Jaws Caught at Navarre Beach - Possible World Record

This is where you can find the Pier fishing reports, Pier photos of those huge fish, and other information. This is a beautiful place to walk along the Pier and shoot memory photos of the Pier and Navarre Beach. Bring your camera and post your Pier photos here!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:56 pm

Mako shark caught in Gulf waters could break record

Milton man and cousin hook monster mako off Gulf Coast beach

Joey Polk fuels up his pickup hauling an 11-foot-long, 805-pound shortfin mako shark he and his cousin reeled in off a Gulf Coast beach Tuesday night. / West Calhoun/Special to the News Journal

Mako shark caught in Gulf waters could break record

Milton man and cousin hook monster mako off Gulf Coast beach

A Milton man and land-based shark fisherman said he believes he and his cousin may have reeled in their latest world record catch Tuesday night.

Earnie Polk, 43, said he and Joey Polk hooked an 11-foot, 805-pound shortfin mako shark off a Gulf Coast beach at about 10:30 p.m., and it took about an hour to bring the beast to shore.

“That’s probably the best fish we ever caught,” he said. “You’ll spend many, many hours to catch a fish of that caliber or a fish of that size.”

Polk said he did not want to disclose the exact location of the massive catch because he didn’t want to draw droves of fishermen to the spot or create a false fear of shark-infested waters. The shark was hooked several hundred yards from shore, he said.

Polk and his cousin didn’t intend to let anyone except friends and family know about the catch, but that changed Wednesday, thanks to social media. A photo taken by West Calhoun of Pensacola Beach of Joey gassing up his pickup truck at a local convenience store bearing the humongous mako hit Facebook and went viral.

Now all of this may all sound like a grand fish tale, but Polk and his cousin have the reputation to back up their claim. The two men hold a combined three world records from the International Land-Based Shark Fishing Association.

According to the association’s website, Polk snagged his first shortfin mako world record in 2009. That shark was measured at 11-foot-2 but only weighed 674 pounds.

In 2010, Polk became the world record holder for catching an 11-foot-9-inch tiger shark at an estimated weight of 928 pounds. Joey beat his cousin’s record a month later with a 12-foot-9-inch tiger shark, estimated at weighing 949 pounds.

Both tiger sharks were released.

Polk said he has submitted his latest catch’s weight and length to be considered as the newest shortfin mako world record holder by the International Land-Based Shark Fishing Association.

Of the hundreds of sharks the Polk cousins catch every year, Earnie Polk said this one was one of the few they didn’t release. After a vigorous fight on the way to shore, the creature was too exhausted to swim back out, he said.

Instead, Polk said he’s preparing the legal paperwork to harvest a member of the species for consumption. He estimated he’ll distribute about 600 pounds of shark meat to his family and friends.

“It’s a $10 per pound fish at the fish market. It sells right along with tuna and swordfish,” he said. “Between all of us, there won’t be a bit of it wasted.”

A misunderstood sport

Earnie Polk said he has followed the land-based shark fisherman’s code of ethics since he first went fishing with his dad and grandfather at age four or five. They were shark fishing on the old Navarre Beach pier then, but Earnie still follows the same guidelines today.

“We don’t do chumming whatsoever. We fish at night. We don’t fish on crowded beaches. We don’t fish anytime there are swimmers,” he said. “We don’t draw the fish to the beach. We just catch what swims by. The fishermen are there because the fish are there.”

Earnie said bait is put out between 300 and 600 yards offshore by kayak.

Of the more than 300 sharks he and his cousin caught in 2013, they kept fewer than 20. The rest were released, most were tagged for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Polk said he and his cousin partake in the Cooperative Shark Tagging Program to benefit the National Marine Fisheries Service.

“We get to participate in all the tagging research that’s done,” he said. “(Land-based shark fishing is) just a good pastime.”

SOURCE: Pensacola News Journal
http://www.pnj.com/article/20140417/NEW ... ck_check=1
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:09 am

GOOD GRIEF! I wonder how he managed to get the shark into the pick-up bed??? Now, that would have been a sight to behold!!

Was wondering what kind of shark --- the article in the PNJ says it's a Mako, 11 ft, 805 lbs. That's a whole lotta shark!

Well, so much for trying to keep it quiet, huh? How did he not think that hauling an 805 lb sea critter in a pickup truck wouldn't attract some attention??? ;)

:shock:
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:18 am

It has been confirmed this mako shark is a NEW WORLD RECORD!

Can you imagine the crowds now on Navarre Beach Fishing Pier and Pensacola Beach Pier?
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:29 am

Is this for real or are y'all yankin' our chain?
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:38 am

IT"S TRUE!

Check out the link below for yourself. Some are saying the mako shark may have been caught on the Navarre Beach Fishing Pier. This has not been confirmed yet.

