Dorothy Slye arrested

This is where you can find the Pier fishing reports, Pier photos of those huge fish, and other information. This is a beautiful place to walk along the Pier and shoot memory photos of the Pier and Navarre Beach. Bring your camera and post your Pier photos here!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon May 07, 2012 9:39 am

It appears by the Navarre Press that, Dorothy Slye the Manager of the County owned Pier and the proprietor of the Pier Bar & Grill has been arrested on Domestic Violence charges?

Wow...wonder what that is all about? Not a good mug shot :o
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Mon May 07, 2012 10:50 am

Did you read the article, P'Kid? That's what it's all about. It appears that Navarre Press has some kind of vendetta going with Mrs. Slye. There's a lot more to the story than what was printed. I don't think I've ever seen a complimentary mug shot of anyone. It's pretty much what they looked like at the time.

It was a very unfortunate incident .... and when the whole story surfaces, there are a lot of people who would say that they would have done the same thing. Sometimes people are pushed to their absolute limit. 'Nuf said.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon May 07, 2012 11:01 am

I only read what was available in a very small article. Do not know what the story is, nor do I know about any issues the Navarre Press has with her. I take it, it was a spousal issue? As for mug shots....although they are usually not the best pictures and more times than not, the person arrested is either drunk or on drugs, I have seen one or two here and there where they looked decent. According to the article, she is looking at a velony. Is Dorothy Slye considered to be a good person? I have only had dealings with her from a distance and this was many moons ago.
David
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:42 pm

How did I miss this???

As EBB said, lot more to this than the local mullet wrapper says. The owner/ editor wants it to look negative and, intending to or not, you add to her game.

BTW, charges did not remain as stated.

P'cola, if you take the paper, certainly you have seen all the negative front page editorials. As I said elsewhere, the paper's owner has been picking a bone with Dorothy for long before the new pier and she has no qualms about warping truth to fit her agenda. She puts Dorothy under an undeserved microscope. Feels she is covered by editorial privalege, I suppose.

I don't think you or I would look so great in a mug shot taken late at night and embarresed by the situation. would we? Does not take booze or drugs as you imply. Why even publish a mug shot when ones for much, much, worse are not. Just like politics, pick the worst shot of your apposition.

Yes she is a good, hard working, person and hope you were not meaning to imply other wise. She does a pretty damed good job of balancing her businesses and a sizable family, therefore she becomes a target for those envious of her, handles that well also. We all should do as well.
David
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:49 pm

David of course I was not implying otherwise. Don't even know the woman. Simply asking questions of the people based on what I read and have heard. Nothing more.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:22 am

David, I did not imply Ms. Slye was on drugs or alcohol. I said and go back and re-read my statement, I said....."more times than not" a person who had a mug shot has been arrested and is either on drugs or is intoxicated. Maybe she did, maybe she didn't, I was not there but that aside, far more times than not, people are not arrested, handcuffed and have a mug shot without something in their bloodstream, which is why most are in that position to begin with.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:46 pm

P'Kid - In case you missed it, all charges against Dorothy were dropped, but the local press certainly did not splash that all over the front page like they did when she was arrested. I think Dorothy is owed an apology from, as David calls it "the mullett wrapper".
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:16 pm

Oh....I know the charges were dropped, EBB. This may sound very strange but I know more about what is going on in Navarre and Pensacola being 562 miles away than most do that actually live there. It is amazing what one can do with a passion!!!
David
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Knowing so much , why was this even brought up and made even more negative????....

Quote:
"more times than not" a person who had a mug shot has been arrested and is either on drugs or is intoxicated. Maybe she did, maybe she didn't, I was not there but that aside, far more times than not, people are not arrested, handcuffed and have a mug shot without something in their bloodstream, which is why most are in that position to begin with."
David
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:22 pm

IMO Navarre Press has done a lot for Navarre for a small local weekly newspaper and is a good thing for the local area news coverage. I see no need to condemn NP for arrest reports and other public information that was reported at the time of this arrest. I also see no need for NP to elaborate on the character of folks that have charges dropped by the reported individual that first reported the initial incident.
It seems that the Ft Walton Newspaper and the Pensacola Journal are reporting a lot of the same public information without being labeled as having a vendetta against the Pier Manager or called smut sensational type journalism dead fish wrapper.
It looks like it is a shoot the messenger situation to me. Sometimes folks in the public business administration are held to a higher standard than the rest of us non mugshot and non arrested folks.
David
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:16 am

I do agree that NP could be a great asset to Navarre and in many ways has been but I emphatically disagree, as do many others, local and visitors, on how it handles some things. Lots of us quit buying it for those reasons

NP, many times, uses it front pages as editorial pages expressing opinion rather than pure fact and later hides contradiction deep in the paper. Ms Slye is not the only person to fall victim to this. There was a vendetta toward Ms Slye long before she managed the pier or became involved in a domestic situation that simply went astray. A like situation involving others (friends of the paper) would have been ignored totally.
Sometimes folks in the public business administration are held to a higher standard than the rest of us non mugshot and non arrested folks..
Using that same standard (as quoted), should not the fact of charges being dropped demand the same front page attention for those folks. Especially since, prior the incident, they were one of "us non mugshot and non arrested folks" to which you refer.

Many domestic (husband/wife) squabbles are just a hairline away from arrest, all in the enterpretation of the responding officer or one of the two involved.

I find our other local papers, though they may report many of the same incidents, to be much more fair, factual, and balanced in their reporting and confine editorials to the pages labeled as such.

Some people like small town papers (mullet wrappers) to act like back fence gossipers. Personally, I think they should always strive for a higher level of profesionalism.
David
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:41 am

"Knowing so much , why was this even brought up and made even more negative????.... "

BECAUSE IT IS NEWS DAVID AND THAT IS WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT....NEWS/POLITICS. There is also a disclaimer that it can get heated and if the heat is too hot.......

I did not judge or condemn Ms Slye. I asked questions based on a report in the Navarre Press and I made assertions about mug shots that are again, accurate and valid.
David
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:12 am

P'cola,
BECAUSE IT IS NEWS DAVID AND THAT IS WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT....NEWS/POLITICS. There is also a disclaimer that it can get heated and if the heat is too hot.......

I beg your pardon, this thread is under the topic of Navarre Pier and not "NEWS/POLITICS" as you say

Your reference, intended or not, WAS to Ms Slye's mug shot and you still claim looks like drunk or drugged. Like to see what you might look like in a mug shot, get one done for a permit and we can all critique it.

Geez, such a short fuse!! Be glad when this election is over with.
Last edited by David on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:21 am

Regardless, I did not arrest her, I did not take her mug shot and I did not report the incident. I simply replied. Why don't you pick on someone else for a while, David. Get off my back.
David
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:28 am

I will when you get off others.

Like it or not, my friend, you are not always right,
David

Return to “Navarre Beach Fishing Pier - The Longest Pier In Florida ”