Heard Back From the President

Navarre Beach Fun Fest, Mardi Gras, Beaches to Rivers, and Navarre Beach Arts Festival. Surrounding area has many special events including the Blue Angels’ air shows in July and November and the Pensacola Power of Photography Show.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:56 pm

Just thought I would let you know that I did in fact, hear back from the President of the Navarre Beach Chamber of Commerce - Mark Williams.

I very much appreciate Mark keeping his word to take my idea of a Navarre Beach Gumbo Cookoff to the board, to see if we could make this happen. Unfortunately, he said the NBCOC already had enough on the calendar and although a good idea, they were not interested....I am paraphrasing here but in a nutshell that is what it said.

He did say that he would forward the contact information to me for the NB Arts Association and that they may want to take this up as an event. I have yet to communicate this with them but should they turn it down.....I would be looking for alternatives.

No good deed (thought) goes unpunished, I guess!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:24 pm

This morning I heard from a representative of the NB Arts Association, Connie Jones via a message from her to Mark Williams. She mentioned to Mark Williams (the NBCOC President) that the Gumbo Cookoff sounded like something they would like to do as an individual event in and of itself or possibly in conjunction with something else. Either way, I feel it would be a wonderful time for everyone. I will keep you posted on her responses.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:17 pm

That's very encouraging!

:-)
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:05 pm

Okay! Now we're getting some where! Let's all chant: We want gumbo! We want gumbo! We want gumbo! :D

EBB
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:28 pm

P'kid ... We all appreciate your efforts ... you go guy, go! It's going to be a good time for everyone ....... and we're all going to chip in to help out! Just so it's not when we're up north. I think the Art Fest was the first part of October, wasn't it? I'll have to look it up. You've got a great idea, let's not let it die on the vine.

Let's everyone get on board!! EBB
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
keywester

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:26 am

well pkid,
i really like your idea... if you don't get anyone else... pbphs could organize and host your event in nbeach as a fundraiser for .... maybe the national seashore.... or another cause if anyone has one.
maybe we should change our name from pensacola beach preservation and historical society to santa rosa island preservation and historical society.... 8) i've always felt that much of the history pbeach likes to take credit for should rightfully be shared by the island.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:50 am

Hey thanks for the words, EBB and Keywester! I have yet to hear back from Connie over at the NB Arts Festival Assoc. She had one of those 'blocks" on her address, whereby you have to fill in your personal information and if she wants to add you, then the message that you sent would be sent to her. I filled out the information but have yet to hear from her. I will most likely try again.

Keywester, we may have to entertain that idea! I would like to see this take off and some entity profit from it and the PBPHS would be as good a one as any.
keywester

Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:04 pm

well pkid my friend,
just let me know. i'm in town each spring until mid-may. so any time before that. i'm an old event coordinator by profession, so it would be fun. but pbphs likes to raise $$$ for other causes. so if pbphs/sriphs organizes this event, we'd have to think of an island need to donate any proceeeds to. 8)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:46 am

CausewayFisherman,

We fully understand your sentiments. Keywester, as you stated, is being very gracious to make the offer and she even states that we would hold it in NB but that certain monies would have to go to a charity "on the island." That is the type of "step up" friend I like!!

I am firmly commited to having the event (if we can pull it off) at Navarre Beach. That is where my heart and soul are and where I have dreamed of having the event. I would prefer the money raised to go to something in or around the NB area...who knows, maybe even the Zoo or animal shelters, or toys for tots or Make a Wish Foundation. That can be decided later of course. I also view this event as a "paying" event and not a "donation" event. Now grant it, I am in Houston, where nothing is free but I have never been to a festival (other than a church sponsered one) that does not charge some type of fee. For that fee though, on gets to EAT and possibly be entered into a raffle or give-a-ways. I am quite sure people would pay 5-10 bucks for a morning/afternoon of seafood fun!! I am really more concerned with whether we can have enough interest in the potential ,"PARTICIPANTS/CHEFS." I know Navarrian, Go Fish, Southernbreeze and a couple of others have expressed interest but what about those in other bordering states and cities????

Now, I also like your idea of speaking with Chad at Cocodries. I had a 45 minute phone conversation with Kenny Wilder yesterday in which he also mentioned contacting Chad. I have also had others mention him as well. I will be doing this shortly and if anyone has his e-mail or mailing address, it would be most appreciated. As it pertains to the building that Cocodries occupies, I may one of only a handful of people who have patronized that place through each of the 4 themes/names it has been (Liolio's, The Fish House, The Palm and now Cocodries). Maybe that may help in the "brownnosing" arena!!!!

