Sex Offender working at the Pier

This is where you can find the Pier fishing reports, Pier photos of those huge fish, and other information. This is a beautiful place to walk along the Pier and shoot memory photos of the Pier and Navarre Beach. Bring your camera and post your Pier photos here!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:26 am

The article below was in this week's or last week's edition of the Navarre Press. This article states Ms. Slye knew of his background. I have a very serious issue with Ms. Slye's thinking, rationale and decision making ability if this is true. Sex offenders are dangerous, a menace to society and science, medicine and research will show you they have virtually a 100% recidivism rate.

Saturday, 12 October 2013 15:22
Last Updated on Monday, 14 October 2013 13:41
Written by Romi White

WEB-Pier-sex-offender-McLaughlin-headsotIn spite of a county ordinance prohibiting registered sex offenders from entering any county park, a registered sex offender has been working at the Navarre Beach Pier. Current pier operator Dorothy Slye confirmed on Oct. 8 that Walter Kirk McLaughlin, 55, was working at the county-owned facility she manages and stated knowledge of his background.

When county officials were informed of the matter; the employee was terminated immediately.

To read more, subscribe online or pick up a copy of the October 17 Navarre Press.
RoBear

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:43 am

I can assure you that there is more than one person working there that has had a brush with the law. I think he still works there anyways. I haven't been in a while. (Not giving the guy in the article a pass, but not everyone working there is lilly white) I think you might be amazed how many Offenders, and even Preditors, walk right on through that ordinance. The pier bar is not somewhere I would bring my kid anyway...and I would never leave them alone on the pier alone. I think the day when people watched out for one another's children is, sadly, gone.
Notice it says "Ordinance" and not "Law". (I'm not too keen on the SO/SP laws or goings ons as I don't have problem.) Maybe a ticket and call the thier probabtion officer..if they have one. I do know there are none where I live, thankfully....and one of the reasons we bought the house we did.

http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offend ... SearchMain you can look them up.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:23 am

RoBear...you are probably right and it is indeed a sad commentary on our time now in this country. I am sure Navarre is not the exception. We simply live in a far more fallen country than we were 10, 20, 30 years ago.

Nonetheless, I have real reservations about anyone hiring a sex offender that knows of that past and most certainly not doing due diligence in finding out what is legal or not.

In giving her the benefit of the doubt, perhaps she was trying to help the guy get on his feet but that type of offense and particularly if it is child related (and not saying it was cause I don't know), is simply not to be tolerated.
silverbadge

Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:30 am

PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:33 am

If this is the case and I read the report and it is the case, shame on Ms. Slye for not doing due diligence and doing a very minute amount of background work to see who and what this scumbag was and did. Wow!!!

Sexual offenses on an adult is bad enough. Once a child is involved, it is ratcheted up a hundred fold. That bastard should be monitored and not allowed on that pier ever again. As long as they allow kids on the pier, a child predator is not allowed.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:03 am

P'Kid - It should be very obvious to all that read the Navarre Press that they have a real vendetta against Ms. Slye. Why? I sure don't know, but she cannot sneeze sideways without being called "out" by the NP. They never miss one iota to go uncovered and will embellish it whatever way they want.

Hiring that bartender was not a wise decision ... however, children should not be sitting at the bar.
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:21 am

EBB......I have no idea about the "being out to get Ms. Slye thing." I will stay out of that mess! For the most part, I for one believe the crew managing the pier have done a very good job. However, over and beyond any vendetta against her, she should have, without question" checked this situation out before she hired this guy.

We are not talking about a conviction for shoplifting here or a DWI or non payment of child support. This is a very serious and disturbing offense and he had no business working where kids are around.

I don't care who knows who and who likes who or any favoritism type of thing.....when it concerns potential harm to children and the protection thereof, I am always going to take their side.
RoBear

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:17 am

I thought for some reason he was in the back and not dealing with patrons and the like. I agree more should have been looked into. I wonder if he fibbed a bit on his application or something? Either way, they/she should be better versed in the rules and regulations or ordinances to avoid this kind of thing.
David
Power User
Power User

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:55 am

Wish I had been keeping up, I should have posted an answer much earlier!

P'cola said:
EBB......I have no idea about the "being out to get Ms. Slye thing." I will stay out of that mess! For the most part, I for one believe the crew managing the pier have done a very good job. However, over and beyond any vendetta against her, she should have, without question" checked this situation out before she hired this guy

Everyone should find it interesting to know that the "offender" was first sent to the pier by the County as part of his required work hours.

