MESSAGE FROM DOROTHY SLYE

This is where you can find the Pier fishing reports, Pier photos of those huge fish, and other information. This is a beautiful place to walk along the Pier and shoot memory photos of the Pier and Navarre Beach. Bring your camera and post your Pier photos here!
rexy

Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:53 pm

The truth is coming out, I did not pay much attention to the situation at the time, hope it does compromise her bids. I wonder if the young man who started it all is in any of the wedding pics, maybe with his famous Dad.
David
Power User
Power User

Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Rexy,

I have no idea who the kid mentioned could have been, certainly not one with such an important dad as quoted. It is certainly not the way of any of the employees that I have experienced nor Ms Slye's sons to be as the smart a-- described.

You took your walk, apparently, before I arrived as many more were on the pier when I was there than you described and there were many guest for the wedding. 300 walker fees were paid to the County by Ms Slye, another truth left out by her critics.
David
Kayak Dave
Power User
Power User

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:18 am

I also sent the SRBCC an email of support for Dorothy and The Pier Inc.
I will be the first to say that there have been some bad managment decisions. I don't know of any business that makes the right decision every time. This is a brand new private/government cooperation, no one has done this before. But they have made MANY more good decisions made that may have not increased their bottom line but were for the benefit of the community. Dorothy's management style is based on her love of the pier and the people that believe the pier is the best thing to happen to Navarre since sliced bread.
Can anyone name another Navarre business that has as many loyal and vocal supporters? Yes there are plenty of naysayers, but what other business elicits such strong feelings? That's because it is the people's pier and we need someone running the pier that understands that and doesn't see the mgt. contract as a golden goose.
Here are a few pics from last year's FREE Thanksgiving Dinner at the Pier. Anyone know of another place to have a humongus Thanksgiving meal FREE and open to EVERYONE? The people that love the Pier are a family that welcomes all who feel the same way.
I just hope whoever wins the contract cares about the Pier and it's family as much as Dorothy does.
Attachments
Pier T-giving.JPG
Pier T-giving.JPG (685.32 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
Pier food.JPG
Pier food.JPG (651.12 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
Pier food 2.JPG
Pier food 2.JPG (678.91 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
KayakDave
850-313-9158
Navarre Beach Kayaks
Kayak Eco Tours
http://www.NavarreBeachKayaks.com
Info@NavarreBeachKayaks.com
David
Power User
Power User

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:30 pm

That's because it is the people's pier and we need someone running the pier that understands that and doesn't see the mgt. contract as a golden goose.
How right you are Dave, your entire post, not just the quote above!

How could any other bidder that did not grow up in Navarre as Dorothy and Junior and spend much of their life on and around the pier as they, have the love and understanding of the pulse of Navarre Pier. Dorothy's many successful years of association with our tourists and property owners only adds to her ability and attests to her dedication to all that frequent the pier on a daily basis. Add Ms Pat to that unselfish mix and you have a definite winner for the County and especially the Pier

Where were these other bidders at 3 years ago? They now show an interest because of the successes of Pier,Inc., not any shortcomings they have been accused of by a few that had bones to pick long before the new pier was built. The new bidders now want to take advantage of the ground work accomplished by Pier,Inc. in the last 3 years. Pier Inc. has invested lots of money, time, and passion in the last 3 years trying to make the Pier a place for everyone, visitors and fishermen. It would be a crying shame to lose what they have accomplished in such a short time to people that are looking for a piece of the pie without spending time in the kitchen as they have.

Instead of the County crying over a power bill, agreed to pay in the contract, they should recognize the hundreds of thousands of dollars they have realized in the last 3 years. Those dollars are proof of Pier Inc.'s success, not a dream by some other bidder. Remember this is the same County that took no fees at all when they gave it to the State to run as part of the park.

The County and a few others also seem to forget that this is a fishing pier and one big golden egg that they might well not have if it were not for the years of meetings and lobbying by the locals like Dorothy, Junior, Ms Pat, and the fishermen that frequent it. Many did not want to rebuild it, thought other things would draw more visitors. That included someone, who now finds himself trying to micro manage the Pier for his self centered reasons. Most now recognize it as the huge draw that it is and a great big cash cow for the County. Destin (not many years ago a sleepy little fishing village) has it's docks and fishing fleet, we have our fishing pier.

Lets let Pier Inc. continue to show their devotion to what Navarre Pier should be, not the unrealistic dreams of others that have not paid the price as Dorothy has. Lets let those that want large fancy restaurants build them in Navarre where there are numerous high traffic locations that would still be convenient to all. Lets not forget Navarre Pier IS a fishing pier, not a mecca for other attractions that the other bidders propose.
David
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:33 am

We spent last week in Navarre and on Thanksgiving afternoon we stopped by the pier. They once again had their Thanksgiving day meal to share for all who stopped by. Everyone was very friendly and in good spirits. This is really a great way to give thanks back to the community that supports them.
Sandstomper

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:15 pm

AMEN, David! For those hellbent on opening a restaurant on Navarre Beach, Cocodries old location sat empty for quite a while. Where were you then?
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!

Return to “Navarre Beach Fishing Pier - The Longest Pier In Florida ”