What is going on with the pier these days?

This is where you can find the Pier fishing reports, Pier photos of those huge fish, and other information. This is a beautiful place to walk along the Pier and shoot memory photos of the Pier and Navarre Beach. Bring your camera and post your Pier photos here!
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:23 pm

There are also a lot of owners upside down as well. Maybe there is a market for high rise condos, but that is not what makes Navarre Beach the appealing location that it currently is and always has been, at least not for me and many others. But if the powers to be decide to take that direction, and if (and it is a big if) the economy can sustain that growth and infrastructure build out, then so be it. It would be a game changer for me and a very sad day. Didn't mean to hijack the thread....hope the Pier is up and fully running before the Cobia are. 8)
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:40 am

The pier bar is suppose to open this afternoon.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:55 am

I am absolutely with you on this SouthernBreeze. A very sad day indeed. There is one thing that may be, "bankable".....that is, the economy. I believe one would have to be either extremely ignorant or even stupid or very misguided to even presume that under this present Administration this economy would in any way pick up. That aside from the wordly issues that seemingly negatively effect the stocks on a minute by minute basis. If they decide to build on Navarre Beach, the exact thing that happened to the southern dunes of the Destin Harbor will happen that is the building sits with no one in the buildings. If I am correct and I believe I am, Portofino is well over half empty and has been since they were built.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:58 am

I wish I were at the pier bar at this very moment! If I were single, I would be! Roadtrip!
Pete
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:34 am

Kind of an aside - but discovered that Navarre Pier is not the only one with a bar/restaurant closed for renovations.
Happened to run errands yesterday, to include P'cola Beach - and was going to have a bit of lunch at their pier restaurant - but it is also closed for renovation! Missing the spring breakers, but should be up for summer season?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:52 am

Certainly gotta believe that if one is to renovate, between sacrificing dollars during Spring Break or the Summer Vacation season, Spring Break is the, "no-brainer."
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:12 pm

The Pier Bar has been asked to close as per the Santa Rosa County Officials. Looks like they cannot have the bar opened until they have their restaurant opened to avoid any contract compliance issues. BTW the name of the bar is Lagerheads. This is per the Navarre Press.
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:35 pm

Navarre Press now stating that The Pier is being "advised" to close the bar until the restaurant is opened.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:33 pm

UPDATE: Pier management group advised to close bar
Navarre Press
By Romi White on April 9, 2014

The management group selected to operate the Navarre Beach Fishing Pier said Santa Rosa County officials advised them April 8 that they need to close the bar until the pier’s restaurant opens to avoid being out of compliance with their contract.

According to Santa Rosa County Public Information Officer Joy Tsubooka, “The county attorney and county administrator asked the pier operators to consider closing the bar until the restaurant was open so to avoid any contract compliance issues.” “The county attorney can’t tell them to close the bar, only the commissioners can do that,” she said.

The new bar at the pier, named Lagerheads, held a grand opening celebration March 15. They also opened temporarily Feb. 22 for the Mardi Gras parade on Navarre Beach.

Navarre restaurateur Bob Benaquis is responsible for opening and operating the restaurant at the pier. He told Navarre Press late last month that he expected the restaurant to open April 10.
------------------------------------------
Kenny Wilder Comments:
The delays of the opening of the restuarant have been talked about on this forum since early January. I think it should be obvious by now that the operators have a cash flow problem. In situations like this always follow the money or the lack thereof.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:53 pm

Where is the restaurant gonna be? And how extensive of a restaurant is this gonna be?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:10 pm

The restaurant will be in exactly the same location...inside. They have had 101 days to make this happen. Not really a lot of cooking equipment is required. I don't blame the County Commissioners giving an ultimatum to the new operators. They should have voiced their concerns in February. I know more about the situation but I'm holding back. Just follow the money or the lack thereof.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:25 am

Question, if anyone knows....when they do get the bar up and going (if they do) will this be a full bar or basically similar to the previous one....beer, wine and wine based alcohol drinks (which are terrible by the way). Hey, if you have to make a margarita with wine based alcohol....why make it! Dad always told me..."son, if you are going to do something, do it 100% or don't do it at all!"
David
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:26 am

Something the local mullet wrapper and and County seem to be not mentioning is that liquor licenses are controlled by the State.

Unless Florida laws have changed, which I do not believe they have, a restaurant beer and wine license, allowing on premise consumption, requires 51% of total sales to be of food (can include non-alcoholic drinks). The law also requires a seating capacity of 150 in Santa Rosa Co. as is required most of Florida.

The 51% in food sales is a requirement hard to achieve if restaurant is not in operation, Uh?

If hard liquor is served a separate quota license is required as well and they are limited by area of the State. Most restaurants will only serve beer and wine because of quota requirements and extra license fees.

Seems to me that the County should have been more diligent prior to signing contracts, being sure that new management was financially able to meet set deadlines of opening. I understand that one of the participants backed away after contract was awarded (maybe not finalized and signed) and that may, certainly, have affected liquidity.

I do know that prior management was not allowed access to the pier facilities until just before formal opening and found they did not even have adequate electricity for a restaurant yet they managed to get things going in short time, even supplying trash cans and benches for the pier out of their own pocket though they should have been supplied by County.
Last edited by David on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
David
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:33 am

The new bar is about 25% smaller than the old bar. Local TV said this morning that the pier will be closed until food service is in place.

You folks that trashed the previous pier operator...are you happy now?
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
David
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:55 am

Kenny,

Hope that means that only the bar and restaurant will be closed and not the entire pier.

The contract these folks have requires them to control the gate for fishing and walkers for which they receive no monies. Not having bar and restaurant in operation has got to put a strain on payroll required to do just that. Should we feel sorry for them?
David

Return to “Navarre Beach Fishing Pier - The Longest Pier In Florida ”