Winning proposal to manage the Navarre Beach Pier

This is where you can find the Pier fishing reports, Pier photos of those huge fish, and other information. This is a beautiful place to walk along the Pier and shoot memory photos of the Pier and Navarre Beach. Bring your camera and post your Pier photos here!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:23 pm

There is an old English phrase we use to describe this kind of thing: "Horse Hockey".

Just think "Cow Cakes" and you get the idea.

:evil:
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
Sandstomper

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:02 pm

Kinda sums it all up Brian. I've registered my displeasure with the SRBOCC. I'm heading down on Wed. and will spend as much money as I can with Dorothy & Co. aka, Pier, Inc.

I hope Kayak Dave is right, in that this is not over. Such an injustice.
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:48 pm

You NBL Forum readers that sent emails and letters to the Santa Rosa County Commissioners may have helped according to an article today in the NWF Daily News. Read the article below.

Navarre pier management selection comes under fire

By DUSTY RICKETTS / Daily News

MILTON — The Santa Rosa County Commission will take a second look at its decision on who should manage the Navarre Beach fishing pier.

The county’s ranking system, which has been used for about 20 years to make various selections, has come under fire following last month’s special meeting to decide the top firm to manage the pier.

Longtime county residents Pasco Gibson, who owns Nichols Seafood Restaurant and Marina in Milton, and Yolanda Wells, a veteran of the food service industry, were ranked the top pick.

However, three of the five commissioners had selected current pier managers Dorothy Slye and Everett Ratliff as their top pick.

“It’s not about who got it, it’s about the process in place that failed the system,” said Commissioner Don Salter. “I’m of the nature that if something needs fixed, fix it. Don’t let it make a bad decision for you. Fix it.”

After last month’s meeting to rank the candidates, county staff began negotiating a contract with Gibson and Wells to manage the pier. However, Commissioner Bob Cole said that was just a ranking and the board never did vote to direct county staff to begin negotiations with anyone.

The board will vote on Thursday to select a firm to manage the pier between Gibson and Wells and Slye and Ratliff.

Commissioner Jim Williamson, who last month selected Gibson and Wells as his top pick and ranked Slye and Ratliff fourth, said he did not support the board taking a separate vote to select a pier manager. He compared it to changing the rules of a game after it was over to alter its outcome.

“Until you change the rules, you go by the rules,” Williamson said. “This RFP was done by the rules that were in place.”

Contact Daily News Business Editor Dusty Ricketts at 850-315-4448 or dricketts@nwfdailynews.com. Follow him on Twitter @DustyRnwfdn.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:22 pm

I really could care less who manages the $8.4 million dollar fishing pier and I am a leaseholder, prior resident of SRC and have been coming to NB for 20 years or more. All I ask is that someone that gets the lease runs the place in a honest,public revenue accountable and professional manner.
More BOCC time has been spent on the Pier Bar and Pier Contract than most other public facilities in SRC over the last 3 years. :cry:
Changing the rules after the RFP's were opened is potentially a problem for SRC. One Comm represented MS Slye in another NB lease proposal on the West Tom Thumb property and had to recuse himself from voting on that contract. I don't know if that is an issue on this vote?
Oh well "All politics is local"and the GOB's rule in the Redneck Riviera. I do love the place but like most folks like to complain.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:42 pm

I see reports this afternoon that law suits are flying all over the place regarding the contract now.

Why am I not surprised by this?

The SRC commissioners should be ashamed of themselves - but even more so, Navarre residents need to elect someone who would go to Milton and kick some rear ends into shape. Won't happen of course...
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:53 pm

ONLY VIABLE FUTURE SOLUTION: The Navarre Beach Greater Area needs to Incorporate…by becoming a city called Navarre Beach, Florida.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Garrison

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:12 am

Kenny Wilder wrote:ONLY VIABLE FUTURE SOLUTION: The Navarre Beach Greater Area needs to Incorporate…by becoming a city called Navarre Beach, Florida.
I too was disappointed with what I thought was the decision to switch pier managers, to the point that I was already considering alternate plans for vacation next year (yeah, I know, my tourist dollars are a small fish in a big bowl but they're mine). I've spent the equivalent of a month on that pier over the last two peak seasons and never saw any problems beyond the occasional overzealous teenage fisherman at the end of the pier. The bar is a very casual, laid back place to take a break and get a cold beer, right up my alley. Also, by my observation, the "loud music" issue was nothing more than politically motivated or pursued by someone from Summerwind who felt they were of a higher class than the "common" locals or fishermen prevalent on the pier. My family and I were happy with the Pier as is, thanks.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:58 am

Kenny Wilder wrote:ONLY VIABLE FUTURE SOLUTION: The Navarre Beach Greater Area needs to Incorporate…by becoming a city called Navarre Beach, Florida.
I've seen other communities negatively impacted (although it took a decade or two to notice it) by incorporation but there are many and various reasons for incorporation and in the case of Navarre Beach, incorporation may be the only avenue toward financial equality. At least it would give NB some say-so with the "powers that be" in Milton. Right now, to put it metaphorically, Milton is pimping NB and NB can't do a thing about it except gripe. If there is a better alternative to incorporation, I'm not aware of it.

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Sandstomper

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:48 pm

Prediction - Since the voting rules were not amended prior to the original vote, the results will remain as is.

Too bad Pier, Inc. couldn't retain and operate the Pier Bar space and the winner runs the pier and builds an add-on restaurant. Probably too complex for this idea to function in that space.

I like the sound of Kenny Wilder, Mayor - New City of Navarre Beach, Florida!

OR, even better, let's just secede and from the Country of Navarre :D
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:15 pm

I agree Garrison! Seems to me this is pretty much political, as is the case with anything that has either money or too many Chiefs involved. I am happy with the current status.
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Agreed PK. Too many political Chiefs, money and no operator rules to fly by.
The BOCC on 10-10-2013 rejected all previous RFP bids for the Fishing Pier and ancillary operations. New rules are being adapted and new RFP's will be drafted, approved and advertised by the next 3 SRC BOCC meetings.
Good luck to whomever the successful bidder in this do over selection process.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:46 am

I say let's do this selection process beach style and forget county politics. Iron Chef cook off and then a business presentation as in the show Shark Tank. Makes perfect beach sense to me!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:09 am

Linda wrote:I say let's do this selection process beach style and forget county politics. Iron Chef cook off and then a business presentation as in the show Shark Tank. Makes perfect beach sense to me!
HAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd love to see that, Heck! That sounds like a good excuse to stay at the beach for a week with no work to me!

In the "warped world" of politics that isn't ever going to happen. Shame really... Oh well.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:26 am

The Santa Rosa County Commissioners decided last week to rebid the Pier management contact and utilize a more fair formula in awarding the contract. I'm thinking it may be late November or December before a contract is awarded.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:33 am

So, am I to understand that the recent folks who were rewarded the contract, do not really have the contract? Seems like a potential lawsuit?

Return to “Navarre Beach Fishing Pier - The Longest Pier In Florida ”