Good article

This is where you can find the Pier fishing reports, Pier photos of those huge fish, and other information. This is a beautiful place to walk along the Pier and shoot memory photos of the Pier and Navarre Beach. Bring your camera and post your Pier photos here!
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:31 pm

There is a great article, "Pier fishing holds fun memories for generations of local anglers" in the November 13th Navarre Press. I do not know how to post the link but maybe one of our forum members has the know how?

PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:55 am

Sure wish someone would post the article, I would like to read it.
Going Nuts

Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:30 am

Pete
Power User
Power User

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:03 am

As a subscriber - here is full article: Need to fylly acknowledge the Navarre Press and Romi White for original - Page B08 of 13 Nov issue:

Pier fishing holds fun memories for generations of local anglers

By Romi White

romiwhite@navarrepress.com

Fishing is a longstanding tradition in coastal com­munities throughout the Florida panhandle, and Navarre Beach is no excep­tion.

Although tourism drops during cooler months, a steady stream of fishermen continue to flock year-round to the beach – which boasts world-record catches and holds many fun memories for generations of local anglers.

The Navarre Beach Fish­ing Pier has been ground zero for local fish since the first facility was con­structed in the late 1960s. Holley native Linda Brox­son Enzor remembers the pier and the people well. “I worked at the restau­rant the whole time it was opened,”Enzor said of the first pier establishment.

Enzor recalls the late Agnes Wells Hansford, who was affectionately called “Aggie”and ran pier oper­ations. Enzor said back then, pier staff looked after many young anglers who would catch rides to the pier – often without bringing any mon­ey.

“When Aggie would be there I would give them money to buy stuff,”Enzor said, noting that other times she would sneak them hushpuppies. Enzor said she’d chip in the money to cover the costs. She said the restaurant would also fry fresh catches for anglers for just $1.

Jamie Morrison grew up fishing on the old pier and now his son, Dalton, carries on the tradition at the new facility.

“It’s a family tradition,” Morrison said, adding that the local fishing communi­ty is like a huge family.

“Tourists may come and go,”he said.“We fisherman have been the backbone, supporting the pier through­out the year for decades.”

That first pier no longer stands. Following damage sustained during Hurricane Ivan in 2004 and Hurricane Dennis in 2005, it was demolished in 2009.

County records show commissioners initially approved a new 1,500-foot pier. However, Ed Waters & Sons Contracting Com­pany suggested extending the structure’s length by 45 feet to make it the longest pier in the Gulf of Mexico, and donated the labor and costs.

The pier re-opened June 5, 2010. According to Santa Rosa County data, the pier has 150 2-foot square con­crete piles and stands 30 feet above the water.The pier also features more than 800 break­away wood panels designed to detach during heavy wave action, increasing structural integrity and potentially reducing repair costs.

The county used input from local fishermen in the design of the new pier’s octagonal end which, at roughly 3,800 square feet, reduces interference with fishing.

“You’ll find us out there almost every day,” Mor­rison said.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Beach Spider

Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:55 am

Last edited by Beach Spider on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[center]~ 'SYNERGISTIC SPHERE' ~[/center]
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:51 pm

That's it! Thanks Pete! (Can you also post the pics that go along with the article?)

lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:52 pm

Beautiful picture Beach Spider!

Pete
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:06 am

lvthebch wrote:That's it! Thanks Pete! (Can you also post the pics that go along with the article?)
'Fraid not - the Navarre Press has set it up so that so can't copy the pictures from the e-editions of their paper? (or at least I, don't know how to?)
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:29 am

Make a Print Screen from your computer. Then crop it so that only the photo area shows. You might want to enlarge your desktop screen before you perform the Print Screen.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:17 am

And I consider myself quite fortunate to say I am one of the few people on planet earth that got to fish the very first pier. I got to see Navarre Beach when virtually nothing existed in Navarre and Navarre Beach.

Thanks for the links Going Nuts and Pete.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:51 pm

In fact, come to think of it, I have fished every pier Navarre has ever had.
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:56 pm

Pete wrote:
lvthebch wrote:That's it! Thanks Pete! (Can you also post the pics that go along with the article?)
'Fraid not - the Navarre Press has set it up so that so can't copy the pictures from the e-editions of their paper? (or at least I, don't know how to?)
That's okay....thanks again for posting the article! :D

Beach Spider

Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:43 am

[center]~ Talking About Fishing Piers ~[/center]
Last edited by Beach Spider on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:19 pm

Hey, Spidey, enjoyed the video of our former "hometown" ~ kept hoping it would go farther south and show our former biz site in the Shores!! Lotsa memories! Nice video!

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Beach Spider

Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:49 am

Last edited by Beach Spider on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Navarre Beach Fishing Pier - The Longest Pier In Florida ”