As always, your thoughts, suggestions and input are not only appreciated but crucial!!
keywester

Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:24 pm

fisherman,
i understand your sentiments. 8) completely

pkid,
i too ate there under all four names. :wink: my offer stands.... use me as a last resort, if need be. it is just a matter of time before i ask my board again if we can change our name to santa rosa island preservation and historic society. i have had a number of navarre folks ask me why navarre wasn't included. our mission statement includes the whole island and i actually asked my board to change the name 2 years ago, and they said we should wait until there was a more specific reason/request to include navarre :roll: (those guys are no longer on our board)
not to go off on the subject, but i am president and founder of this organization and i do personally feel pensacola takes a LOT of the historical significance credit for the events that happened on santa rosa island. some of it on national seashore property between the two beaches. i was born in santa rosa county. spent my youth on navarre beach when not much was there. my retirement home will be built in the next 2 or 3 years on my lot next to the national seashore. you can just bet that it will be my goal to have some of that historical recognition go they way of navarre. 8) only fair.
didn't mean to get off your subject pkid... i may be eating at cocodries tomorrow.... think i'll order some gumbo :P
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:36 pm

Santa Rosa Island Preservation and Historical Society?

keywester,

I think that changing the Pensacola Beach Preservation and Historical Society name makes good sense. I suggest that your organization change its name to Santa Rosa Island Preservation and Historical Society. After all Pensacola Beach, Navarre Beach, Fort Pickens and the National Seashore are all located on Santa Rosa Island.

I won a bet with my wife several years ago that Pensacola Beach, Fort Pickens, Gulf Islands National Seashore, Navarre Beach, Eglin AFB beach property and Fort Walton Beach are all located on Santa Rosa Island. I won the bet. All of the above mentioned beaches are located on the Santa Rosa Island that starts at the western end of Fort Pickens, which is a part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore and extends to the eastern end of Fort Walton Beach.

By changing your organization name to the Santa Rosa Island Preservation and Historical Society you will bring about an exciting and positive union of all the beaches mentioned above. Let me know what this forum can do to bring this vision into fruition.

Click on the link below for historical information about this area that I posted on this forum several months ago.

http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/forum/v ... php?t=1738

How about naming the gumbo festival the Santa Rosa Island Gumbo Festival? It will bring in a lot of people.
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:10 pm

Excellent idea, Kenny!

Let's do it, P'Kid. OK with you Key?

EBB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:46 am

Keywester,

Good thoughts my friend! I like your and Kenny's ideas. That is the perfect name for the event! I must warn you, Keywester, you can get Gumbo at Cocodries but it is not seafood or shrimp!

I would also like to get some ideas as to what the graphic for the event may look like. I am talking for the hats, t-shirts, posters, etc. Taking ALL suggestions. What makes the island what it is? What should the artwork encompass? How do we grab the very essence of the island and put it in color on any of the above? Am I making myself clear? This is when all can contribute and I may just make another thread! My first thought was to have the main color base be emerald green and blue. However, what do you guys think? I also would like to have some "phrase" or "saying" associated with the event, similar to what, say, Flounders has on their's...."If it smells like fish, it must be Flounders!" Again and I have said it previously, I like the following..."Santa Rosa Island for your soul, Gumbo for your bowl - 2008!"

What say you!!!
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:34 am

Love the motto, P'Kid. I'll put my thinking cap on and see what ideas I can come up with for the graphic. Maybe a steaming bowl of gumbo could be included ... that's just my first thought.

Have a great day! EBB
keywester

Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:24 pm

"By changing your organization name to the Santa Rosa Island Preservation and Historical Society you will bring about an exciting and positive union of all the beaches mentioned above. Let me know what this forum can do to bring this vision into fruition"

thanks kenny 8)
i couldn't have said it better. we beach communities on srisland could help each other with the issues that face us, and personally i do believe the island holds some of the most impressive history in the COUNTRY. what can this forum do to make this happen? 8) join the preservation society. i'd love to get a couple of navarre beach life folks on our board at the annual meeting next spring. i've already talked to you about how exciting it would be to have a master naturalist such as yourself involved in our future.
i'll go to my board and membership about changing the name again. :P

i love the name SRIGFestival too. pkid... i will put on my thinking cap. how exciting.

Return to “Area Special Events”