What about the causeway fisherman

This is where you obtain information about the Beautification Project and discuss issues regarding the project.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:21 am

CausewayFisherman,

I will pose your valid questions to the other Causeway Beautification committee members when we have our meeting on October 12. I'll respond to your questions promptly after the meeting next week, or sooner if I have information to share.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:08 am

CausewayFisherman,

The committee that I serve on for the Navarre Beach Beautification met yesterday with the County Commissioners in Milton about the causeway project. I have already posted a message on this forum today about the meeting. Go there for more information.

It is my understanding that the causeway beautification project does allow for areas of fishing and other recreation. However, the current regulations will continue whereby the black skimmers nesting areas will be off limits from April 1 thru September 31 each year. The black skimmer nesting areas are protected by federal and state regulations. There will still be plenty of fishing and recreational areas outside of the black skimmer protected areas.

I will post the site plans on this forum when the committee deems that the plans are ready for viewing.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kayak Dave
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:49 pm

Kenny, I love your site and appreciate all the time and effort you have put into it, I use your beach cam for my homepage. But I'm not sure I can agree with you on this one, how can the committee ask for tax money if the site plan is not"deemed to be ready for viewing"?
KayakDave
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:22 am

Kenny, I love your site and appreciate all the time and effort you have put into it, I use your beach cam for my homepage. But I'm not sure I can agree with you on this one, how can the committee ask for tax money if the site plan is not"deemed to be ready for viewing"?
KayakDave
KayakDave,

Your quote above with your concern is quite understandable. However, all information at this time has not been disseminated by the Navarre Beach Beautification Committee in regard to the causeway beautification project. The meeting this week with the County Commissioners and the Beautification Committee, which I am a member of was just a first meeting of many meetings. These ongoing meetings with the County will enable us to prepare a package of information to present to the state whereby we will be asking for a grant. The information has to be assembled by May 2007 where at that time the grant request will be submitted by the County to the state.

At this time we only have a preliminary sketch of the site plan for the beach causeway beautification project. Shown below is a preliminary drawing. The final site plan will provide much more detail. In the next few weeks the committee will work with the County on finalizing the site plan. The grant request will require other documents that include permits that have to be submitted to the US Army Corps of Engineers, Florida DEP, Florida and Federal wildlife conservation agencies, Florida DOT and others. The site plan will have to incorporate designated areas for the “black skimmers” that nest on both sides of the beach causeway. The black skimmer is a federal and state protected bird, so necessary measures will have to be undertaken to protect the black skimmer.

The main reason I am on the beach beautification committee is to be sure that the black skimmer is protected. The causway beautification project is a good thing. It will be a beautiful way to greet all that cross over the bridge to Navarre Beach.

The reason the site plan has not been “deemed ready for viewing” is that at this time we are still in the early planning stages. I will post a site plan on this forum as soon as the committee has one that is acceptable for viewing. The causeway beautification project will be seeking a grant and private contributions. There is no guarantee that the state will approve the grant. There will be a lot of work in the next few months between the committee and the County in preparing documents and required permits for submittal for the grant. This is not going to be easy.

Navarre Beach Causeway Beautification preliminary drawing

Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kayak Dave
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:36 pm

Kenny Wilder wrote:

The main reason I am on the beach beautification committee is to be sure that the black skimmer is protected. The causway beautification project is a good thing. It will be a beautiful way to greet all that cross over the bridge to Navarre Beach.
Kenny, I feel much better about the project since I read your reply. I know you will be standing up for our skimmers and terns. Being able to view the birds on the causeway is a very unique perspective. While in a vehicle the birds go about their lives as normal, get out of the vehicle and the birds will go into protective mode, as I'm sure you know. So to be able to observe them unobtrusively fromm 10-20 feet away is a real thrill.
Please keep us updated.
KayakDave
850-313-9158
Navarre Beach Kayaks
Kayak Eco Tours
http://www.NavarreBeachKayaks.com
Info@NavarreBeachKayaks.com

Return to “Navarre Beach Beautification Project”