Update(s) About the 2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun May 01, 2016 10:16 am

bjrichus wrote:
Kenny Wilder wrote:The Project should be moving east about 500 feet per Day.
East? Don't you mean west? Towards Pensacola? 8)
EAST! Please read my posts above. Also, the Live HD 1080 Cam will show you that the Project is moving EAST.

Access to the beach may be granted to Beach Colony today.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Sun May 01, 2016 10:33 am

Kenny Wilder wrote:
bjrichus wrote:
Kenny Wilder wrote:The Project should be moving east about 500 feet per Day.
East? Don't you mean west? Towards Pensacola? 8)
EAST! Please read my posts above. Also, the Live HD 1080 Cam will show you that the Project is moving EAST.

Access to the beach may be granted to Beach Colony today.
Oh yes, I see it now. I missed the bit where they are doing the area around the pier first and then restarting to go back west, once the main tourist area is completed.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun May 01, 2016 6:17 pm

UPDATE

3RD DAY OF THE NAVARRE BEACH RENOURISHMENT PROJECT

The first Dredge, BE Linholm arrived last Friday and continues pumping sand onto Navarre Beach. Friday’s new sand renourishment added 340 feet wide to the beach in about 15 hours. The work time is now 24/7 (day and night). You can follow the beach renourishment project day and night by going to my link the Navarre Beach Live HD 1080 Cam: http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/live-hd-1080-zoom-cam

The second Dredge, RN Weeks is in route after leaving St. Petersburg today. The estimated arrival time at Navarre Beach is in the morning, Monday, May 2. I have the online real-time tracking info for the RN Weeks, so I can follow its voyage location as it sails in the Gulf north towards Navarre Beach. The Project is estimated to complete 500 feet per 24 hours, so having the BE Linholm and the RN Weeks both distributing new sand should result in a much faster pace.
Today's Photos
D3S7297.jpg
D3S7297.jpg (558.42 KiB) Viewed 5915 times
D3S7281.jpg
D3S7281.jpg (657.55 KiB) Viewed 5915 times
D3S7289.jpg
D3S7289.jpg (678.6 KiB) Viewed 5915 times
Photos by Kenny Wilder
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
KimB

Mon May 02, 2016 8:11 am

Thank you for providing such thorough updates! We've got a front row seat to this fascinating project this week - it's been very interesting watching the process! Looking forward to searching for some shells hopefully today...looks liken they're working on the walkover 'ramps' in front of Beach Colony!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (360.57 KiB) Viewed 5880 times
ra1049

Mon May 02, 2016 9:56 am

Will the large pipes stay after they complete each section? or do they remove the pipes as they finish each segment?

We are staying close to Beach Colony later this month and am wondering if all the pipes will remain even after they finish that segment of the beach.

Thanks Kenny,
Ricky
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon May 02, 2016 4:06 pm

KimB wrote:Thank you for providing such thorough updates! We've got a front row seat to this fascinating project this week - it's been very interesting watching the process! Looking forward to searching for some shells hopefully today...looks liken they're working on the walkover 'ramps' in front of Beach Colony!
Once the Project moves east towards the end of the beach the pipes will be removed. However, then the Project will come back to the west tower of the Beach Colony and start the Project again and move west towards the end of Navarre Beach's boundary with the Gulf Island National Seashore.

Even if the 36 inch in diameter pipes are still in place temporary there will be a wide sand ramp over the pipes for beach access in areas that are still within 1,000 feet of the construction site.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon May 02, 2016 5:06 pm

BREAKING NEWS

The dredge RN Weeks arrived at Navarre Beach about 30 minutes ago with its first load of sand from 4 miles offshore, and the sand is currently being pumped onto the beach, and distributed by bull-dozers. So now we have both the dredge BE Linholm and the dredge RN Weeks working together 24/7. According to my project contact that is the Engineer of Record for Construction told me a few minutes ago that the Project should add about 500 feet of new sand every 24 hours.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Pete
Power User
Power User

Tue May 03, 2016 8:59 am

Any idea why the "cut" is left in the berm/dune in front of Lagerhead's (just east of pier)?
Assume it is access for vehicles?
Seems it would be a really "weak" point if we do have a big storm surge?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue May 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Yes, ongoing access for heavy equipment, first responders and of course the sea turtle ladies. These folks have to have access to the beach.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
marko

Thu May 05, 2016 1:10 pm

It does not appear to me they are any where close to 500 feet a day.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Thu May 05, 2016 1:30 pm

marko wrote:It does not appear to me they are any where close to 500 feet a day.
Do remember that the foreshortening effect of the angle and the lens focal length used on Kenny's camera can be very deceptive. Other videos and pictures online do show (especially this mornings crop of stuff) significant progress out to the east of the pier.

