GUMBO FESTIVAL Update

Navarre Beach Fun Fest, Mardi Gras, Beaches to Rivers, and Navarre Beach Arts Festival. Surrounding area has many special events including the Blue Angels’ air shows in July and November and the Pensacola Power of Photography Show.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:14 am

Hey, good morning everyone. Hope everyone had a very blessed Thanksgiving and are now, as I am, looking forward to a wonderful Christmas, holiday and bowl game season. By the way,

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

Wanted to provide you an update to the Gumbo Festival happenings. I have now heard back from organizers of the Navarre Beach Arts Association. Three of them to be exact. They have expressed interest in this festival. However, if it does come to fruition, it may very well be an "addition" to the existing art's festival, at least for the first year, until feedback is obtained concerning the event. That is ok and in fact, I feel it may be the best solution for the first year. As I told them, if we get some good attendance and positive feedback for attendeee's as well as competitors, then it may be able to stand alone at some point. It also would provide the Art's Association with another "booth/focus" point and also provide some addition funds.

Once I hear back from them on more definitive answers, I will certainly provide you with the latest. If it does happen, I (we) would greatly appreciate the support and spreading of the word, so to speak. I would love to have at least 10 teams competing. What say you?
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:22 pm

This sounds like a good way to get started. So this would be in October, right? Count me in.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:02 pm

Sounds great, P'kid. Keep us updated.

What can we do right now to help out? I would volunteer to participate in the cook-off, but I've never made gumbo ... guess I should start practicing, huh? I looked up a recipe, and there seems to be a lot of work involved in it.

EBB
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
Wide_Glide

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:58 pm

For what it's worth, there is a Gumbo Cook-off in Milton this Saturday.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:06 pm

Wide_Glide - Do you have any more info on the Gumbo Fest in Milton? Like is it Saturday or Sunday, where is it being held, times, etc.?

Thanks for your help. EBB

PS - I think there is going to be one at Sandestin pretty soon, also.
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
Wide_Glide

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:52 am

It is part of Christmas on the River at Riverwalk in Milton. Saturday Dec. 1, 10am - 8pm. From what I heard on Ch 3 the Gumbo Cookoff is 10-5. There is also going to be a Lighted Boat Parade in the evening.
www.srcchamber.com
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:58 pm

EBB,

I am under the impression that the NBAA may be thinking of having the Gumbo cookoff during (1) of their many functions, the Arts Festival being one. The people that are corresponding with me are seemingly leaning toward the late March or April timeframe. I will keep you posted as I find out more.

Thanks for the heads up Wide_Glide. I wish I could be there. Someone please go to it and provide us (me) feedback on how they did it.
keywester

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:23 pm

pkid,
it all sounds great. let us know what we can do to pitch in 8)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:29 pm

We'll do, Keywester! Thanks!
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:19 pm

Hey PK, any new info to report? Been planning several trips to NB and was just wondering if you have additional info. Will probably for sure be there for the party in June. Thanks
Pete
Power User
Power User

Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:48 am

Anything new on a Gumbo Fest?
(I'm using this topic as the title is more obvious than the "sticky" topic of "An Idea to put Navarre Beach on the Map")

FYI - Navarre Fun fest is set for the beach on May 17-18th.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!

Return to “Area Special Events”