SOURCE: Pensacola News Journal
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:59 am

I do hope they hold true to their word and harvest the fish.
David
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:21 pm

P'cola,
I do hope they hold true to their word and harvest the fish.
I do not believe anyone should be concerned. There is no doubt that the Mako he has harvested will be used as Ernie states it will. As Ernie also states, "fishing for shark is misunderstood by many".

Ernie has, and is, recognized as a valuable contributor to the continuing research and education about sharks. He is a honest, humble, and better steward of the Gulf than most of us will ever hope to be. The data he collects is used effectively for the shark's benefit. Ernie, probably, has forgotten more about sharks than most will ever learn.

For those that do not know, the Mako is one of the most edible of all sharks. In fact has been compared in taste to the valued swordfish and has been harvested commercially by the same long liners that fish for the swordfish, sometimes being sold and eaten as swordfish. Mako sells in most markets for more than most fish sell for.

Of concern to researchers is why the Mako, known to be a deep water shark, is beeing spotted and caught much closer to shore than it used to be. It used to be very, very rare to hear of one caught close to shore, most hanging with the swordfish in much deeper waters.
Last edited by David on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:30 pm

AngelGirl wrote:GOOD GRIEF! I wonder how he managed to get the shark into the pick-up bed??? Now, that would have been a sight to behold!!

Was wondering what kind of shark --- the article in the PNJ says it's a Mako, 11 ft, 805 lbs. That's a whole lotta shark!

Well, so much for trying to keep it quiet, huh? How did he not think that hauling an 805 lb sea critter in a pickup truck wouldn't attract some attention??? ;)

:shock:
A.G.
Wow, what a story! I agree.......would have loved seeing how they got the shark in the truck! :D

AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:40 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:I do hope they hold true to their word and harvest the fish.
Having lived in that community, I believe I can assure you that what the young man said will be what they do ... that is entirely consistent with the mores of the community. Folks there hold to the hunter/fisherman creed in that part of the world and believe "conservation is next to Godliness" and a sacred duty! :)

A.G.
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:32 pm

That is indeed good to hear and thanks for the confirmation David. I absolutely do not have an issue with anyone catching and utilizing sharks, including big ones. I just hate seeing the catching and killing of one for no reason. I have had Mako and it is quite good.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:04 pm

JAWS III?

Just a few hundred yards off Navarre Beach this 800+ lbs Mako Shark was reeled in Tuesday night … JAWS II filmed on Navarre Beach 'n '77 and now a REAL JAWS III may have been caught here on our beach! Hollywood here’s your opportunity to come to Navarre Beach again and film JAWS III.

Another Photo of JAWS captured Tuesday Night

Lots of folks are saying that the monster Mako Shark was caught at Navarre Beach, but I still have not been able to obtain 100% confirmation. The two fisherman from Milton about 25 miles north of Navarre are well known by the locals.

Dale and I attended a birthday party at the Waffle House about noon today for one of the servers that we have known for 15 years. Another server that we have known for 15 years when she was a high school student at Navarre High School said that she and many others received lots of steaks from this Mako Shark yesterday.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Pete
Power User
Power User

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:41 am

AngelGirl wrote: I wonder how he managed to get the shark into the pick-up bed???
Have read that a tow-truck was called (family/friend? - midnight-ish?), to move the shark from shore to pick-up truck?
Also, re-reading - was NOT caught from pier - but from shore, "...bait is put out between 300 and 600 yards offshore by kayak.".
From curiosity - pier is 1545 feet as built - but, by my measurement, about first 350 feet is over beach, leaving about 1,200 feet over water?
That would be 400-yards "off shore" - so shark caught approx. distance offshore as pier length?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:36 am

Pete wrote:
AngelGirl wrote: I wonder how he managed to get the shark into the pick-up bed???
Have read that a tow-truck was called (family/friend? - midnight-ish?), to move the shark from shore to pick-up truck?
Also, re-reading - was NOT caught from pier - but from shore, "...bait is put out between 300 and 600 yards offshore by kayak.".
From curiosity - pier is 1545 feet as built - but, by my measurement, about first 350 feet is over beach, leaving about 1,200 feet over water?
That would be 400-yards "off shore" - so shark caught approx. distance offshore as pier length?
Very interesting observation Pete.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:59 am

Pete is our MATH GUY! ;)

8)
AngelGirl

David
Power User
Power User

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Pete,

Great observation, length of pier would fall in the right footage. We have got to add more to the equation though.

Ernie uses regular kayaks from shore to drop bait but also uses his own, custom constructed, remote control craft to drop bait. That remote controlled craft, used from the end of a pier, adds a lot of yardage to the length before a bait is dropped.

You would want to avoid beginning a fight with a fish that large near a stable structure (pier). Many a much smaller fish is lost around and under a pier. A fish that size goes where he wants till worn down and will usually head toward structure or deep water You would drop bait as far away as feasible and probably from the end, not the side.

You are still the resident math guy. You always have that thinking cap on. :)

Return to “Navarre Beach Fishing Pier - The Longest Pier In Florida ”