Navarre Pier in the news again

This is where you can find the Pier fishing reports, Pier photos of those huge fish, and other information. This is a beautiful place to walk along the Pier and shoot memory photos of the Pier and Navarre Beach. Bring your camera and post your Pier photos here!
Kayak Dave
Power User
Power User

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:32 am

Dorothy getting harassed again.

Navarre pier grievances get personalDUSTY RICKETTS / Daily News
2012-02-20 16:46:16

MILTON — Santa Rosa County Commissioner Jim Williamson said he did not want any personal attacks made during a discussion of potential noise violations at the Na-varre Beach fishing pier.

And for about the first half-hour of the discussion, he got his wish.

Commissioner Don Salter said no county operation has garnered as much review as the fishing pier during his 12 years on the board.

“I think this whole thing has turned into a personal fight,” Salter said. “I think there are people badgering (pier manager) Dorothy Slye and her company, and they will not be happy until Dorothy loses that lease, and that possibly includes some elected people in this county as well.

“We need to quit dragging Dorothy down here every two weeks making her justify what she’s doing on the beach,” Salter added. “She needs to follow the process. Let’s give Dorothy and her company some leeway to explore and grow her business as it generates additional revenue for Santa Rosa County.”

View a slideshow of whoppers caught from the Navarre Beach Pier. »

Commissioner Jim Melvin, who has been critical of the pier in the past, said he was concerned about its financial management. He pointed out that Slye had sent a check to the county without signing it and an audit of the pier’s financial statements showed some accounting errors.

Slye said Melvin is holding a grudge for some reason. She admitted the first audit showed a $2,000 discrepancy in their first seven months of operation, but she pointed out the pier had collected $200,000 during that time frame and they were given very little direction from the county.

“I’m tired of having you act like we are stealing from the county,” Slye said to Melvin. “We have already had one person tell us you are contacting people in the county telling them I am stealing from the county. You need to stop that. It is not true. The audit proves that.”

Melvin did not accuse Slye of stealing during Monday’s meeting.

“My only complaint about the operation of the pier has been the policy of seeking forgiveness rather than permission,” Melvin said.

Monday’s discussion on the pier’s lease started because of noise complaints filed by residents of The Inn at Summerwind. It was the second time in six months that Sum-merwind representatives have filed a complaint against the pier for playing loud music late at night.

“Your tenant is violating your lease and by doing so has created a documented public nuisance against a collective Summerwind project that originally built the Navarre pier,” said Brad Palmer, community association manager for Summerwind.

“Ignoring our concerns by not enforcing your lease will be allowing a habitually of-fending tenant to egregiously misuse a valuable county asset to inflict damage upon its neighbor by blasting amplified offensive music at a peaceful, family-oriented commu-nity.”

Slye, however, pointed out the pier has not had nighttime live music performances since Halloween. Since that time, Slye said she and her staff have added and continue to add sound-dampening equipment to reduce the noise heard at Summerwind.

On Thursday, commissioners will further discuss their lease with Slye to manage the Navarre fishing pier.
KayakDave
850-313-9158
Navarre Beach Kayaks
Kayak Eco Tours
http://www.NavarreBeachKayaks.com
Info@NavarreBeachKayaks.com
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Do I take this to mean the Commissioners are wanting mo' money and for it to go to their regions or perks? If so....sounds familiar! If this is the case, it is going to be up to the citizens of Navarre and Navarre Beach to confront these people and put them in their place.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:06 am

Can anyone tell us how or if this situation was resolved? I guess there's no way to escape "politics" --- it's EVERYWHERE!!!!! :cry:

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:39 pm

I don't have a clue!
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:34 pm

It ain't the great $8.4 milllion dollar family friendly fishing pier contained in the original contract that is the problem. It is the ancilliary operation of a rowdy P-Beach Sandshaker type bar, grill and noisy bandstand on the government owned " FISHING PIER".
I have a tongue in cheek solution. Let the SRC BOCC take over or buy the closed Beach Monkey private enterprise leasehold contract and give it to pier leaseholder under the same provisions as the Pier Bar, Grill and Bandstand. Who needs private enterprise on NB when government ownership, GOB management and harmony is so much better! :oops:
David
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:00 am

Has to be taken into consideration that one of the Summerwind complaintants in involved in the same ongoing cat fight as the local paper, they ride the same horse.

To answer your question AG. The noise thing had already been resolved by Ms Sly before the meeting though some just had to hear thier tounges rattle. Besides that, Navarre Beach has no noise ordinance. Strange that the same people never complained of another business that for years has had music so loud it can be heard half way down the beach and on the north side of the sound.

As to other things, seems Melvin has slowed the beating of a dead horse. That meeting pretty well put him down, others showed they had tired of his continual attempt at micro management. He now has other fish to fry since he will soon not be our commissioner and will have to run in a different district, the one he lives in. He always said he did not care if he angered the Navarre residents, "Ill get my votes from the North part of the County". Redistricting put a stop to that rhetoric.
David

Return to “Navarre Beach Fishing Pier - The Longest Pier In Florida ”