Navarre Beach Turtle Days Celebration

Navarre Beach Fun Fest, Mardi Gras, Beaches to Rivers, and Navarre Beach Arts Festival. Surrounding area has many special events including the Blue Angels’ air shows in July and November and the Pensacola Power of Photography Show.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu May 24, 2007 8:52 am

The Turtles Are Coming!

I have a vision for Navarre Beach that I would like to share with you. Well, actually I got the idea from Peter Ravella, the consultant for the Navarre Beach Restoration Project. I would like to see Navarre Beach have a Turtle Days Celebration in May every year beginning in May 2008. The event would be a week-long event to celebrate the turtle nesting season and the beginning of summer.

I would like to see the Navarre Beach Turtle Days Celebration become a charitable event where the monies would go to Sea Turtle protection and the Navarre Beach Beautification Project.

Navarre Beach is the best place in Florida for this type of event. Navarre Beach's 3.7 miles has another 8 miles of undeveloped National Seashore (National Park) to the west and 1 mile of the State Park to the east.

The Navarre Beach Turtle Days Celebration could include the following events:

• A week long Celebration.

• An art exhibit at the Navarre Beach county parking lot by the fishing pier.

• Turtle Tea-Tasting Reception at the Butter Fly House with tickets at $5.00 per person.

• Sand Turtle Arribada with special sand turtle workshops.

• Lighting of the Tiki Torches – with flotilla of kayaks traveling along the Santa Rosa Sound and under the Navarre Beach Bridge and arriving at Juana’s.

• Bands, food and other entertainment.

• The culminating event, The Turtle Ball, a fanciful masked costume ball with the theme: “Where Sea Creatures Meet Sanderella”. The Ball could be held at the Comfort Inn Conference Center. Maybe one of the local restaurants like Cocodrie’s’ could provide food and beverage. Tickets for the Turtle Ball could be $25.00 per person.

The week-long celebration would be intended to raise awareness of the turtle nesting season on Navarre Beach.

The week-long celebration would be intended to make this an annual celebration that would draw visitors to Navarre Beach and educate people about the Sea Turtle and the work the turtle protection organization does to help protect and preserve these beautiful creatures that grace the shores of Navarre Beach.

What say you?
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:05 am, edited 9 times in total.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Thu May 24, 2007 10:10 am

Great idea, Kenny! Sounds like you've got it all planned. I appoint Kenny in charge of the festivities! :)

Probably too late to get going this year, but plenty of time to plan for next.
I would be happy to help.

EBB
vickinoe
Power User
Power User

Tue May 29, 2007 12:43 pm

Don't forget about the turtle races.
navarrebum

Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:52 am

Kenny, this is the best idea yet! This needs to be posted on Navarre Beach catagory also as some won't click on this thread. Let me know how I can help. Planning an event such as this takes lot's of time and the more that get involved, the easier it is. Kate Wilkes is the new director for tourism and is a friend of mine. I am sure she could be very excited aout this.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:47 am

Thanks navarrebum for offering your assistance. The fact that you owned an art gallery in Key West, your ideas about how to organize an art show for the Turtle Days Celebration would be most helpful. Your being a successful business owner would certainly be helpful. We are going to need a lot of help from those that live in the Navarre Beach area and from those out of state.

Last week after the County Commissioner’s public meeting over the High-Rise rezoning application debate, Chad the owner of Cocodrie’s and I talked about the Turtle Days Celebration special event for about an hour. Chad has some great ideas, too. However, Chad says this special event needs be organized by those that will get this off the ground and running. I talked with Commissioner Goodin a few days ago and he was very excited about this special event becoming a reality.

What ideas do you folk’s have for the one week Turtle Days Celebration every May?

LET'S MAKE IT HAPPEN!
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:11 am

Kenny - Count me in as willing to help out. Caveman's idea of a sand sculpture contest sounds great! We are leaving for the north next week, but will be back the end of September ... so after that, I'm here to help.

Sounds like a wonderful event! EBB
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:44 pm

Kenny,

Count me in. Perhaps we could incorporate a beach/causeway clean-up into event at the beginning.

Navarrian 8)
Randymetro
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:51 pm

I heard that two turtles started the party early the other day in front of the Pearl.
WhiteSandsGirl

Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:10 pm

Randymetro wrote:I heard that two turtles started the party early the other day in front of the Pearl.
Randy,

That is really, really funny!!!

Sue
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:19 pm

Yes, Randy, that's very funny .... ahhhh, what were they doing? Singing, dancing, drinking, making turtle sand castles, or?

EBB
navarrebum

Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:20 am

Living in Key West for ten years, there was always a celebration of some sort and loads of art shows. We actually celebrated sunset every night with a carnival atmosphere at the Pier. There was always something for the tourists to do and they loved it! I am sure with good organization and getting started early this could come to be the event of the year in the Panhandle, like Fantasy Fest at Halloween is in Key West. We need lots of volunteers and a ton of publicity!
lss

Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:57 pm

Here's an interesting link on sea turtle conservation.

http://www.cccturtle.org
newsun3

Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:12 am

Kenny, I'm new to the forum, but I would love to be included in the Turtle Celebration. It is time we celebrate everything about our beautiful beaches! Keep up the great work!
We want 2 live in Navarre
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:40 am

I am definitely in and I think it is the perfect idea Kenny, I also like caveman's idea of the sand sculpturing. We will come next year for sure my anniversary is may 10th and we will be planning to go to Navarre then next year. We can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good thinking guys and gals.

Red :lol:
Someday we will call Navarre Beach our Home!
We want 2 live in Navarre
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:18 pm

Do not click on chelsea's links they are viruses
Someday we will call Navarre Beach our Home!

Return to “Area Special Events”