Old Pier Picture

This is where you can find the Pier fishing reports, Pier photos of those huge fish, and other information. This is a beautiful place to walk along the Pier and shoot memory photos of the Pier and Navarre Beach. Bring your camera and post your Pier photos here!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:50 pm

Here is a picture of the old pier. I believe this is the first one or maybe the second.

dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:11 am

Holy cow, the entire area is completely barren! Even the mainland is nothing but trees! This must be from the late 60's/very early 70's.
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:30 am

Dolfnfan,

Very early 70's. My dad and I fished this many times in 1972. I distinctly remember even back then saying to myself pulling into the parking lot, how wonderful this was that no one was around. The "T" part was destroyed in a storm and for a long while they kept the extension and folks just fished off of that. I remember them catching some monster sharks at night off that little end of the pier.

This was a time when there literally was nothing in Navarre...no store, no bank, no fast food, nothing. You had to get everything in Pensacola or Fort Walton and I mean everything.

I am in the process of helping my mom sell her house. I am hoping against hope that she has a box of old photos somewhere that will show what it was like down there then. They (mom and dad) were doing back in the late 60's and early to mid 70's with their friends, what I now do with my friends.....we all rent the same property year after year and come down as friends and family. Now my daughter is 18 and I suspect she will do the same thing with her family and friends, God willing.
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:10 am

I hope you do find a box of old photos containing more Navarre pics. That would be a true treasure. My first trip to Navarre Beach was in 1981 as a 13-year-old and I can still remember how desolate it was on the island. That was my favorite thing about it...it felt like we were on a deserted island almost. By that time there were a few little shops/fast food places on the mainland, but we still went to Fort Walton for dinners.
Wish I could've seen it as you saw it in the 70's.
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:19 am

You can imagine my thoughts and feelings, as well as many others, when they started building those ghastly high rises. Hated seeing them then and I hate seeing them now. I hated seeing them destroy Destin. :x

Return to “Navarre Beach Fishing Pier - The Longest Pier In Florida ”