university of Texas Drug Testing

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:17 pm

Just an example of what Charlie Strong is all about and how lackadaisical Mack Brown had allowed things to become at UT. If the powers to be at Texas - and remember, the University of Texas has more funding via donations from boosters and alumni than any other school in this country and by a long shot including the Alabama's and Michigans and Ohio States of the world - allow Charlie Strong to do things his way, in a year or two, as soon as some of these athletes presently and those willing to commit to UT buy into his system vs. they way "they" want to do it, UT will be a force to reckon with. He is a good coach and a good man and wants nothing but the very best, first and foremost for the kids and then the school.

Longhorns step up drug testing in '14
Updated: September 25, 2014, 2:56 PM ET
By Max Olson | ESPN.com

Strong Criticism

Paul Finebaum discusses Kirk Herbstreit's comments about Charlie Strong being evaluated as Texas head coach too quickly after kicking several players off the team and stepping up the program's drug testing.
Tags: NCF, Texas Longhorns

Strong Kicks 9th Player Off Team

AUSTIN, Texas -- Drug testing of Texas players under first-year coach Charlie Strong is on pace to double last year's testing efforts, according to a report by the Austin American-Statesman.

Data obtained by the Statesman indicates that a total of 188 drug tests have been administered in the first eight months of Strong's tenure. From 2010 to 2013, Texas administered an average of 104 drug tests per year under former coach Mack Brown.

Strong has dismissed nine players from his program since taking over in January and currently has two more players suspended from the team for undisclosed rules violations.

According to data the newspaper acquired through an open records request, Texas drug tested every player after spring break in March. Players who were considered at-risk were then subject to more frequent testing.

A total of 18 Longhorns players were tested again April 11, and 15 were tested July 19 during summer conditioning. Five days after that round of testing, three Texas players -- running backs Joe Bergeron and Jalen Overstreet and defensive back Chevoski Collins -- were dismissed from the program for violating team rules. Three more players were suspended indefinitely. Texas continued to drug test during fall practice -- two tests Aug. 11, seven Aug. 22 -- and seven tests were administered the day before the Longhorns' season-opening win over North Texas.

Shortly after the final preseason drug test, Strong suspended starting linemen Desmond Harrison and Kennedy Estelle indefinitely and kicked backup linebacker Deoundrei Davis off the team. Estelle was dismissed from the program Tuesday after another rules violation.

"You have 95 percent that's doing it right, and then you just have that small faction of guys that feel like this is the way they're going to do it whether I like it or not," Strong said Tuesday. "I just tell them that there's always other teams out there, but this isn't the school for them. You can think about it: The University of Texas, great academics, great athletics, what more could ask for?"

The data obtained by the Statesman does not indicate how many players tested positive for drugs. Texas' student-athlete handbook for 2014-15 says that players are subject to a suspension for 10 percent of their season and counseling upon a second positive test. A third positive test would require a half-season suspension along with counseling, and the punishment for a fourth positive test is dismissal.

Texas has now spent $8,755 on drug testing this year, according to the report, after spending approximately $5,100 to $6,600 on the practice in the past four years.

When asked Tuesday if he expected to have to mete out this much discipline when he took the Texas job, Strong said, "I would say this: I followed an unbelievable head coach and there's nothing here that's nowhere else."

Max Olson | email
Big 12 reporter
FollowArchive
Covers the Big 12
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:19 pm

On that note....I wonder what the results would be if this amount of drug testing was performed on the top 15 teams in the country TODAY? I firmly believe that it would shock most people and I don't see the top 15 head coaches jumping at the opportunity to check it out either!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Razorback

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:34 pm

Going back to the SWC days it would be natural for me to NEVER want Texas to be good but I am a fan of Charlie Strong. After all, he is an Arkansas native. That being said, do you think the power brokers and the movers and shakers that make up the financial support at UT will buy into his way? On the outside looking in, it just doesn't seem like he is a good fit for them. After all he was far from their first few choices if you believe the pundits. If he cannot get the fans behind him then I am not sure he can get the players to buy in. And you are correct. We would all be shocked if a honest crackdown on drugs was done on all the programs.
Love Navarre Beach
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:43 pm

Razorback, I just listened to a report by Paul Finebaum (I am not sure how this dude got that gig) that disputed what Kirk Hirbstreit said about, "give the guy more than 4 weeks!" It is Finebaum's assertion that Charlie Strong is NOT a good fit for Texas because in this words..."he is not a back slapper!" Charlie Strong is NOT the person to kiss ass to the 15-20 people at UT who think they have a place at the decision making table (as Finebaum put it). Mack Brown was that type of person.

I don't know? As I stated, UT has a boat load of cash coming in there every single year. Beats the pants off of every body else by a country mile. Charlie Strong does not seem to me to be a political player. Unless he produces next year or at the very least, the supporters start seeing drastic improvement, I don't see him making it there.

I am with you....I detest UT fans, despise them. I despise their arrogance and conceit. However, I do believe they have been humbled the past couple of years and that has helped to squelch the, "nose in the air" mentality. However, I would like nothing more than to see a good guy, with good solid principles and the ability to motivate players, do it the right way and win. If he did and they keep their mouths shut and learn how to win and lose like a winner, I would root for them again.

Return to “Sports”