Pier bar wrecked!

This is where you can find the Pier fishing reports, Pier photos of those huge fish, and other information. This is a beautiful place to walk along the Pier and shoot memory photos of the Pier and Navarre Beach. Bring your camera and post your Pier photos here!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:21 pm

Well ...

http://navarrepress.com/news/60/6919-pi ... torn-apart

So the pier bar patrons are nice, happy and quiet, not to mention friendly people huh?

I suspect there will be law suits over this... Or did Dorothy just not have effective security tonight?
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
Catchin Hell

Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:37 pm

Just saw nearly the same post on the PFF forum. To me, the article reads as if they know who did it, but are awaiting some kind of ruling on pressing charges from the county. My guess would be the outgoing vendor paid out of pocket to have it built and felt no need to convey it freely to the new vendor. Just a theory of course...

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f2 ... ost2192145
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:50 pm

It certainly is "unfortunate".

This opens a number of questions in my mind, mostly about responsibility (or the lack of it this evening) and the implications for potential action by the new management. Is there is an implied ownership of what was destroyed? If it is the county, then do they take legal action? Would TC's look to REDUCE financial liability for the new contract length if a proportion of the resource they bid on is destroyed while Dorothy was still "in charge"?

Could get messy.

I'm not going to speculate about who is involved or turned their backs on it or anything like that, but I do share your reading of the Navarre Press "tone". Perhaps there is more to this than is currently being said at the moment... We were going to be down there in Navarre this weekend, but had to call off our visit. In a way, I wish were actually there... be interesting to see it all first hand.

I do wonder just how much was destroyed.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:22 am

I read a report this morning on another web site that:

"The current owners of the lease with the county are in the process of removing equipment from the bar area and other areas that required removing part of the bar of in order to get to the necessary equipment that had to be removed."

The same article goes onto say that:

"Sometime yesterday there was a reporter from the newspaper who trespassed into the bar area which was covered closed by plastic in order to take a photo." and... "The sheriff department was out to the pier area this morning to investigate what was going on due to several calls from one of the county commissioners." and... "Because there was no sign that said no trespassing no charges will be filed against the reporter."

(Note that I corrected the spelling mistakes present in the original).

I have to say that for me, the entire episode seems to be rather poorly managed by all involved. I saw a photo that was obviously a flash picture of structural members in a pile on top of what looked like the foundations to the bar area but I do ask: Removing equipment that "Had to be removed?" Huh? What needed to be removed? Isn't the entire thing County property on lease? Shouldn't it all be returned to the county in good condition? Something is not quite as it appears..... and as I wrote last night: "Perhaps there is more to this than is currently being said at the moment... "
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:54 pm

NAVARRE PRESS REPORT FROM LAST NIGHT
Saturday, 28 December 2013 22:06
Last Updated on Saturday, 28 December 2013 22:51
Written by Navarre Press Staff Reports

Pier Bar torn apart

The pier bar area of the Santa Rosa County-owned Navarre Beach Fishing Pier was severely damaged Saturday evening. Deputies responded to the pier four times Saturday to investigate the demolishing of fixtures and removal of wood from the pier bar area.

Saturday night boards which have been forcibly removed from the bar are lying on the floor with many nails and splinters exposed, and a dumpster on the property is filled with boards containing nails.

A sergeant with the Santa Rosa County Sheriff's Office stated no official action has been taken due to a lack of direction from the county on the matter. Currently pier management is under transition between Pier, Inc. and TC’s Coastal Pier, LLC.

SOURCE:
http://navarrepress.com/news/60/6919-pi ... g.facebook

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The story published last night above by the Navarre Press was misleading. The current management company of the Navarre Beach Fishing Pier (Pier, Inc.) last night and today are in the process of removing equipment that they own from the outside bar, the outside walk-in freezer, the store equipment that includes the kitchen equipment. Removing all of Pier, Inc’s equipment was required by Santa Rosa County so that the new management company TC’s Coastal Pier, LLC can move in their own equipment to be ready for opening on January 1, 2014.

Yesterday a reporter for the Navarre Press went into the outside bar area that was plainly closed with plastic in order to shoot photos.

