Winning proposal to manage the Navarre Beach Pier

This is where you can find the Pier fishing reports, Pier photos of those huge fish, and other information. This is a beautiful place to walk along the Pier and shoot memory photos of the Pier and Navarre Beach. Bring your camera and post your Pier photos here!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:36 pm

You thought 2+2=4 didn’t you?

That’s not the mathematical formula used by Santa Rosa County Commissioners

The 5 Santa Rosa County Commissioners Voted 3 to 2 in favor of Pier, Inc. winning the bid. But, Pier, Inc. did not win the bid. Are you still with me? The Commissioners have a crazy weighted voting system. The #1 choice gets 1 point and the last choice gets 5 points. The option with the least amount of points at the end is the winner. This is a great formula for Milton the County seat and the rest of north Santa Rosa County. This way more tax dollars that should stay in the Navarre Beach Greater Area go to Milton and stay in Milton.

Here's why it was a scam vote! The voting system used, as outlined above, was intentionally unbalanced by the two commissioners who didn't want Pier, Inc. to win. They purposely voted Pier, Inc. in fourth and fifth place which gave them nine points between their two votes. That was too big of a deficit for Pier, Inc. to overcome and they got second place. BTW...I believe the other three commissioners voted Pier Inc. in first place. This is one of the fallacies of using this type of voting system because a few voting members can form an alliance to sway the vote as in this case.

The vote should have been with weighted criteria, which places a fairer value on what the county wants and what the bidder can provide. That's a more realistic way to make sure things are fair. I still believe that we live in Paradise. However, some folks might think we live in the Redneck Rivera and that's what you get...one more reason to incorporate Navarre and Navarre Beach and control our own destiny!

More disturbing news…the owners of the winning bid all live in Milton about 40 minutes north of Navarre. If I were Pier, Inc. I would sue Santa Rosa County back to the stone-age for a corrupt and unfair bidding process. The good ole boys in Milton are alive and well.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:14 am

Kenny Wilder wrote:The good ole boys in Milton are alive and well.
By kind of ironic if the legacy of all this was that the push to have Navarre incorporate got a big boost towards reality? Even if it did mean some kind of increase to expenditure (not entirely sure it would, but if it did), at least it would be for LOCAL things and services....
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:47 am

This may be a stupid question but this means that the present managers of the Pier will no longer be managing the pier? If that is the case, when does the new management take over?
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:28 am

"Walker said he would like to bring a completed contract back to the board for approval in September. The current contract with Pier, Inc. expires Dec. 31."

bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:30 pm

My memory is bad today, as the Cowboys are actually looking like they might win tonight (we are in a state of shock), so I don't recall the source of this rumor - Navarre Press or the PNJ? - I see some gossip about the three commissioners who voted against the winning bid are rather embarrassed by all the fuss.

Did someone suggest it was a "fix" and tell them that this was damaging their re-election chances? If so, long overdue!

:x
Kayak Dave
Power User
Power User

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:16 am

I too was disappointed in the outcome of this "bidding" process. I am biased but I thought Pier Inc. was the best choice for the contract. They have done some amazing things in 3 short years. And I won't go into all the many things they have done for the local community. All those things seem to be hidden by the same old few stories.

But this process is not done yet. Pasco and Wells still have to work out a lease. And to do the major construction required to enlarge or build a new kitchen and all the other modifications needed to run a seafood restaurant, they would need a long term lease to recover those costs. How long of a lease can you give an unproven Pier management Co.? Do they have any concrete plans for what they want to do w/county property, before a contract is awarded?

And there is the problem of changing their bid after it was submitted. How can that be allowed?

I personally think the contract should be reconsidered or have a straight up or down vote between the the top two bidders. This still has to be voted on at a regular comm. meeting.

If you think this whole bid process was bogus, maybe you might consider e-mailing the county commisioners and give them your opinion.
You can them as a whole at bocc@santarosa.fl.gov
Or individually at comm-xxxxx@santarosa.fl.gov (insert last name of commissioner, in place of xxxxx as in comm-melvin@santarosa.fl.gov or Cole, Williamson, Salter or Lynchard).

If you don't live in Santa Rosa Co., but love Navarre Beach, you can still let your opinion be read by the commissioners. All e-mails are part of the public record.
KayakDave
850-313-9158
Navarre Beach Kayaks
Kayak Eco Tours
http://www.NavarreBeachKayaks.com
Info@NavarreBeachKayaks.com
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:39 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:This may be a stupid question but this means that the present managers of the Pier will no longer be managing the pier? If that is the case, when does the new management take over?
If the contract gets changed, it will most likely happen 1/1/14 and the present people who run the pier will no longer be involved.

My take is this:

1. I dislike the atmosphere in the pier bar many weekends as it is often no better than a greasy biker joint, entirely out of place with the rest of the area and also often unhelpful in making Navarre Beach the kind of place where the majority of our visitors want to be, but this doesn't matter.

2. I really do wish that smoking was not allowed in there, I find it unbearable to be in the bar much of the time, but this doesn't matter.

3. I am unclear about how much better or worse any new management might be for the fishermen out there, except to say that they might or might not be more reactive to adverse weather conditions, might or might not enforce "good fishermen" behavior and so on, but this doesn't matter.

What maters here is what is best for Navarre and not any of our personal views of "like" or "dislike". I think you'll find this is 50% of most people's gripes.

What is important to those of us expressing a view here is the way the decision about who gets to run it was made. That 3 out of 5 commissioners voted for a different result and were effectively ignored by two commissioners (one of whom is the delightful Mister Melvin), sounds like politics at it's best. If the pier stayed with the current management and nothing changed and I still didn't like it any better BUT the voting process we all know and consider democracy (one man, one vote), I'd be OK with the result. I think you'll find this is the other 50% of most people's gripes.

