Beach Chamber of Commerce.

I will go to the causeway in the morning and take photos of what the causeway actually looks like currently and post them on this forum. And I will post the site plans of the project as soon as they are available. The plans call for the planting of palm trees, sea oats and other native coastal vegetation along a paved bike/walking trail and curbing. There will be limited lawn grass if any to protect the nesting black skimmers from April to September along the gravel areas along the seawalls. The project design will be such that it will conform to the natural surroundings.

Recently I have been appointed to serve on the committee for this project. My main concern for serving on the committee is two fold. First, protect the nesting areas of the black skimmers. Secondly, to offer my suggestions to the committee on how to create a better first impression of those coming across the bridge to the beach, and a better last impression of those leaving the beach. I am very excited about the Causeway Beautification Project, and I think after it is completed everybody will be happy with the new appearance. Well, most everybody.

And of course I will be taking photos of the project from beginning to end where they will be posted on this forum and my online photo galleries.
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
beach4fun

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:58 pm

I think the Beach Causeway Beautification Project is a good idea, and agree with all the reasons stated by Kenny above.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:45 pm

I once chaired (and was the only committee member ;-) -- my husband and I often joked about that!!) of the beautification committee for the C of C in our FORMER little "home"town in Eastern OK. The place was barren and ugly - no trees as far as the eye could see and no reason not to have any (the soil was tested and could support growth). So I proposed a joint effort project to include the local High School's FFA (the instructor and the school board were all in favor of the project), had the promise from a non-profit organization of free trees suited for the area and all we needed was the final decision by the rest of the Chamber members. They voted it down!!! They said all they wanted me to do was run around town and find the prettiest yard of the month! :roll: Thankfully, business ventures moved us to Florida the next year but on a subsequent visit back to the area about 5 years later, there were trees and other plantings that greatly enhanced the look of the area plus serving the purpose of holding the soil that had been eroding!!! I guess the "powers that be" finally died off so some progress could be made! Anyway, the plantings served ecological and environmental enhancements as well as giving the place a friendlier, more cared-for appearance!

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:21 am

Thank you Kenny, Angelgirl, Beach4fun for your thoughts and opinions. Kenny, I understand what you are saying and believe it or not, I am certainly not totally apposed to the beautification of both sides of the road as they are a bit ragged to say the least. My main concern is that they sit so low to the ground, relatively speaking and even with a decent thunderstorm, let alone a tropical system, the wind and salt spray will wipe out planting that is done, similar to what the waves and water do to the beach road. I am just wondering if they plan on redoing it once it is destroyed. Frankly and on a personal note, I know what I am getting coming across that bridge and I have never thought for a second about what that area looks like. Maybe because I am accustomed to it and so familiar with it and know that I am home once I hit that bridge. I do like looking at the "skimmers" nesting on the sides, though!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:29 am

'Kid, I know what you mean, I have to admit I'm the same way now. But I thought back to the first time we came upon NB's entrance while looking for a "quiet beach" and I remember the "welcome area" as if it were yesterday. That beautiful first impression is like a "picture postcard" in my mind. :-)

A.G.
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:50 am

Angelgirl,

I agree with you on that entrance and I am certainly not apposed to making that little area very very nice as it is literally the first thing people see. I think it is pretty now!

Sprucing the causeway up some, I suppose, would not be a bad idea. Personally, I would like to see native plants and tree's and seaoats planted there vs. it looking like a nursery. Any thoughts?

I would go back to the very first entrance, however. There are some slight improvements that could be done that would really enhance the entrance. THAT, is the first thing people see!!

Now, having said all that, do we really want to make it that inviting and appealing? If it is done then we take a chance on thousands more showing up. I am kind of selfish that way!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:15 pm

Redshark,

Thank you for pointing that out to me. Regretfully, I did not read word for word Kenny's original message. Had I done so, I would have obviously seen what was in the plans. Glad to see the bunch of us see eye to eye on the plants and trees!

NO GRASS, though be it Bermuda, St. Augastine, etc.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:26 pm

Thanks for all of your opinions and suggestions. I am now a member of the Navarre Beach Causeway Beautification committee. I will certainly try to help make this project one that all of us will be proud of. The committee will meet on October 12 to discuss the project. After the meeting I will post an update of this beautification project.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:30 pm

8) That's cool, Kenny! Thanks!!!

:-)
A.G.
AngelGirl

PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:55 am

Do us proud, Kenny!

Maybe some tall palm trees. That would be cool and certainly a welcoming to paradise.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:22 am

Folks,

There are some very influential people on the Causeway Beautification Project committee that I sincerely believe will go all out to make of us all “proud” of the causeway entrance to Navarre Beach. Your contributions are welcomed. I’ll post an order form later today where you can contribute to this worthwhile cause. Your contributions may provide for more palm trees and plants.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
navarrebum

Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:01 pm

I can't wait to see our little paradise look like paradise from the entrance! I put my money where my mouth is! Those of us fortunate enough to live on the beach full time or part time will be rewarded!

Return to “Navarre Beach Beautification Project”