What Month Is Your Preference For A NB Gumbo Festival?

Navarre Beach Fun Fest, Mardi Gras, Beaches to Rivers, and Navarre Beach Arts Festival. Surrounding area has many special events including the Blue Angels’ air shows in July and November and the Pensacola Power of Photography Show.

Best Month For NBeach Gumbo Festival

Poll ended at Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:14 am

October
31%
January
13%
February
13%
March
6%
April
25%
May
6%
June
6%

Total votes: 16
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:14 am

Of the months listed, what would be your preference for having a Navarre Beach Gumbo Festival?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:18 am

We talked about it at our house and thought that October would be a good time if you wanted to get maximum (free) publicity w/the Beaches to Woodlands events...just a thought.

;-) 8)
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:36 pm

For the locals....What are the different activities/Festivals that occur during the October to May timeframe. I know FunFest is in June. What "headlining" events take place in October, February, March, April and May....EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS, as EBB pointed out?
blackbird

Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:52 pm

Got the art festival going on this coming weekend
http://www.gnbaa.org/
then,...........I can't think of too much going on till Mardi Gras. (Feb 2nd)
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:22 pm

What is crawfish season?
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:39 pm

November to May
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:41 pm

Don't forget about the vacationers in the summer, and the snowbirds in the winter.

After the end of August, the summer bunch returns home, but the snowbirds don't start showing up until December or so.

We'd want maximum exposure, so do you want a loud crowd, or a more mature quieter crowd?

Oh, gee, now I've opened a can of worms!! I've got myself confused now.

EBB
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:36 am

EBB,

Ya know, in trying to think this through, my initial thinking is to have this event mainly for the "locals" and those that would be willing to drive 2-4 hours for the weekend event. I do not foresee this being a "summer" type festival because the crowds (festival and ordinary summer crowd) could/would be potentially, too big for the island. Plus, it is just too hot to have this type of thing during June-Sept. Although I am a little disappointed that I have only heard from 6 people on the "month" to be held, I am confident it would be in the Oct, Feb, Mar or April time frame.

By the way, I wrote to all the pertinent members of the Navarre Beach COC, yesterday and provided them a synopsis of what my idea entails. As of this morning, I have not heard from either of the 5. I will keep everyone posted.
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:34 am

Pkid,

Historically, October is a busy month for festivals in the area. I know of the following:
Destin Seafood Festival October 5-7
Navarre - Coastal Encounters Festival October 6
Jay - Peanut Festival October 6
Pensacola Pride Fest Oct 8-14
Navarre Beach - The Fall Festival of Arts Oct 12-14 (Yours truly will be singing with our Church Choir -Bass :lol: )
Milton - Annual Blackwater Bike Fest Oct 13
Niceville - Annual Boggy Bayou Mullet Festival Oct 18-21
Pensacola - The Interstate Fair October 18-28
Panama City - Jazz By The Bay Festival Oct 19-20
Destin - Annual Festival of the Arts - Oct 27-28
Santa Rosa County - Annual Beaches to Woodlands Tour (each weekend in Oct)
Seaside - Annual Seeing Red Wine Festival Nov 1-4
Ft Walton Beach - The Northwest Florida Fair, Nov 2-11

I almost forgot Juanas Chili Cookoff - Oct 14th

All these are within easy driving distance and would be competition. Of course I would be in the Seafood Gumbo cook off to see who takes 2d place (or is that the 1st loser?):lol:

Navarrian 8)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:49 am

Navarrian,

Thanks for the very detailed update on the "happening's" in and around the Navarre area in October.

I believe it safe to say that should something come to fruition, the chances of having it in October are slim to none! Too much competition!

March or April is looking more and more like the timeframe. I have also yet to hear from any member of the COC. That may have some bearing on it as well!
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:22 am

Gulf Shores Seafood Festival is this weekend.
lstanley

Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:49 am

Mardi Gras is an electic time in Navarre. A bit chilly some days but there are partygoers on the island.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:54 am

lstanley,

I thought about that month for this event and am not totally opposed to it with Mardi Gras being tied in with Gumbo, however, I would be concerned about the weather. People just would not come out for this type of outdoor event (I don't think), if it were in the 40's and raining!
keywester

Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:38 pm

i like march or april. people are anxious to get to the beach for spring... its warmed up... after mardi gras and before the summer season. if you want some crowds/tourists... april is better... spring break.

Return to “Area Special Events”