Benches along the Pier

This is where you can find the Pier fishing reports, Pier photos of those huge fish, and other information. This is a beautiful place to walk along the Pier and shoot memory photos of the Pier and Navarre Beach. Bring your camera and post your Pier photos here!
CrazyB

Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:26 pm

I wonder who I would speak a concern/suggestion to about the benches along the pier?! It seems that some people can be very inconsiderate, and have moved all the benches down near the far end of the pier. This makes it very hard for the elderly and those with cane's to be able to make that beautiful stroll to the end. Looks like there would be a way to secure them in place so that ALL could enjoy?
Kimberly Navarre
Jeremiah 29:11 ~~~For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.~~~
rexy

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:45 pm

Then where would those young people put their fishing tackle and checking the sharpness of their knives.
GONEFISHING

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:43 pm

CrazyB wrote:I wonder who I would speak a concern/suggestion to about the benches along the pier?! It seems that some people can be very inconsiderate, and have moved all the benches down near the far end of the pier. This makes it very hard for the elderly and those with cane's to be able to make that beautiful stroll to the end. Looks like there would be a way to secure them in place so that ALL could enjoy?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:10 am

Rude, selfish people...on the Navarre Pier......are you quite sure? :evil:

Same people that throw their damn cigarette butts, baggies, etc., over the pier. Leave hooks, beer cans and fishing line lying around. I would first start with the management and go that route. Perhaps signage or have the office number in one's phone and if you see if happening, make a call and they can come out with the golf cart. If that fails and it shouldn't, confront the people.

Actually the management should screw them down. Place them periodically along the pier and adhere them to the pier. Case solved!
rexy

Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:10 pm

Walked out the pier this morning never saw such a mess, dead bait fish, plastic baggies, beer/drink cans, even a beer bottle on a bench, bits of tackle, strands of line, hooks and swivels caught in the slats, two little girls digging them out and leaving the mess, hundreds of cigarette butts, one young man leaning over the rail fishing with his drawers 6 inches below his belt showing his not so clean underwear, a comment was made, it was not like this when Dorothy ran it, go back to school kids. The benches are meant to be bolted down, one day, and not meant to lined up in three for sleeping, oh, and the golf cart does not run.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:35 pm

Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:52 pm

I will toot my own horn here and I am sure there are many that can do the same when they are there but I will on my way out to the end of the pier to fish and on my way back in or to grab some bait or drinks, stop and pick up every piece of anything I can find that should not be on the pier. I bet I have picked up just in the last two trips (May & June) a large Hefty grass bag full of crap left on the pier.

Tell you something else I am getting very angry with and that is these fisherman who purposely hook up with a Tarpon that is too big for them to get back to the pier and guess what that Tarpon does in a matter of minutes? It take a full spool of line 300+ yards and breaks the line. So, perhaps in days the hook rusts out of the fishes mouth but that 300 yards of line remains in the water only to get wrapped in a boat motor, a turtles fin, a dolphin's tale...who knows. All so they can get the rush and have people look at their idiot self. Saw it twice during my last stays. If they don't hook up purposely and by accident hook one, if you can't bring the fish in, cut the damn line before 300 yards are left in the ocean.
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:20 pm

I finally just quit going out on the pier altogether. It's a shame too, because I loved the pier -- the view is beautiful and you never know what you're going to see out there in the water. But it's like walking in a 3rd world country now. The majority of the people on the pier at any given moment are ignorant, clueless, filthy, disgusting and have no respect for anything. How can you unhook a fish and toss it on the deck and let it flop around until it finally, slowly dies? I've heard grown men scream at the top of their lungs that they're going to "shoot those mother&%^# dolphins for taking my bait!" How do you leave you food, beer cans, line, lures, bait, waste, etc all over the place and just walk away?

For whatever reason, the pier is a magnet for low-life, backwater, scum-of-the-earth people. I feel sorry for the handful of good, respectful people that have to endure this throng of ignorance to try to enjoy some fishing. God bless 'em! I for damn sure couldn't do it!

