Pier bar wrecked!

This is where you can find the Pier fishing reports, Pier photos of those huge fish, and other information. This is a beautiful place to walk along the Pier and shoot memory photos of the Pier and Navarre Beach. Bring your camera and post your Pier photos here!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:35 am

Sandstomper wrote:A prime example of the inefficiencies of government.
Seems to me we have SRC not having a well written contract, standard industry practices and taxpayer expectations all pointing to different outcomes. I also see local media outlets saying a bunch of contradictory things, all probably due to only partly informed (as well as sometimes outright hostile) reporting, along with the need to "rush to print" in a digital age. It's why I said I wanted to see it for myself the night it happened as well as talking face to face with the people involved (glad Kenny provided that input at least) and was disappointed that I was not able to.

All in all, a real mess, with plenty of room for partially informed opinions while the situation has still to fully play itself out in an unfortunate (and very public) way.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:37 am

IMHO and another laymans opinion. I however did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
The whole lease situation of all aspects on NB has been handled badly by the BOCC from day one. Allowing the leaseholder to build the $70,000 improvments was a fly by night contract agreement without any plan or special provisions is pretty irresponsible for a $8.4 million dolar public asset like a public Fishing Pier. Comm Cole, Salter, and Melvin and the County Attorney should all be replaced. Micro Management by the Keystone Cops is a joke. Good luck to anyone that is now in the position to manage the Pier and Ancillary Operations. As I recall the gooberment could not run the Mustang Ranch in NV and make a profit for the taxpayers. Why do we think local politicians in SRC can do any better? :oops:
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:06 pm

bjrichus wrote:
Sandstomper wrote:A prime example of the inefficiencies of government.
Seems to me we have SRC not having a well written contract, standard industry practices and taxpayer expectations all pointing to different outcomes. I also see local media outlets saying a bunch of contradictory things, all probably due to only partly informed (as well as sometimes outright hostile) reporting, along with the need to "rush to print" in a digital age. It's why I said I wanted to see it for myself the night it happened as well as talking face to face with the people involved (glad Kenny provided that input at least) and was disappointed that I was not able to.

All in all, a real mess, with plenty of room for partially informed opinions while the situation has still to fully play itself out in an unfortunate (and very public) way.
Another thing ... and this is true nationwide ... MANY so-called "journalists" are reporting on things they know absolutely nothing about (and understand even less) as though they were experts in the field. They are being "trained" by liberal professors who are pushing their "progressive" agenda instead of teaching sound research skills. Sad to say, these are the unequipped "historians" that future generations will read about our current society!!

Just goes to show how this "trickle down" stupidity effects local issues, too!

:(
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:33 pm

AngelGirl wrote:Another thing ... and this is true nationwide ... MANY so-called "journalists" are reporting on things they know absolutely nothing about (and understand even less)...
As a famous phrase goes: "Twas ever thus..."
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:14 pm

Formal notice form SRC: They are OK with it all...

http://www.santarosa.fl.gov/news/newsre ... 0-PIER.pdf

Text of release:

= = = =

External Communication

Navarre Beach Pier Management Transition

On Wednesday, Jan. 1, management of the Navarre Beach Pier transitions to TC’s Coastal Pier, LLC. The pier will open at 5 a.m. and no admission will be charged on Jan. 1 to facilitate the transition of pier operators. Pier hours of operations are 5 a.m. to 11 p.m., seven days a week. Store and restaurant hours will be announced at a later date.

Questions arose Saturday afternoon, Dec. 28, regarding the removal of items by the current contractors, Pier Inc. on the deck attached to the ancillary building which houses the pier store. The county engineer visited the site Saturday and found a lean to structure removed. After that visit, an estimated 10 x 15 foot bar was removed. Staff revisited the site Monday morning, Dec. 30, and found that both structures were freestanding and had not been fastened to the floor and therefore could be likened to furniture, and were within the right of Pier Inc. to remove. No county funds were used to construct the bar; all costs were paid by Pier Inc. Both the deck and canopy remain.

County representatives have been on-site to help facilitate an orderly transition including building inspectors, who are working to ensure that the current operator removes equipment and furnishings in a manner that leaves the area safe and structurally sound. Additionally, the current and succeeding contractors met Monday morning to conduct a preliminary walk through and discuss the changeover.

County Administrator Hunter Walker commented on the change in operations, “The county is ready to assist both TC’s Coastal Pier, LLC and the Pier, Inc. to facilitate a smooth transition for the residents of Santa Rosa County and to accommodate the needs of the new management in the startup of their operations.”

