Need Your Input on Colors, Name, Graphics??

Navarre Beach Fun Fest, Mardi Gras, Beaches to Rivers, and Navarre Beach Arts Festival. Surrounding area has many special events including the Blue Angels’ air shows in July and November and the Pensacola Power of Photography Show.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:40 am

Good morning folks! I guess you could say I am pretty persistent on getting this Gumbo Cookoff Festival going. Just trying to secure some ideas right now but would very much appreciate your input on the following. By the way, in case you have not seen the thread, Keywester and Kenny Wilder have offered, what I feel is an outstanding name for the Festival

Santa Rosa Island Gumbo Festival

Pretty catchy if you ask me!! Kind of says what it is, right! No need to re-invent the wheel here. HOWEVER........

I would like to start putting together some of the pieces of the puzzle that can be done well ahead of time. In addition, I (we) are looking for anyone and everyone to put their two cents worth into this. Please provide your input as to the following. At some point in the near future, I hope to have enough suggestions and input whereby we can actually do a poll right here on the forum to get the solid answers to the following:

1. The color choice for the artwork (posters, hats, t-shirts, etc.) Allow me to cast the first vote but it is only the first.....Emerald Green and Cobalt blue or even very light blue, with some sunset colors thrown in there for good measure.

2. What the artwork should highlight or show? The bridge? The national seashore? What makes the island what it is? Maybe it is the beach and the water along with the seaoats? Maybe it is one of the pictures Kenny took a couple of years ago that shows (from a height) the beach on the left and the Sound on the right? Maybe it is a shot of, as you are standing on the beach looking toward Fort Walton or Pensacola the other way or both?? Maybe it is a picture (graphic wise of course) of a couple of people sitting out on a deck, bowl in hand, looking out to the Gulf? Maybe that picture but with a dolphin jumping in back or perhaps 2-3 dolphin in a wave, fishing? Also, maybe a person or two walking on the beach. Maybe we should incorporate the KISS principle here....KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID! How about a big bowl with steam coming up but this steam cloud is like a cartoon/idea caption that encompasses any or all of the above? Perhaps a panoramic view that encompasses the above. Start playing around with it and shoot out your ideas! What do you think?

3. The Catch Phrase or Saying...for the event that could be mentioned on the merchandise or advertising? I like my initial phrase but certainly open to any and all ideas. Mine was/is SANTA ROSA ISLAND...."It fills your soul, like Gumbo in a bowl!"

4. Entry fee's? How much? The folks living in the area should know best. I know here in Houston, this type of event would be $10-15 bucks for adults and $5-7 for kids. I was also thinking, by paying this fee, not only could they sample the products, but their ticket would enter them into a raffle (we can talk about the prizes and from whom, later). In addition, perhaps they could also buy additional raffle tickets, similar to buying extra mulligans in a golf tournament.

5. Advertisers and Donors? Who? Who would donate funds or merchandise in exchange for the advertising? Remember, we are talking Fort Walton to Pensacola here! Think Boat/Fishing operators, car dealers, restaurants, businesses, hotels, etc.

6. Volunteer's? Who could we start putting down as a VOLUNTEER? I will certainly make the trip over for several weekends to assist, pass out posters, negotiate with sponsors, etc.

6. Lastly, I would welcome what rules you feel should be in place for this event. Remember, hopefully, there will be contestants coming in from many places to compete. As I have stated before, I have but two rules I would put into place. #1: your entry must be of a seafood nature and be in a soup form although, if you can "sell" me on other seafood dishes being eligible, I am completely open. Secondly, a competitors "camp" must be self-contained from the time they enter the parking lot, until the time they leave. No additional trips to the store nor can they have friends, relatives or anyone else go to the store for them. You bring in everything you need that first time.

7. OH, forgot about this...Alcohol or not? I mean beer/wine only available. I know that not having this available will keep many from coming. Most like a good cold beer or nice glass of wine with their Gumbo. Remember, we will have plenty of police and as many festivals as I have been to that have offered this, I can not remember any problems. By far, people are responsible and this is not the type of event where the .5% comes to get liquored up and cause trouble. Personally, I like to have one or both with mine as well as while cooking. I say YES to offering both, along with several other non-alcoholic drinks. These sales will also dramatically increase the overall take, thus providing more dollars for the charity.

8. OK, on the Charity issue....To whom shall the proceeds go? I am open to any suggestion but would prefer the proceeds actually helping someone or animals in the area. In other words, go to a true NEED vs. a want. The pier, the underwater sanctuary, litter clean up, etc., those types of things to me, take a back seat to the REAL needs of people and animals. I want someone's life or an animals life to be improved because of this!