As to "500' per day" well, I suppose some days that's optimistic what with weather, any new equipment issues, re-location of pipes etc. but it certainly does look like some significant progress is being made.

I think as with any civil engineering project, its always better to prefix speed and time estimates with "up to" or "about" or "approximately". With that said, they are still making decent progress.
ALPHARETTA60

Thu May 05, 2016 1:47 pm

Any idea how long it will take to get to the end of the park and start working west from Beach Colony?? Booked at Sugar Beach the week of May 21st......Thanks
I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Thu May 05, 2016 1:53 pm

ALPHARETTA60 wrote:Any idea how long it will take to get to the end of the park and start working west from Beach Colony?? Booked at Sugar Beach the week of May 21st......Thanks
My wife is at Sugar Beach as of tomorrow (Thursday) for a week. We know someone who is a full time resident there and they are having a "girls-long-weekend" .... I'm keeping clear!!!! 8)

From looking at the photos, they will probably have finished on the eastern section in a week to maybe 10 days and then start moving out past Sugar Beach the week before you get there (all approx of course). If there are a few bad days it might slip into that week... Who can tell?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu May 05, 2016 2:20 pm

bjrichus wrote:
marko wrote:It does not appear to me they are any where close to 500 feet a day.
Do remember that the foreshortening effect of the angle and the lens focal length used on Kenny's camera can be very deceptive. Other videos and pictures online do show (especially this mornings crop of stuff) significant progress out to the east of the pier.

As to "500' per day" well, I suppose some days that's optimistic what with weather, any new equipment issues, re-location of pipes etc. but it certainly does look like some significant progress is being made.

I think as with any civil engineering project, its always better to prefix speed and time estimates with "up to" or "about" or "approximately". With that said, they are still making decent progress.
On my May 1 post of this thread I said the following:

“The Project is estimated to complete 500 feet per 24 hours, so having the BE Linholm and the RN Weeks both distributing new sand should result in a much faster pace.”

Please note that there are a lot of factors that contribute to the pace of the Project. That’s why I use descriptive words such as estimate, estimated, approximate, approximately, should, could and may. This “estimated to complete 500 feet per 24 hours” was based upon the RN Weeks arrival, which did not happen until the afternoon of May 3 (2 days ago). Now that both BE Linholm and the RN Weeks are contributing to the Project the pace has really picked up big-time.

Actually, it appears to me after visiting the Beach Renourisment Project yesterday and again this morning that the new sand being pumped onto the beach may very well exceed the “estimated 500 feet per 24 hours. Weeks Marine (Contractor) is knocking this Project out of the park.

Brian, you are correct in your assessment that the Navarre Beach Live HD 1080 Cam “can be very deceptive” with the lens focal point. Mainly because the Cam is 0.9 mile from the Pier and 0.7 mile from where the Project started last Friday (6 days ago) at approximately the west tower of the Beach Colony condo with the dredge BE Linholm.

My estimated UPDATES come directly from the Project Engineer by either phone, email or text message. I have had a great relationship with these engineers for 10 years.

I will post some photos from yesterday and this morning to illustrate the fantastic progress regarding this Project.

Pray for continued good weather so that the Project can stay on pace.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu May 05, 2016 2:52 pm

bjrichus wrote:
ALPHARETTA60 wrote:Any idea how long it will take to get to the end of the park and start working west from Beach Colony?? Booked at Sugar Beach the week of May 21st......Thanks
My wife is at Sugar Beach as of tomorrow (Thursday) for a week. We know someone who is a full time resident there and they are having a "girls-long-weekend" .... I'm keeping clear!!!! 8)

From looking at the photos, they will probably have finished on the eastern section in a week to maybe 10 days and then start moving out past Sugar Beach the week before you get there (all approx of course). If there are a few bad days it might slip into that week... Who can tell?
IMPORTANT UPDATE

I just called Drew Condon, the Engineer of Record for Construction for the Renourishment Project that is onsite daily. Drew said that he agrees with my assessment that the Project might now exceed the “estimated 500 feet per day” with both the BE Linholm and the RN Weeks in the dredge operation.

Drew said “The Project is now moving at an approximate 700 to 800 feet per 24 hours. But, that once the Project moves to the westward last 2 miles of the beach with mostly beach houses, the Project may be less than 500 feet per 24 hours, because this area has received so much sand erosion from storm surge over the past 10 years.”

Drew also said “The very eastern end of the Navarre Beach Marine Park could be completed by Sunday May 8 or Monday morning May 9."

The above comments are based upon approximate or estimate predictions.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”