The Sherriff’s Department was called out to the Pier this morning to investigate what was going on due to several phone calls from one County Commissioner. Surprise…Surprise…Surprise – Why it’s our own District Commissioner Jim Melvin who lives in Milton, the northern part of the county and the county seat. Commissioner Melvin has once again joined Sandi Kemp their ongoing personal vendetta against Dorothy Slye. Because there was no sign that said “no trespassing”, no charges were filed against the reporter of the Navarre Press.

Dale and I went out to the Pier this morning to get the whole story, and talked with Dorothy Slye while she and others were still in the process of removing Dorothy’s equipment. Dorothy, said “Sandy Kemp and the Navarre Press can no longer continue to attack me, because I am selling my residence on Navarre Beach, and I’m moving to the northern part of the county where I have purchased 40 acres in the country.” Also, Dorothy Slye said “A few years ago I wanted to add an outside deck for a bar, but the county was not willing to pay for the outside deck extension. I paid about $70,000 of my own money for the construction”. I asked Dorothy if she will be reimbursed for the $70,000 and she said “Of course not.”

Dorothy told me that she is glad that it was over. My take is that Dorothy and her staff did a wonderful job of operating the Pier since June 2010. Many of us that live in the Navarre Beach Greater Area know the whole story. We will miss her and her staff.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks for the update Kenny.

The entire episode seems to have been brought about by the N.P. reporter, who has caused several of us to comment perhaps somewhat too severely. I had to cancel being on the beach this week, otherwise I'd have gone down there yesterday evening myself and seen what was going on, so your input is essential.

I do wonder about the matter of who owns what at the pier. There is discussion elsewhere about what makes something personal or pier property, and not knowing what the actual written agreements are, I don't know for sure. If Dorothy put money into the pier by buying equipment, I'd have thought it was part of the pier and therefore not to be removed? Oh well, I don't know the contracts, so Lord alone knows what is and is not included. At least you are indicating that this is SRC sanctioned.

Mind you, SRC counselors don't usually give a damn about the south end of the county, so zero supervision unless there is revenue under threat is what I suspect. Another reason to incorporate Navarre?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:49 pm

bjrichus wrote:Thanks for the update Kenny.

The entire episode seems to have been brought about by the N.P. reporter, who has caused several of us to comment perhaps somewhat too severely. I had to cancel being on the beach this week, otherwise I'd have gone down there yesterday evening myself and seen what was going on, so your input is essential.

I do wonder about the matter of who owns what at the pier. There is discussion elsewhere about what makes something personal or pier property, and not knowing what the actual written agreements are, I don't know for sure. If Dorothy put money into the pier by buying equipment, I'd have thought it was part of the pier and therefore not to be removed? Oh well, I don't know the contracts, so Lord alone knows what is and is not included. At least you are indicating that this is SRC sanctioned.

Mind you, SRC counselors don't usually give a damn about the south end of the county, so zero supervision unless there is revenue under threat is what I suspect. Another reason to incorporate Navarre?
I did not say Dorothy put money into the pier by buying equipment. I clearly reported that she said “A few years ago I wanted to add an outside deck for a bar, but the county was not willing to pay for the outside deck extension. I paid about $70,000 of my own money for the construction”.

Dorothy bought her own equipment for the Pier and she is removing it as she should because 1) She owns her equipment and 2) The County directed her to move her equipment. If the County disagreed with this they would have filed an injunction in court to seize her equipment. Now that would have been a dumb and messy situation.

I know how this works. Back in the 1990’s I owned a large restaurant equipment company in Atlanta. My customers would buy their own equipment from my company for their restaurant that usually was leased property. If they moved they would remove their equipment, or if they were in default with their lease payments, the landlord might petition the courts to seize the equipment. This is not the case regarding the Pier.

WHO OWNS WHAT AT THE PIER
1. The County owns the Pier and all the structures attached to the Pier.
2. Pier, Inc. owned "only their equipment" for the Pier Bar and the Pier Store, which is being removed.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:17 pm

Something tells me "this one has legs" as the media folk say.

http://weartv.com/news/features/top-sto ... 9858.shtml

Only problem is that for Dorothy, even considering all she has done positive at the pier, has some powerful enemies in Milton and other places, as well as a record of defaulting on taxes for Sandy Bottoms. All in all, I suspect the knives are out for her...

