Grocery Store choice - locals input appreciated

This forum is where you discuss restaurants, bars, grocery stores, fish markets, gift shops, beach wear and other retail stores in the Navarre Beach and Navarre Mainland.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:48 pm

Question for the residents.....of Publix, Winn-Dixie and now Wal-Mart, what is your preference and why? Cost? variety? Meat/Seafood? Produce?

I have heard from a friend that Winn-Dixie has the best meat....Publix the best produce. What about price difference?
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:09 am

Personally, I prefer Publix. The employees really care about the customers .... the store is always clean. They have a larger selection. Prices on some things are higher and some are lower. Their price on corned beef was 30 cents a lb. less than W/D. Yes, their produce is fresher and displayed better. Their fresh fish selection is better. I know that W/D has touted their meat as being better .... sometimes yes, and sometimes no.

I really don't care to grocery shop at Walmart anymore. It is just too large. The frozen foods and dairy are all at the very back of the store. Whoever planned that one? Your ice cream starts melting before you even get to the check out.
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:41 pm

EBB,

Thanks for the input! I have been a Winn-Dixie fan since it went up.....probably out of history and or memory, if nothing else.

We did our shopping at Wal-Mart last year to save the pennies. WAS NOT WORTH THE PAIN! I would rather spend an extra $10 bucks and keep my sanity.
Tracy210T

Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:35 pm

oh, if money is no issue, Publix ba-bee 8)
Id shop there all the time if I could.. sadly, with 3 kids, a husband and 3 dogs, we are on a budget.. I mainly use Publix for the produce, you cant beat the freshness.. WD .. I avoid for the most part.. they have gotten pricey on alot of things people can get at walmart alot cheaper (painful as walmart is).. we meal plan and (TRY) to do one shopping trip a week and thats the navarre walmart... money wise, I really do get more there for the money. We are able to get the bird food, dog food, powdered pool shock, air filters, etc all in one sweep there..
I hate walmart but until I win the lottery, thats where we spend about $1000 a month :roll:
... just dreamin' of the beach, as usual...
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:16 am

I go to Winn-Dixie if I have a large shopping day or need meats. Publix is close to the house and their bakery is much better than anywhere else. I go to Wal-Mart if I have other things to get but their meat department is terrible.
waterlogged

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:00 am

Publix: Produce
Walmart: Everything else
Winn Dixie: if I need one thing and I am too lazy to go to Pubix or Walmart.

Asian Pride if I need rice noodles.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:35 am

I forgot to add this .... (seems I'm always talking about restrooms) the ladies restroom at W/D is awful .... dirty floor, sink, smells bad, just plain icky. Granted, Publix is a much newer store, but their restroom is always spotless.

The clerks at Publix are always attentive to the customers .... W/D clerks would rather talk about what they did at school, who they're dating, etc. Someone should clue them in on where the $$ to pay them is coming from.
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:55 am

Thank you everyone for your input. Very helpful!

EBB, I have noticed that about the clerks at Winn-Dixie. I wish the management would get a clue because in my opinion, many things have slipped at that store.

Since I teach on this subject often......dirty restrooms, often give pause to, "what else may be wrong here".....be it a grocery store, a restaurant, my kids school. Filth, smell reflects negatively on many things. Businesses often fail to get that message.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:09 pm

Maybe it's a carry over from my real estate days ... the women always look at the bathrooms and kitchens first. They want them nice and shiny clean .... guess the same goes for stores, restaurants, etc.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:59 am

Publix!!!!! (they also are always contributing/donating something to the community, too)
Price not a big issue for us - we are two - who eat like one (and still carry too much weight! - metabolism slows as we get more "mature"!)
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:36 am

Sounds like Publix, overall is the winner. Each has a purpose for sure but seemingly Publix is the preferred grocery store of the residents. I am normally a laid back kind of guy but Wal-Mart makes me nervous, especially in the summer.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:45 pm

P'Kid ~ I've shopped Publix on both coasts in no less than 10 towns, as we also lived on the East aka "other" coast of FL for 7 years. Tried all the stores and often shopped more than one per excursion. However, Publix ~ on all levels ~ won hands-down for us.

To give you a reference point, generally speaking, because you always have the odd exception, I'd say that Publix equates w/the "upscale" Texas' brand H.E.B. Central Markets.

:-)
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:32 pm

Hey....I'm sold AG! Thanks for the comparison. I have actually been in the Publix down in Gulf Breeze and enjoyed it. I am a bit miffed at Winn-Dixie for slacking. Brings back good memories going to Winn-Dixie!
Tracy210T

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:23 am

EastBayBabe wrote:I forgot to add this .... (seems I'm always talking about restrooms) the ladies restroom at W/D is awful .... dirty floor, sink, smells bad, just plain icky. Granted, Publix is a much newer store, but their restroom is always spotless.

oh, you are so right about this, YUCK. Same with the WD in Gulf Breeze.. disgusting.
... just dreamin' of the beach, as usual...
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:42 am

AngelGirl wrote: I'd say that Publix equates w/the "upscale" Texas' brand H.E.B. Central Markets.
Having lived and shopped at HEB's in general, and the "flagship HEB Central Market" in particular, in San Antonio for three+ years (1998-2002) - I will have to disagree - Publix equates with the "normal" HEB store (which are very, very good!) - but not their "Central Market" flagship stores - at least not the one in San Antonio - which was truly "excellent" in all respects - especially number of choices (300+ cheeses, 30 different peppers or mushrooms, aged prime beef, ready to eat deli items, etc. - and ability to find "uncommon" items), and outstanding customer service at all times.
The HEB Central Markets were more like the "Fresh Market" in Destin - except the Central Markets were 3-4-times as big.
Last edited by Pete on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!

Return to “Navarre Beach Area & Navarre Mainland Restaurants, Sports Bars & Retail Stores”