The bar/restaurant is ok. It's pretty nice. But out on the pier...it's a whole different world. The 3rd world.
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:07 am

Hate to say it Dolfnfan but I am going to have to agree with you. My take is pretty much the same. YES, there are "some" good and decent people out there at any given time. However, I have very definitely seen a deterioration in many areas. I have always stated that there is a percentage of what I have called "pier trash" ...people....out there. I too have heard the "kill the dolphin" many many times. I am sick of the people leaving their crap all over the place and not picking it up. I am sick of seeing cigarette butts just tossed overboard. I am sick of the cussing (f'er, mf'er, gd every other word). I am sick of seeing the influx of Vietnamese AND NOT speaking English. Sick of hearing it. I am sick of having to do the Pier's job when I am there. I am sick of the people who sling their baits without so much as a glimpse behind them. I am sick of having to confront the local pier trash about catching and slinging/kicking Remora's on the deck, only to see them dying and for absolutely no reason, other than they are aholes. That is why I put them right back in the water. These are for the most part "locals" doing this. Call me what you will but it is the truth. Before you do, I have already and have always stated there are good locals out there as well but ever heard the phrase..."one bad apple?" Well, the pier has many, many, many bad apples.

I realize there have been some posts/threads of late that sound like "bitching" and I take full responsibility for bringing them up. I do so partly to initiate discussion and spark other posts. Some of the things I (we) bitch about can't be fixed (June Grass for instance) but some can yet nothing is seemingly done about them. This pier situation is one of them. There is absolutely no reason why the top dog of the Pier Management team cannot, on a regular basis, get in the four wheeler and make trips out there to monitor the situation. Walk out there unexpectedly. Also, I feel the Game Warden needs to start making more frequent walks on the pier and preferably in plain clothes.
rexy

Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:46 pm

Pier was cleaned up nicely this morning with help from mother nature, still need a few benches bolted down about half way, the grass is going away and the water looks great, you can still cuddle up with perfect strangers and listen to their choice of music under the umbrellas.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:11 pm

I can tell you from personal experience that the pier and specifically the last last 3/4 of the pier and most certainly the Octagon DESPERATELY needs a power washing! 3K psi. My guess is, it has not been done since it was built. Concrete is a very soft and a very absorbent substrate. So, there are probably stains in the concrete that will never be fully removed but a good power washing would make it a 1000 times better looking. Close the end this coming fall for one day and mark it in a grid pattern and it could be done in one day. The end, that is!!!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:12 pm

Btw....I volunteer to do the job. I will even pay for the power washer rental.
wregle
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:40 pm

Never had these problems when it was run by the State. I have seen the Rangers even tell people to stop cursing because it was a family pier. No alcohol was allowed and they were constantly walking the pier. We never had a 2nd thought about letting our young teen son fish there all day by himself. Now I hesitate to take a young person out there.
You can shake the sand from your shoes but it never leaves your soul
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:53 am

Wregle.....you had better watch it, you are going to get yelled at!!! :o

Does the Pier still do some noteworthy things...I am sure it does. Are there some good folks out there that fish, I know there are cause I know them and when I am out there, I know I am a good and decent person.

However, something has definitely changed and perhaps you hit the nail on the head. I know for an absolute fact that there are a couple of handfuls of locals (mainly younger) that make the end of the pier many times, a horrible experience. If you confront them they want to get confrontational. If you tell the guy behind the cash register, well, he/she could care less and one of the guys is a guy that fishes out there all the time. He seems nice enough just doesn't really want to enforce rules, I guess. Trust me, I have and it went nowhere. And, they think that pier is their's. That is the attitude one gets when one is out there many many times.

I can not remember the last time that I saw a Game Warden walking out there.

So, what is the answer? Not sure. I know all the arguments for why plain clothes officers are not out there. I don't buy it!! If during the summer tourists season, these Game Wardens, County officials, etc., walked the pier, gave warnings, kicked some of those asses off periodically and gave out some tickets, you know what, word would spread and the negative issues might start to fade a bit. It is a family pier and it should be monitored and enforced as such.

WAR EAGLE!!!
wregle
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:04 am

Pensacolakid - I know some people didn't like it when it was state run but it seemed there were many less problems. It was cleaner and a lot more family friendly. When it first reopened and we went there we were so surprised to see all the alcohol! Now I am the first one to enjoy a cold one but it just seems drinking and poor judgement sometimes go hand and hand. Throw in a little "friendly" competition and things get rough.
Now I am going to get yelled at about my pier comments or War Eagle?!? ;-)
You can shake the sand from your shoes but it never leaves your soul

Return to “Navarre Beach Fishing Pier - The Longest Pier In Florida ”