Shining light on scams and other bad stuff!

Discussion for all stages of your career.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:40 am

A Viet Nam vet friend send this article ...

"At first glance, the National Vietnam Veterans Foundation is a roaring success. According to its tax filings, the charity has received more than $29 million in donations from generous Americans from 2010 to 2014 for what it calls on its website “aiding, supporting and benefiting America’s veterans and their families.”
But look a little closer on those same filings and you can see that nearly all of those donations have been cycled back to telemarketers, leaving less than 2 percent for actual veterans and veterans’ charitable causes.
That’s why Charity Navigator, one of the nation’s largest and most influential charity watchdog organizations, has given the charity a “zero” out of four stars for those same four years.
“It’s a zero-star organization and you can’t go lower than that,” says Michael Thatcher, Charity Navigator’s CEO. “They don’t have an independent board of directors, they actually don’t even have a comprehensive board of directors — only three members on the board at this point in time and some of them are family. So one can say, is this representative of an independent board? It’s not.”

Read more at: http://teapartypolitics.com/support-vet ... democrats/
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:46 am

I'm afraid there are all too many "charities" with great sounding names that mostly serve to employ family and friends.
(While should maybe be in "political" the Clinton foundation comes to mind - while better than 2% - seems it was that only about 20% of donations went to benefit others - while many employees with salaries in the in the $100K+ range, and lots of "admin", "travel", and "conferences" costs.)

Also, with all the political PAC (super-PAC) e-mail's I've been getting I wonder how many actually support who they say they support, and by how much?
Suggest going directly to candidate of choice website and donate - at least until up until having given the maximum allowed by law. Only then consider the PACs?
Last edited by Pete on Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:36 pm

Good advice, Pete. I agree!
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB

Return to “Veteran’s Issues”