This one is going to run for a while and get VERY messy.
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:03 pm

Managing a $8.4 million dollar government owned public Fishing Pier with a $70,000 tenant finished platform bar and makeshift bandstand seems to be a pain in the posterior to a lot of folks. If all the I's were dotted and the T's were crossed in the BOCC contract this should be a simple damage liability problem to solve. :oops:
Wishing the best of luck to the next pier operator.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Navarrebeacher wrote:Wishing the best of luck to the next pier operator.
Well, all the local media were against the outgoing crew, so if that's anything to go by, I would not want the contract.

The saga continues too, and Monday should see some interesting developments.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:31 pm

Navarrebeacher wrote:If all the I's were dotted and the T's were crossed in the BOCC contract this should be a simple damage liability problem to solve.
Gerald,

It's going to be a fun Monday for those in charge of deciding the end game for this. If we assume something does find it's way to a court, then the judge is going to make no friends out of the job.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:12 pm

bjrichus wrote:
Navarrebeacher wrote:If all the I's were dotted and the T's were crossed in the BOCC contract this should be a simple damage liability problem to solve.
Gerald,

It's going to be a fun Monday for those in charge of deciding the end game for this. If we assume something does find it's way to a court, then the judge is going to make no friends out of the job.
From tonight's PNJ (Pensacola News Journal) article, it seems there is confusion on if the bar was free standing or affixed. That is what they will be evaluating tomorrow... "According to Santa Rosa County spokesperson Joy Tsubooka, current pier management company Pier, Inc. is removing the bar before the contract expires on Dec. 31.

Whether it is legal for them to do so, Tsubooka said, depends on whether or not the bar is a part of the pier structure.

"It all comes down to whether the bar was affixed or freestanding," Tsubooka said. "Because of the way the contract was written, if it was affixed then it would need to stay. But if it was freestanding then they are able to take it."

"A county engineer visited the site Saturday and made the determination that the bar was a freestanding structure, but officials likely will return Monday to "reassess the situation,” Tsubooka said.

It's unclear at this point what consequences there would be should it be determined the bar was an affixed structure."

For Pier,Inc. to be liable is a huge problem for the County Attorney and the 5 County Commissioners when they meet in the morning since County Engineer Roger Blaylock visited the Pier on Saturday and made the determination that the bar was a freestanding structure. The County will have a difficult time in proving "willful intent" about removing the bar regardless of whether it is “freestanding” or “fixedstanding” since Pier, Inc. relied on the determination of the County Engineer on Saturday.

But Sandi Kemp of the Navarre Press and other local news media see blood in the water and are determined to continue destroying the good reputation of Dorothy Slye. Kemp had her husband Scott Kemp to add fuel to the fire tonight with his facebook post below:

“I have personally asked the Commissioners to file charges and for Sheriff Hall to hold his Deputies accountable for thier lack of action last night. Total breakdown of justice on this one.”

Welcome to Mayberry! Now all we need at tomorrow's meeting is to have the 5 County Commissioners decide “Who’s On First”.

[ytubehd][/ytubehd]

Did you figure out which one of these guys in the video is Commissioner Jim Melvin?
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:20 pm

Kenny Wilder wrote: Did you figure out which one of these guys in the video is Commissioner Jim Melvin?
Was that clip really from 1981?

I thought Melvin was younger than that?
RoBear

Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:55 pm

I saw this on the news tonight. I have to say, due to all this negativity, I will not be a customer at the new pier. It may not be the new persons fault, but I think the bad blood will continue to haunt the place. (I didn't frequent the old pier that much either though) I do not believe a lot of what the Navarre Press report and even less by the idiots at the NWFL daily news. Neither allow facts to get in the way of a good story.
Sandstomper

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:10 am

A prime example of the inefficiencies of government.

Since the county appears to be very interested in being in the restaurant and bar business, you would think that BEFORE asking for RFP's to manage the pier, the county would have made the affixed/freestanding structure determination. If it was deemed freestanding as indicated above, then you would think that the county would have made an offer of reimbursement/puchase of the improvements and equipment to Pier, Inc. BEFORE asking for RFP's, then move to declare the improvements and equipment as affixed so that there is no question ongoing to the new operator.

Just a layman's opinion.
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!

Return to “Navarre Beach Fishing Pier - The Longest Pier In Florida ”