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS FOLKS! ALSO, BY ALL MEANS, IF YOU FEEL THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE THAT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED RIGHT NOW AND NEEDS THE INPUT OF THE MASSES, THROW IT OUT THERE?? Look forward to hearing from you!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:58 am

I just got off the phone with Chad, the owner at Cocodrie's. He is interested in discussing the idea of hosting the Santa Rosa Island Gumbo Festival. Chad wants me to come over to the restaurant this afternoon to discuss this further. After I conclude my discussion with Chad I will contact pensacolakid and get his input. Maybe a conference call between us three would be helpful.

Thanks pensacolakid for spearheading this special event.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:27 am

Thank you Kenny! I would be available this afternoon with some slight notice. Or, you may want to advise him of the threads we have posted on this. Between them all, he should have a pretty good idea of what is or would be entailed.

I (we) appreciate your willingness to meet with Chad and get this going and any/all input you provide.
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:34 am

If possible I would like to see the proceeds go towards the beautification and preservation of Santa Rosa Island. This would go right along with the title of the Santa Rosa Island Gumbeaux (notice spelling, just had to throw that in) Festival. As for the other ideas, I'll get back to you. I like the ideas PK of the colors.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:53 pm

JohnnyAngel, AG, EBB, Navarrian, WhiteSandsGirl, DAVEnavarre, GoFish, Kenny, Blackbird, heyyall....who am I missing that actually lives there?

Anyway, guys and gals, wanted to address you specifically, simply because you actually live on or near the island and can have much impact on this potential festival.

As I stated in my very lengthy post this morning, the feedback of those that love the island and the N/NB area, is very important, whether they live there or not. However, there are going to be many on this forum who will either not be able to participate or even make the festival, due to time contstraints and/or distance/logistics. Although their opinions and suggestions are wanted and appreciated and may very well be used, it is very important that you, the people that actually live there, help to get input from those friends, neighbors and others that you come into contact with on a daily basis. In other words, I would really appreciate the feedback of many that actually live there. I simply do not feel that based on who is actually on here on any given day/night and the logistics involved that we will be able to get enough feedback to make the crucial decisions that need to be made. I offer the thread concerning which month to hold this event, as an example! Just not enough feedback or interest! Again and please don't misunderstand me for those of you reading this but living away from the island, I really do want your input and some of it may very well impact these decisions but I also understand that it is easy to dismiss a 'call for ideas, suggestions, etc.', when you really have little to no stake or payoff in the outcome. This may not be coming over the way I am intending but hope you understand my point.

I would simply welcome those of you who live there to talk this project up to your school friends, co-workers, fellow boaters/sailors, church families, friends, neighbors, etc. I would really like to see some responses to the 8-9 questions I posted earlier, from those that actually live there. After all, the vast majority of attendee's will be locals and many of the contestants, the same. Therefore, their impact is vital as well. So, please, next time you visit, have a party, go to lunch, at work, after church, etc., any and all feedback on all these issues would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to try and make this happen come he** or high water! Well, I guess I shouldn't say, "high water", around these parts. Probably shouldn't say he**, either! Ok, I am going to give it the ol' college try in making this come to fruition!!! As always, your time and attention is appreciated!

I am wondering if I were to condense the 8-9 questions into a 'survey' type questionnaire with "other" as an option on each question, if that would make it easier on everyone. Heck, for all I know, I may be the only one excited about this idea/concept!!
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:15 pm

P'Kid - I think you've got us ALL excited ... I am, and I'll certainly talk it up with anyone I run into just to see what they think. We ALL want to see this to fruition ... it's a fabulous idea, and we thank you for the idea and all the work and thoughts you have put into this. I answered your questions, I'm sure the rest will, too. It's just been such beautiful weather around here, things are very quiet on the forum. Everyone is busy outside, or watching football games. :)

I might have missed it, or I'm getting confused ... thoughts have been tossed around about dates and sponsors ... what month was it boiled down to? And will it be in association with the Arts Fest? Although I think that was decided against. See, I'm getting discaboobulated! :lol:

I'm still chanting "WE WANT GUMBO, WE WANT GUMBO". Common' gang let's get on it!

EBB
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:37 am

EBB,

First, I understand there are a lot of things going on right now and even more so as we get closer to Christmas. People are not going to want to participate in this at this/that time. I understand that and even I probably will not. After Christmas though!!

Connie with the Arts Festival has not gotten back with me and frankly, I am not going to wait around for them. I have been told Chad at Cocodries may have some interest but I have yet to speak with him. If that fails, we may very well go with Keywester's very kind solution. I just do not know at this time.

I would like everyone to put their two cents worth into the questions on the polls, as you did!

Return to “Area Special Events”