Joy Tsubooka
Public Information Officer
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:56 am

County: Pier, Inc. justified to tear down Navarre Beach Pier bar

Pensacola News Journal
http://www.pnj.com/article/20131230/NEW ... h-Pier-bar

Santa Rosa County officials said Monday that the firm operating the Navarre Beach Pier was justified to remove a free-standing bar and a lean-to from the county-owned facility over the weekend.

Concerns arose Saturday when Pier, Inc. demolished a 10-by-15-foot bar and lean-to at the pier apparently without prior notification of county officials.

Pier Inc.’s lease to operate and manage the county-owned pier and associated concessions expires Tuesday. TC’s Coastal Porch takes over management of the pier at 5 a.m. Wednesday.

Santa Rosa County spokeswoman Joy Tsubooka said county staff inspected the site Saturday, and again on Monday.

During the Monday visit staff found that “both structures were freestanding and had not been fastened to the floor and therefore could be likened to furniture, and were within the right of Pier Inc. to remove.”

No county funds were used to construct the bar and lean-to and all costs were paid by Pier Inc., she said.

Joey Bryant, one of the principals with TC’s Coastal Porch, said despite the bar being removed from the pier, the group still plans on opening Wednesday.

“We will be in there on Wednesday and make the best of it,” Bryant said. “The bar is gone. So, now we get to build our bar the way we want, and that's a definite positive. But it will take us longer to get the bar open, so it's kind of a mixed bag.”

Bryant, Scott Rayner, Josh Pickett and Bob Benaquis are all partners of TC’s Coastal Porch, which takes over management of the pier on Wednesday.

“As long as we can get in there and make sure it's safe we're going to open the pier on Jan. 1,” Bryant said. “We're going to gradually open up the store. We may have some light items in there Wednesday, like coffee, soft drinks and ice.

“But most of the things will come in the second week of January after we get in there and set up everything.”

County Administrator Hunter Walker said the “county is ready to assist both TC’s Coastal Pier, LLC and the Pier, Inc. to facilitate a smooth transition for the residents of Santa Rosa County and to accommodate the needs of the new management in the start-up of their operations.”

County officials, including building inspectors, have been at the pier to ensure that Pier, Inc. removes equipment and furnishings in a manner that leaves the area safe and structurally sound, Tsubooka said.

Additionally, the current and succeeding contractors met Monday morning to conduct a preliminary walk through and discuss the changeover.

The pier is currently managed by Dorothy Slye and Everett Ratliff, Jr., of Pier, Inc.

In early December the Santa Rosa County Commission voted to award a new management contract for the pier to TC’s Coastal Porch.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:22 am

FROM THE ADMINISTRATOR

A newspaper’s job is to report the news - not make it up when there is no news to report, and it is the newspaper’s responsibility to research for accuracy before their news is published. Otherwise news journalism in Northwest Florida will become a dead source of information. Don’t believe everything that you read from a newspaper, the internet and that includes information posted here on the Navarre Beach Life Forum. The news media has the components of the good, the bad and the ugly. You just need to decipher for yourselves the good and the truth.

And a final note: I absolutely hate gossip and the perpetrating of false rumors on the Navarre Beach Life Forum.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Photo by Kenny Wilder
http://www.KennyWilder.com
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
David
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:58 am

Kenny said:
And a final note: I absolutely hate gossip and the perpetrating of false rumors on the Navarre Beach Life Forum.
Thank you Kenny for the above.

I have personally witnessed very good, God fearing, people have their lives, marriages, reputations, and health injured, if not ruined, by ruthless untrue rumor. My best friend from high school was just one of those who suffered from malicious gossip that was perpetuated by many who repeated things heard as being truth. This was long before the day of, supposedly factual, newspaper articles, internet blogs and forums.

We should all take what we read or hear with a grain of salt, no mater where it is found, and research it for truth before repeating it or even drawing more attention to it by commenting or posting about it for others to pick up and do the same. Why should we add to what someone, obviously malicious, has to say? By doing so we only add our help to their selfish agendas?

I, as Kenny and many others I know, stopped buying the local mullet wrapper many years ago because I recognized it for nothing much more than the expressions of someone who was the same as the back fence gossips of my youth, fabricating, repeating, and adding by inuendo to the misfortunes of others without any concern of fact and truth, only their personal agendas. Seldom do you find good newspapers editorializing on their front pages and, if any retraction given, it is hidden deep in the folds. Good news people leave their editorializing to the pages labeled as OPINION so it will be recognized as such and not taken as fact. Good news people check out all facts, ALL FACTS, before printing as a believable article, especially as a front page story.