There ... I have said all I am going to about this. Several of the politicians involved and the process they engaged in to get to the place where they are now, stinks. No surprise...
Sandstomper

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Kayak Dave, thanks for posting the email address so that we can voice our displeasure with this injustice.

After reading Kenny's 2+2=4 (NOT IN THIS CASE) description of the "kanagroo voting process" I am even more outraged. I for one am sick and tired of watching government railroad good, decent and hard working folks who have built a business only to see it taken away in one form or another.

Brian, I agree that the place is not perfect, but your conclusions are dead on. Don't let this be your last say so on the subject. Join us in an email campaign to let our voices resonate!
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:22 am

All politics is local and that is the problem the SRC folks have to deal with. The new and old Fishing Pier is and has been great for many years but the auxiliary function of another government owned and SRC BOCC micro managed bar, grill and bandstand is a problem. The bar, grill and bandstand was not a part of the original 3 year contract on the new fishing pier and some on the SRC BOCC got greedy and agreed to the bar, grill and bandstand addition to the Pier Platform.
Did citizens of SRC really need another government owned bar,grill and band stand in SRC?
I like a good cheap beer. However, I seem to resent it if it is on my taxpayer dollar and poses a problem to private enterprise like Palms LLC (Now Ricco's) and others like Summerwind's Owners that have significant private investment in the area. There are plenty of profitable party hardy noisy bars in SRC and EC without government subsidies or a million dollar government provided facility near a residential private investment.

Good luck to the new NB Fishing Pier Operator. I hope the Fish House type restaurant is a success and this time I hope the BOCC and SRC staff get the Fishing Pier contract right.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:13 am

Kenny Wilder wrote:You thought 2+2=4 didn’t you?

That’s not the mathematical formula used by Santa Rosa County Commissioners

The 5 Santa Rosa County Commissioners Voted 3 to 2 in favor of Pier, Inc. winning the bid. But, Pier, Inc. did not win the bid. Are you still with me? The Commissioners have a crazy weighted voting system. The #1 choice gets 1 point and the last choice gets 5 points. The option with the least amount of points at the end is the winner. This is a great formula for Milton the County seat and the rest of north Santa Rosa County. This way more tax dollars that should stay in the Navarre Beach Greater Area go to Milton and stay in Milton.

Here's why it was a scam vote! The voting system used, as outlined above, was intentionally unbalanced by the two commissioners who didn't want Pier, Inc. to win. They purposely voted Pier, Inc. in fourth and fifth place which gave them nine points between their two votes. That was too big of a deficit for Pier, Inc. to overcome and they got second place. BTW...I believe the other three commissioners voted Pier Inc. in first place. This is one of the fallacies of using this type of voting system because a few voting members can form an alliance to sway the vote as in this case.

The vote should have been with weighted criteria, which places a fairer value on what the county wants and what the bidder can provide. That's a more realistic way to make sure things are fair. I still believe that we live in Paradise. However, some folks might think we live in the Redneck Rivera and that's what you get...one more reason to incorporate Navarre and Navarre Beach and control our own destiny!

More disturbing news…the owners of the winning bid all live in Milton about 40 minutes north of Navarre. If I were Pier, Inc. I would sue Santa Rosa County back to the stone-age for a corrupt and unfair bidding process. The good ole boys in Milton are alive and well.
So if the Commissioners recount for the Pier because they didnt like the bidding process (even though nobody spoke out against it BEFORE the fact)- then I demand a recount for the 2012 Presidential Election. Same logic, same principle.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:41 am

Well now...

There are now reports that the vote was a straw poll and that the "real" vote has not been taken.

I'm not entirely sure I go along with that, if the previous reports about WHY the original vote are true.

Do I detect that the anger and views so far expressed about all this have resulted in certain individuals wanting to retreat from an untenable position or is there a degree of "Oops. I just got found out, how do we get out of the sh!t now?"

Shocked? Oh no ... just trying to keep those eyes open. :shock:
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:36 am

Illustrates what shedding a little public light on a situation can do, doesn't it? Folks entrusted with our votes need to remember they hold a "sacred trust" and responsibility.

:wink:
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Sandstomper

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:02 pm

http://www.santarosa.fl.gov/minutes/

Navarre must be very special to the Commissioners. You would think with all of the tax dollars sent North, they would at least spell Navarre correctly on their website.
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Sandstomper wrote:http://www.santarosa.fl.gov/minutes/

Navarre must be very special to the Commissioners. You would think with all of the tax dollars sent North, they would at least spell Navarre correctly on their website.
I'm surprised they don't just say "Down There" or "The South" - like the words "Navarre" and "Beach" hurt whenever they say them...
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:14 pm

$200,000.00 from Navarre Beach Bed Taxes Contributed to an Equestrian Center in Milton

Back in the winter the Santa Rosa County Tourist Development Council approved a $200,000.00 contribution from Navarre Beach bed taxes to help build the somewhat controversial equestrian center in Milton, FL. I thought you folks might want to know where most of your Navarre Beach taxes and bed taxes for condos and beach houses goes…Surprise – Surprise – Surprise…its Milton, the county seat for Santa Rosa County. Those folks up in Milton are the greatest.

Aren’t you folks deliriously happy that most of your tax dollars do not stay in Navarre Beach and the Navarre mainland, but instead goes to Milton to build an equestrian center. Those tax dollars could have been directed to the re-nourishment of the eroded sand at Navarre Beach, or to enhance the Fishing Pier. We folks that live in the Navarre Beach Greater Area (Southern part of the County) are extremely lucky to have the Santa Rosa County Commissioners looking out for us.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?

Return to “Navarre Beach Fishing Pier - The Longest Pier In Florida ”