new boat

Info about all types of boats, rentals, accessories and where to launch your boat.
keywester

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:35 am

need some advice.... 8) went to the ft. walton beach boat show looking for a ski/sports and some fishing boat for my family of 5. found almost the same model (185) in 2 name brands we liked. stingray or bayliner. any advice?

by the way, tex, silver and vicki.... these hold seven to nine, so when we go fishing we can bring cshells, beache, beachgirl, etc.... all the gang :lol:
silverwings
Power User
Power User

Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:37 pm

kayaks are cheaper we could tie them together so no one gets pulled out to sea. but if you get kyaks to tie together - make sure they are light.
keywester

Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:09 am

maybe i should move this to off topic. really need to get some advice.
silverwings
Power User
Power User

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:12 am

yes maybe move it to off topic - seems people don't come here much - honestly i know nothing about boats at all.
David
Power User
Power User

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:24 pm

Keywester,

Ya must have the boat fever pretty bad, Uh?? I didn't answer you yesterday because I wanted to be sure I had the right models in mind so not to be misleading. There are lots of boats out there and many models by Bayliner and Stingray as well.

Both the boats you refer to are meant as play boats (cruzing & ski). They may be fished from as any boat can but you may have noted that the gunnels (sides), transom, and bow are not built for fishing. You would have to use a very long handled net for a fair size fish and have a pretty strong wristed netter to hold that kind of weight on a long shaft net. A long handled gaff would take the load better but you would drag the fish on the boat to land and a lot of fish (out of slot or closed season) you do not want to gaff. I'm sure the salesmen would say both were great for fishing but they wanted to sell ya a boat.

Both the boats are good boats used for what they were intended. Both accomodate 5 people readily, more passengers make them crowded for a long cruze. Think of 5 people, all with rod in hand, casting and catching in a limited cockpit. If you want to fish a lot you should look at boats that draw less water, are easy to anchor, easy to add a trolling motor, easier to land fish, easy to walk from bow to stern with a fish on, etc.. There are center consoles that make good all around boats with plenty of them ideal for fishing and with the power, speed, and hull design to pull ski as well and they accomodate fishing rods much easier than cockpit types. They are also easier, according to type, size, and available seating, to carry a crowd. Remember, also, that you need cooler space for fish as well as all the canned stuff. :wink: You might also look at something with a live well.

Personally I would look at some of the Boston Whaler craft or those with similar design that will accomodate fishing and play. Remember, also, that all boats are holes in the water into which you throw money. Pick one that requires less time and effort to clean and keep up and definitely one that is intended for saltwater. Do the same for the trailer. Think of things like cushions that double as life preservers as well as seats and replace much easier and cheaper then built in padding with all the cleaning (and mold) problems, especially after fishing. If you have padded seats that are not preservers you still have to have the preservers and a place to keep them along with all other safety equipment which might not leave room for tackle storage.

Bottom line is that you must decide where your interest lie, time and money ya want to spend, how long you intend to keep, and buy accordingly. Take the time and decide well. Boats are like cars, tough to take back if you find the first trip dissappointing.

HAVE FUN!!!
David
David
Power User
Power User

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:33 pm

Silverwings.

I know you were kidding but if ya tie light kayaks together they actually present a bigger wind profile and likely would (with a good stiff North wind) blow ya to sea much quicker than a lone kayak, especially when ya consider how to double paddle back toward the North when tied together.

Do ya think that maybe the time of the year has a little to do with the number of post in the topic. Makes sense that boating, etc. would be just a little slower in the winter, not quite as much to comment about, uh?? :)
David
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:29 pm

Boston Whaler 220 Dauntless is the best boat and safest boat made

I bought my Boston Whaler about four years ago and love it. I bought the Model 220 from Max-Marine in Pensacola. The Model 220 is a 22 ½ foot bay boat with only a 12 inch draft. I like it for fishing in the bays and the Sound and pleasure riding. Passenger capacity is about 9 adults. Boston Whaler is the only boat I would ever buy mainly because of its safety features. I had a few friends kid me after I bought my Boston Whaler that said I could have bought two new boats for the same price as my Boston Whaler. I told them the only problem is that I would always know that they were not a Boston Whaler.

You might want to check out the Boston Whaler sea going boats too. The Pensacola Boston Whaler dealer is MarineMax. Their contact info is as follows:

MarineMax
Phone: 850-477-1112
84 W. Airport Blvd., Pensacola, FL 32503

Dauntless 220 Specifications Link:
http://www.whaler.com/Rec/default.asp?c ... =Dauntless

My Boston Whaler Daunless 220
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
David
Power User
Power User

Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:25 pm

Keywester,-

Hey, who said Kenny was not opinionated??

Kidding aside, Kenny's choice of a Boston Whaler is what I spoke of. As he said it is one of, if not the safest brand on the water. Their ads used to show the boat cut in half and still afloat. There are those that imitate but the Whaler is tops. Even though it costs more than some boats of it's same size, etc., the over-time costs in upkeep is less. It maintains a better resale value than most. It will take a beating and come out with a smile and it cleans much easier than most. You can also get all kinds of assesory packages for fishing and sking. Kenny's model comes in smaller lengths as well. I would probably pick the 18' but the length that Kenny has could be taken out to the Gulf on days that I would not take the 18'.

Look at the whaler and others of it's type and versatility before you make up your mind.
David
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:46 pm

Looks like a great boat, Kenny.

We're also shopping for a boat ... considered a deck boat, Chapparell? Have to have something with a porta-potty. Can't spend all day out on a boat and not have one, huh?

We've also seen some pontoon boats up here on the Bay that travel very fast.

EBB

PS - Is a Boston Whaler in the same price range as the Chapparell?
keywester

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:17 am

wow :shock: lots to think about. 8) this is just what i needed. thanks.... kenny, is that you and your wife?

Return to “Boats: Sailing, Motor Boating & Jet Ski Boating”