My congratulations to the article of the 31st in the PNJ whose writer obviously researched and printed fact rather than furthering malicious rumor and opinion.

Wonder if the local Navarre wrapper will have the dignity to run a front page article of apology for the wrong they have done Ms. Sly, her brother, and many others? I, for one, do not think so!
David
rexy

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:42 am

Even the benches on the pier have been removed, now fishermen have nowhere to put their tackle boxes and junk.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:58 am

rexy wrote:Even the benches on the pier have been removed, now fishermen have nowhere to put their tackle boxes and junk.
I have a great solution for you. Why don’t you go to Wal-Mart and buy a portable chair and little red wagon for your “tackle boxes” and “junk”. Then you would have a place for your ice chest to store all those fish that you’re going to catch.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:05 am

rexy wrote:Even the benches on the pier have been removed, now fishermen have nowhere to put their tackle boxes and junk.
You know what? That is just Pier Inc trying to leave the place as they found it. I'm not going to say if I think that is a good or bad thing, but for sure, it is a thing of the past now. Pier Inc is GONE.

TC's Coastal are there now and we wait to see what they do. Why don't you mention it to the new management and say that it is something really needed? It's only day #2 for them, and I know they will be overwhelmed by it all, so best to get things like this on the list of things to be done ASAP.

I'm going to try and get in there as soon as the new venues they are saying they will build are actually built and open. I hope that they'll do a good job, as Navarre Beach needs it.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:19 am

bjrichus wrote:
You know what? That is just Pier Inc trying to leave the place as they found it. I'm not going to say if I think that is a good or bad thing, but for sure, it is a thing of the past now. Pier Inc is GONE.

TC's Coastal are there now and we wait to see what they do. Why don't you mention it to the new management and say that it is something really needed? It's only day #2 for them, and I know they will be overwhelmed by it all, so best to get things like this on the list of things to be done ASAP.

I'm going to try and get in there as soon as the new venues they are saying they will build are actually built and open. I hope that they'll do a good job, as Navarre Beach needs it.
The County ordered Pier Inc. to remove “all” their stuff from the Pier and they complied.

Below is an image of the “Little Red Wagon”. Just perfect for those great fishing trips on the Pier.

Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
David
Power User
Power User

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:12 pm

8) :wink:

The day the newly constructed pier opened, a hot day in July, a super huge crowd of fishermen and spectators (walkers) stood cramped at the fenced gate. We waiting much too long while Commissioners and others, in the parking lot where cameras were set, took their bows and credits for the pier's construction. Actually, only one of them should have gotten much credit for the years that we struggled to get the pier replaced after 2 bad hurricanes and much, too much, bungling by the County.

Finally we were able to access only to find that things the County should have installed for such a grand event were no where to be seen. After all it was their pier and they were to get all fees but not only were there no benches, there was not a single trash can in sight. Imagine, open a fishing pier with no trash cans, especially since the County put signs out that said no left over bait (great for crabs and bait fish to feed on) could be thrown to the water. Worse was that there were no cans for plastic wrappers and other trash that is deadly to turtles and other sea life if allowed to blow into the water.

But, as the County wondered what to do, Dorothy sent someone to buy cans that the County should have already installed in a way that they were tied down and unable to blow about. Soon after the opening, Pier Inc., at their expense, just as the cans, put benches on the pier so the older walkers and fishermen could take a break.

We will just have to wait and see if the new management is willing to spend their own money for things that should be the County's responsibility ( huh?) or will the County treat them differently?

Rexy said:
"Even the benches on the pier have been removed, now fishermen have nowhere to put their tackle boxes and junk."

I sure hope that was said with tounge in cheek!
David
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:05 am

Apparently when discussing any topic, anywhere at any time, there is virtually no reliable resource in America any longer. Fox News is the only media source that I feel at least gives it the ol college try and even they at times are clueless.

On a different note, if Ms. Slye invested her money in things both in and on the pier, I would think it is her right to take them back, by whatever means that entails. I hope she is happy with her new life up in the northern part of the county and I wish her well. I enjoyed my times (and they were many) on the pier

I will of course patronize the pier in the future regardless who manages it. Unless of course, it fails to provide what I am looking for in that pier experience. Should that happen and I doubt it will, I will address that situation when it arises.

Return to “Navarre Beach Fishing Pier - The Longest Pier In Florida ”