What is going on with the pier these days?

This is where you can find the Pier fishing reports, Pier photos of those huge fish, and other information. This is a beautiful place to walk along the Pier and shoot memory photos of the Pier and Navarre Beach. Bring your camera and post your Pier photos here!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:05 am

What is going on with the pier these days? Has the old bar area been completely and totally removed? Have the new manager's begun work on whatever they were going to do? Does anyone know if the old staff will be asked to remain or have they moved on?
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:46 am

We were there the end of last week through the weekend. The store has been redone with some supplies. The restrooms were still closed and the bar area is still empty although they were working in that area. Very few people fishing.
Razorback

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:34 pm

The older I get the more I hate change especially when I think things didn't need fixed!! The wife and I had made it a morning habit of going down there, walking with the gang then letting Ms. Pat fix our breakfast and tell her stories. We will be back June 14-21 and I hate the fact that this part of my Navarre Beach experience has been taken away from me.
Love Navarre Beach
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:37 pm

Well, here is the upside, Razorback....the real part of the experience has not changed. God's beauty the wildlife the water, the breeze, the smells (in fact, that may be better without all that nasty cigarette smoke. Still much to be thankful for.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:21 am

Change I suppose is inevitable. Some is good, some bad. All those highrises on Navarre Beach....bad. All those houses and highrises on Destin across from the Harbor...bad. Obama becoming President.....horrendous. Sorry, all the bad immediately brought up the fool.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:19 am

I was wondering and hoping that someone, perhaps Kenny if he is feeling better, might take some pictures of what used to be the pier bar area. I am curious as to what is transpiring, if anything in that area.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:05 am

Any updated news on the pier? Activity happening? New additions?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:26 pm

UPDATE ON THE NEW FISHING PIER OPERATOR

I have been reluctant to comment with an update and photos for several weeks hoping that everything would come to together in a timely manner since the new Fishing Pier Operator took over the Pier on January 1, 2014. There are many rumors flying around about why the transition has been slow. You guys know I don’t usually comment about rumors until the story turns out to be true. Here’s what I know is true as of yesterday.

Fishing Pier
The fishermen and walkers have created large crowds since January 1. Yesterday the concession desk reported that over 400 walkers were on the Pier between 7:00 AM and noon. Dale and I spent several hours on the Pier yesterday and talked to many tourist from out state. There are no benches on the pier, and I counted only 1 trash container half way down the Pier and 2 trash containers at the octagon end of the Pier. These trash containers are not strapped to the railings. Last weekend some of the trash containers had turned over. Lots of trash on the Pier not being picked up.

Inside Concession Area
You can buy snacks, beverages and souvenirs in the concession area. The people behind the counter are very friendly. They take the money for folks fishing and walking on the Pier. The Pier Operator receives no compensation from the County for taking these fees.

Inside Food Preparation Area
No inside food preparation equipment or the outside walk-in freezer has been delivered or installed.

Outside Bar Area
This past weekend the outside bar was framed, but not finished. No bar equipment has been delivered or installed. Below are 2 photos that I shot of the bar area.

Summary
The entire project was supposed to be completed by mid-February. I wish the Operator good success with their new County contract to manage the Pier. It’s evident that there is a problem with the bar and food prep areas not being ready. I really hope that the Operator is not experiencing a cash flow problem. We need them to be profitable.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:23 am

Good report Kenny.

I have also been reading those same reports and rumors from elsewhere too. Unfortunately, it looks like at least some of them are confirmed (lack of trash cans, benches etc).

Nearly mid-March and the building work not yet completed is, as you say, a real concern. I did read that the problems with building were permit related, not cash-flow, but I have nothing other than comments online to verify it.

As you know, I got a couple of good photos form the pier last year and want to add to them this year, so certainly don't want the operators to have troubles (and also want to try out the fish sandwich to add to my "reviews"), but have no idea if we are going to be able to do the food review before the fall at this rate of progress.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:33 am

Yes, a dandy report Kenny and thanks for taking the time to do it. Very interesting that the bar area and frankly that pretty much everything is nearing completion. We are in the Spring Break season and very very soon the bigger crowds will start to appear.

Look, ya can't go back but heck, even if they only had bait and cold drinks I would be cool with that. That's all they had from the very beginning and you know what, I had a blast every time I went out there.

What I would hope and wish for would be a smoking ban in Navarre and on Navarre Beach. That is you can't light up within 25 feet of a bar or restaurant and certainly not on the premises.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:44 am

The rumor that the Operator has not been able to complete their build-out and install their food and beverage preparation equipment is false. The Operator may just need an investor to partner with. I'm optimistic that the project will complete soon.

On a good note the outside Women's and Men's restrooms were completed last week.

I will go out to the Pier today to see if any progress is happening and let you folks know of my findings.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Sandstomper

Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:55 am

The County wanted change and that's what they got.

I wonder how much tax revenue has been lost, so far?
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:14 pm

You may be hitting a nerve there Sandstomper. But any lost tax revenue from the Pier will be chump change compared to all the anticipated tax revenue the county feels they might get by rezoning the entire island for high rises. :roll: Cynical? Nahh
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:36 pm

SouthernBreeze wrote:... rezoning the entire island for high rises. :roll: Cynical? Nahh
I forget the name of the condo high rise involved, but last fall, we toured round a condo unit on the island. Fantastic place. Great view, all the stuff you could want for it to be either a rental or a place to live in, full time. A beautiful apartment.

Price?

$400,000 for the 2 bedroom and more for the 3 bedroom designs. HoA fees were $700+ a month.

I note that all but the last two or three units are now sold and there were 20 or so unsold units back then.

The market for upscale condos is clearly there...
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:11 pm

PIER UPDATE

I went out to the Pier this morning and talked with an employee of the Pier. I asked him when was the food and beverage preparation equipment going to be in place in the concessions area. He said "I don't know."

I then asked him about the progress concerning the outside bar beverage equipment. He said "electricians will be working on the outside bar tomorrow." This seems to be good news.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?

Return to “Navarre Beach Fishing Pier - The Longest Pier In Florida ”