Why can't we try to look more like Seaside???

This is where you obtain information about the Beautification Project and discuss issues regarding the project.
chrisfid

Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:55 pm

Hi Kenny,
Being that you are on the Board of Beautification I pose this question to you. Could we not try to make our landscaping along the roadside leading to the beach and along 399 look more like the Seaside area. I just came back from there and the lushness and beauty of the landscaping there is fantastic. I feel like we have a blank slate right now and if we do it right we could give our beach a really special look and feel. Also I think that if all the areas along the road side were lanscaped it would help prevent the sand from blowing over the roads everytime we get a little wind. I just think that our beach is just such a diamond in the rough and when you come back from a place like Seaside it is easy to see( to me ) what direction we should take in the appearance our beach should have. Please give me your thoughts. Thank You
chrisfid

Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:48 pm

Kenny is this a stupid question? You seem to respond to every other question or statement on this sight???
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:24 pm

chrisfid,

I’m sorry I have not responded to your post in the past few days. I have been extremely busy on a lot of projects lately. Your ideas have a lot of merit and coincide with many of my own. However, the causeway beautification project will require a more natural look than Seaside or Destin for some of the following reasons.

1. The Black Skimmer Factor: The US Army Corps of Engineers, Florida Department of Environmental Protection, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife have made it perfectly clear that no permits will be granted for the causeway beautification project unless the site plan provides adequate nesting areas for the black skimmers on both the east and west sides of the causeway road. The causeway beautification committee of which I am a member of are all well aware of the fact that the site plan MUST be designed to accommodate the summer nesting of the black skimmers.

2. If any fill is added to the landscape the black skimmer nesting areas MUST be a certain mixture of sand and gravel that is a close match to what exists there now.

3. The concept is that several islands of elevated areas lined in stone or brick will include several hundred sago palm trees, sea oats and other native plants. These landscape islands will have an irrigation system to keep the palm trees and plants healthy. I have already posted on this forum a rough sketch of the preliminary design. The committee along with the help of Santa Rosa County will be working together to design a beautiful causeway in the coming months that I think all of us will be proud of. Then the County will submit paperwork for a grant to the State to fund the project.

4. The causeway design also will include a paved walking and bicycle trail.

The committee is also working on the beautification of the entrance to the Navarre Beach Bridge from US Highway 98. Maybe we could incorporate your ideas of Seaside here. In the next few days I will drive over to Seaside to see what their landscaping looks like. I’ll make a few photos and submit them to the beautification committee for consideration. The entrance to the bridge and the causeway and up to the Tom Thumb area is the only area that the committee is currently working on.

I would personally would like to see Gulf Blvd. be the next beautification project. It would be nice to have sea oats planted between Gulf Blvd. and the walking and bicycle trail. And I would like to see benches and a water fountain about every 2,000 feet.

Folks, your ideas and comments are very important. This is your beach, too.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
chrisfid

Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:50 pm

Kenny
Thank you so much for responding. I think if you took a look at the Sea Side and WaterColor area especilly along the roadsides you will see what I am referring to, Great Idea !!I appreciate all your hard work. I also agree that gulf Blvd should be the next project. Of course those areas (Watercolor, Seaside)are all planned developments with associations fees, I believe to pay for all the up keep. I could be wrong.

Thank you
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:59 am

Chrisfid,

First, thank you for your comments on the beautification project as all comments are welcome and some good ideas can come from "throwing one's two cents in" as you have so eloquently done!

I would like to comment on your thoughts being one who has spent an enormous amount of time in both locations in question but mainly in the Navarre area (since 1970). There is no doubt the Destin/Seaside/Watercolor areas and the others surrounding them are quite beautiful. Stunning in many cases. However, I for one would not like to "look like Seaside",or any of those other areas for the following reasons. Of course the reasons stated by Kenny speak for themselves. First, do we really want (Navarre) to look like something/somebody else? I and I am sure many, like the originality of Navarre/NB. Secondly, the crowds and traffic of those areas to the east of Destin are horrendous! I for one would not like to eventually have to fight that type of crowding. Thirdly, have you seen the prices of rentals and purchases in that neck of the woods. Many could not and can not even afford to rent for a week over there. Fourthly and as you stated, I am sure some of it, if not all of it is planned with dues and homeowners associations, etc.

Yes, those areas are very very nice but NB is one of a kind, truly nice indeed and once the hurricane fixing up is done (which Destin and areas east of there did not suffer nearly as much) is complete, to include the causeway beautification project, I believe you will see a new side to Navarre Beach.

Again, your input and questions are appreciated but just wanted to add my two cents as well.
chrisfid

Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:48 pm

Hi seahorse

Count on me I would never want to look like Destin with all the highrises and traffic. What is so wrong with having a lush, full landscaping? I mean Seaoats are pretty and all but we could do so much more!! No offense to anyone but the whole area down there, I believe, has got a stigma of being a little redneck town.. We have the opportunity to step it up and put that behind us.. I have been looking at a bag of mulch leaning up against a palm tree at the entrace for months now, it's unacceptable and looks bogus. just my 2 cents
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:18 am

Chris, years and years ago when we first visited the area, I too had much the same idea concerning the seaoats until I learned what they do for the environment ... it's not so much about what you see above ground that is so significant, it's the root system of these eco-saving plants that is the important factor. Another fact to put into your databank concerning Seaside and that area ... the flora of that area was not as badly impacted by Ivan and Dennis as that in the Navarre~Pensacola area. We're still in "recovery mode" here. It really hasn't had time to become "lush", yet.
Isn't it wonderful that there is so much "environmental diversity" in the panhandle?

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
navarrebum

Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 am

I would like to see the Navarre Press and the PNJ comment on the fact that inspite of the island being taxed to the hilt, the county has nothing to do with this, it is ALL PRIVATE FUNDS. It would be nice if the rest of the county knows that the "fat cats" on the beach are spending our own money to provide everyone coming to the beach eye candy! Just a comment.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 am

True - all private funds, but I think some of "mainlanders" have also contributed to the project. And we're ALL being taxed to the hilt - "islanders" and "mainlanders" alike!
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!

Return to “Navarre Beach Beautification Project”