He was a good worker, so knowing there was more to the story than what it appears (older girls accusations from what I hear, not little innocent children as discussed here), it was discussed by Pier Inc and the County was asked of problems and their Attorney, etc. all OK'd his hiring. Yes, P'cola, he was checked out but then the County, a CYA move or orders from Melvin, after the article, demanded he be let go.

You will also find it interesting that the pier is not listed as part of the County Parks, though, yes, it was a part of the past State Park when it existed. It may be now, but was not at the time of the wrapper's article, though the wrapper's article says it was (probably done just to make things look worse).

As EastBB said, the local mullet wrapper definitely has a vendetta against Ms. Sly as witnessed by the fact that the same issue of the wrapper, with at least two articles intended to slander, had no mention at all of the Children's Fishing Tournament held the prior Saturday sponsored by Pier Inc., HBTSea Fishing Club, and many of the wrapper's advertisers. No mention at all of the 400 plus kids that got free rods and reels outfitted by volunteers during the week prior. No mention of the great time they all had, along with parents and grandparents, learning, not only how to fish, but many other positive lessons of the Gulf and it's marine life. The year prior had over 500 happy kids and hardly a mention by the mullet wrapper though there had been many long articles of criticism. I should add that not a single commissioner was there in support of a very positive event for the children of the entire County held on the Pier that has put hundreds of thousands of dollars in the County's pocket since it's running by Pier Inc.

If you do not think that the wrapper's owner is on a vendetta then maybe you should check out (or consider) why she owns dorothysly.com having bought it 8 years ago, long before Dorothy managed the pier. Her childish saga has been going on for some time.

P'cola, though you promised last year, I did not see you there with the rest of the volunteers helping the kids learn to be good fishermen. Please remember that the next time you have the urge to be so critical of the local kids.
Last edited by David on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:16 am

WARNING FROM THE ADMINISTRATOR

David,

THANK YOU…Thank you for your honest comments about the unfounded rumors, gossip and the ongoing vendetta by the Navarre Press against Dorothy Sly, the current operator of the Navarre Beach Fishing Pier. I have an abhorrence for those that perpetrate false rumors and gossip on this forum. Most of the time they just don’t provide facts and supporting evidence from credible sources.

There have been other instances that really bother me such as the comment by a few forum members that don’t live here, complained on the forum last summer about my good friend Nick and Oscar his dog. The false, unfounded and unfriendly gossip was that Nick parked his van every day in front of the Pier and one of our forum members went so far as to suggest that Nick should be arrested for tying up the parking place. Nick has every right to park his van at the Pier or any other public place.

Then several years ago many forum members posted comments about Cocodrie’s Restaurant that is no longer in business. Some of the complaints were understandable, but most of the comments were vicious personal attacks against the owner. After I warned the forum members about these personal attacks they continued and I ended up banning over a dozen forum members for life. Usually, when I ban a forum member it’s for life and in a few rare exceptions I have banned members for 30 days. I banned a forum member for 30 days last week for continuing to post a false rumor that had absolutely no foundation.

Going forward I am going to be observing the forum more carefully regarding negative and unfounded rumors. Take your rumors and gossip somewhere else. I would like to see more positive comments on the forum concerning Navarre Beach.

I support Dorothy Sly, Ms. Pat and her staff 100%. They have provided outstanding service as the operator of the Navarre Beach Fishing Pier. I pray that the County Commissioners use fair discernment and award Dorothy a new contract.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Sandstomper

Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:22 pm

David, thanks so much for providing "...the rest of the story." I understand "turn the other cheek" and all, but for the life of me, I do wish Ms. Slye would somehow rebutt the lies and half truths that have been leveled against her and her company. I know she doesn't own a newspaper, but there is social media, this wonderful forum, etc. It is very disturbing to see this misinformation repeated time and time again as being the truth. Reminds me of our damn lousy current government.

Thanks again for accentuating the positive contribution that those associated with the Pier and Pier, Inc. have made to the community.

AND David, PLEASE run for County Commissioner. We need an intelligent, common sensed Representative who can look out for our best interest in Milton.
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!

Return to “Navarre Beach Fishing Pier - The Longest Pier In Florida ”