Florida Open Carry Panhandle

This is where you can find the Pier fishing reports, Pier photos of those huge fish, and other information. This is a beautiful place to walk along the Pier and shoot memory photos of the Pier and Navarre Beach. Bring your camera and post your Pier photos here!
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:49 am

Does anyone know if the FL open carry folks are still demonstrating on Navarre Fishing Pier like they did in early July 2012?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:08 am

Navarrebeacher,

What does that mean....open carry? Are you speaking of alcohol? Guns?
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:02 am

PK- I should have ask if the group called Florida Open Carry Panhandle was still carrying side arm weapons in a monthly demonstration like they did in early July 2012. This group was carrying their weapons in FL based on the FL law which lets you carry weapons openly on camping, hunting and fishing expeditions.
My concerns fits you question exactly. Does this Florida law also included open carry of weapons and alcohol on a public fishing pier? IMHO Not a good mix.
David
Power User
Power User

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 pm

Don't believe this was meant to be a monthly demonstration. This was a local part of a state wide group pushing to legalize open carry in Florida. I have not seen them, as a group, doing the same since the one time.

They got a lot of negative reaction from those of us that believe that open carry on a wilderness fishing trip may be welcome when there is possibility of facing an angry wild boar, gator, or bear BUT open carry, as apposed to concealed, was a stupid idea on a busy fishing pier. The dufas in charge got a bit upset over any opposition to his ideas on open carry.

Personally, for many reasons, I do not support open carry when in any public area, but I certainly do support concealed carry and support being able to carry openly when fishing areas habitated by boar and bear. I believe that Florida, when this vote is over, should exempt public piers as a allowable place to open carry.

FYI, when the approach was made by this group, pier management asked the County if they could forbid open carry on the pier and were advised by the Commissioners and thier attorney that they could not as long as state law allowed while fishing. I should add that, when the State Parks ran the pier as part of the park, open carry was not allowed as it is not allowed in any state park.
David
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:32 pm

I am not a fan of open carry either, really under any circumstances other than of course, law enforcement. I am indeed a fan of concealed carry and of being highly trained and that includes continuing education. Not only protecting oneself from bears, boars, cougars but from people as well. I trust the animals far more than I do people.
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:46 am

Ronals Reagan gun control.jpg
Ronals Reagan gun control.jpg (18.92 KiB) Viewed 4542 times
As old Marine I must be out of the mainstream on the present need to carry weapons everywhere. :roll:
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Wed May 07, 2014 4:37 pm

It was reported on another SRC forum and on the Open Carry Florida web site that an Open Carry Panhandle advocate group is scheduled to carry their loaded weapons on the Navarre Beach Fishing Pier on May 10, 2014 at 10 AM. That is if SRC allows that irresponsible misguided open carry group to assemble on a Public Owned Pier that serves alcohol in a Public Park.

Perhaps this loony group lives in fear of being attacked by those wild boars, alligators or bear that may possibly roam the pier on family friendly fishing outings at the Gulf's longest and best Fishing Pier.

I also wish for the return of the good old days when the Pier was a real Fishing Pier. 8)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat May 10, 2014 10:13 am

Navarrebeacher,

Times have indeed changed and in my opinion, by far....not for the better. Everything seems scrambled, mixed up, upside down now. I fear the good ol days are long gone.
Trader

Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Navarrebeacher wrote:It was reported on another SRC forum and on the Open Carry Florida web site that an Open Carry Panhandle advocate group is scheduled to carry their loaded weapons on the Navarre Beach Fishing Pier on May 10, 2014 at 10 AM. That is if SRC allows that irresponsible misguided open carry group to assemble on a Public Owned Pier that serves alcohol in a Public Park.

Perhaps this loony group lives in fear of being attacked by those wild boars, alligators or bear that may possibly roam the pier on family friendly fishing outings at the Gulf's longest and best Fishing Pier.

I also wish for the return of the good old days when the Pier was a real Fishing Pier. 8)
I don't believe that believing in our 'Right to Keep and Bear Arms' or being permitted and licensed to 'Openly Carry a Firearm' qualifies me or anyone else as being loony. I believe that there are more loony people driving a car, semi truck and trailer or driving a bus than are permitted to 'Openly Carry a Firearm'.

Most of the people that openly object to these rights and permits are uncomfortable around any firearm in any place.

Return to “Navarre Beach Fishing Pier - The Longest Pier In Florida ”