Update(s) About the 2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu May 05, 2016 7:15 pm

Navarre Beach Renourishment Project This Morning

From the Navarre Beach Fishing Pier Looking West

Beach access has now been granted from the Navarre Beach Fishing Pier eastward to the Beach Colony condos.
D3S7356.jpg
D3S7356.jpg (689.93 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
D3X3502.jpg
D3X3502.jpg (701.49 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
D3X3480.jpg
D3X3480.jpg (606.72 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
Photos by Kenny Wilder
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat May 07, 2016 5:35 am

[video][/video]

Navarre Beach Renourishment Project
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
KimB

Mon May 09, 2016 12:25 pm

Ha! I'm one of the three ladies walking the pier at the beginning of your video (black shirt) - that's kind of cool! Also, this was a really great bird's eye view of the project. And I love the song that you selected to go along with it.

We're home now, and I'm looking through all the photos I took. I know a lot of folks on travel sites were bemoaning the project taking place during their vacations (the absolute nerve! *groan*) but I have to say it was fascinating to watch, and I am happy I was able to experience it...it didn't hamper our plans in the least, and I was able to get some really neat pictures. And I appreciated being able to check in here for updates :)

Thanks for all the info, and I'll be watching from Northern Indiana!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon May 09, 2016 1:00 pm

D3X3473.jpg
D3X3473.jpg (846.77 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
Photo by Kenny Wilder ~ Photo Shot East of the Navarre Beach Fishing Pier

UPDATE

I just received a text message from the head engineer of the Renourishment Projecr. The estimated time for completion of the very eastern end of the beach should be sometime in the Morning (Tuesday). Most of tomorrow the large pipes and equipment will be moving back to the west tower at Beach Colony. If all this happens accordingly the Project on Wednesday will start pumping sand again that will be moving to the west towards the end of the beach.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
asilloghome

Mon May 09, 2016 6:06 pm

I'm at The Pearl this week. The beach chair guy just said for the next 3 days the beach in front of Beach Colony, The Pearl and Carribean Resort will be closed for the renourishment. The public beaches on either side will be open. It's fascinating to watch this process.
Last night there was a beach wedding. I'm pretty sure this renourishment was not part of their planning.
The dozers were fixing a busted pipe right in front of beach colony. During the ceremony the dozers stopped. People on the balconies were cheering and the groom dunked the bride in the gulf afterward. The large ship just offshore really added to the scene. That couple will have a unique wedding story for years to come.

If I can figure out how to post a photo, I will add it.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (531.4 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (480.02 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
darondyer

Mon May 09, 2016 10:58 pm

Kenny,
I'm staying at Sugar Beach. Is the beach here going to be closed? If so, any Idea how long?
I have been coming to Navarre for many years and love it here. I have no problem with this restoration. It needs to be done.
Thanks
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Tue May 10, 2016 6:46 am

darondyer wrote:Kenny,
I'm staying at Sugar Beach. Is the beach here going to be closed? If so, any Idea how long?
I have been coming to Navarre for many years and love it here. I have no problem with this restoration. It needs to be done.
Thanks
Darondyer,

My wife is staying at Sugar Beach with some of her girl-friends until Wednesday this week (lucky girl) while I am at home and at work!!! :cry: We have some friends who are full time residents there and next door at the Beach View Condos.

The plan she got from the people there on site is the same as Kenny did (see above).

Today or Wednesday (I have yet to look at the zoom camera) the workers will move the pipes (assuming they finish going as far to the east as they plan) from the other end of the beach to the west end of the extended beach and work past the Sugar Beach area. Should take a day more to get there and then a day or two to get past it and on out to the other side of the new hotel.

Assume two or three days of beach closures in that area. There will be a sand walk over to get over any pipes on the beach once they move onto the west but you may have to walk a section over to the east to actually get onto the beach while the Sugar Beach/Beach View walk over is closed for the actual "renourishing" work itself. I did ask her to take lots of photos of the work, but my wife tends to chop heads off even a close up of people, so I doubt if I'll get much out of that request! :lol:

If you are worried about noise (especially at night - they work 24 hours a day), unless you are in the 3 story houses at the south end of complex that face the Gulf, you won't hear all that much.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
asilloghome

Tue May 10, 2016 7:33 am

Brian regarding the noise, it was extremely loud Sunday night as they repaired a busted pipe in front of Beach Colony. They use the dozers to ram the pipes together. Metal on metal banging for long periods of time. I enjoyed watching the process but the noise was terrible and went on for hours after dark. I'm on the fifth floor at a complex next door to where the work was happening.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Tue May 10, 2016 8:53 am

asilloghome wrote:Brian regarding the noise, it was extremely loud Sunday night as they repaired a busted pipe in front of Beach Colony. They use the dozers to ram the pipes together. Metal on metal banging for long periods of time. I enjoyed watching the process but the noise was terrible and went on for hours after dark. I'm on the fifth floor at a complex next door to where the work was happening.
Well, I guess being right on top of the work means you will get to hear it then.

Remember also that loud for some people is quiet for others (not at all meant to insult) but we are just all different in.these matters.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue May 10, 2016 12:45 pm

NAVARRE BEACH RENOURISHMENT UPDATE

I called the head engineer/contractor this morning for an update regarding the Beach Renourishment Project. He says that the Project slowed down last night and this morning because of rough seas. The dredge BE Linholm has gone to a port, I believe in Pensacola for refueling. Once the dredge BE Linholm is back at the Project it will join the dredge RN Weeks.

He says that the Project’s estimated time to complete the Renourishment at the very eastern end of the Navarre Beach Marine Park should happen late tonight, and that the moving of the large pipes could begin tomorrow (Wednesday). The pipes will be moved to the original start of the Project at the west tower of the Beach Colony condo and start its journey of Renourishment westward until it reaches the western boundary of Navarre Beach, that borders the Gulf Islands National Seashore.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed May 11, 2016 11:41 am

20160511_11-34-25.jpg
20160511_11-34-25.jpg (184.88 KiB) Viewed 2945 times
NAVARRE BEACH RENOURISHMENT UPDATE

Snapshot this morning 11:34 AM from the Navarre Beach Live HD 1080 Zoom Cam. You can watch the Live Cam taking up the large pipes at the eastern end of the beach. Go to my website: http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/live-hd-1080-zoom-cam/
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
asilloghome

Wed May 11, 2016 12:49 pm

They have arrived in front of The Pearl! Watching them stake off and close the beach.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 2935 times
asilloghome

Wed May 11, 2016 1:54 pm

First water just began flowing after they turned the pipe around to face Pensacola.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 2927 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 2927 times
asilloghome

Wed May 11, 2016 1:57 pm

The Birds arrived looking for food.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (604.86 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (785.87 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed May 11, 2016 3:23 pm

D3S7405.jpg
D3S7405.jpg (952.62 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
Photo by Kenny Wilder

Navarre Beach Renourishment Project Update

First Load of sand just started pumping minutes ago on the beach west of Beach Colony.

The Beach sand Renourishment east of the Pier has been completed. Vegetation including new sea oats will be planted soon. The Project today moved west of the Pier back to First Load of sand just started pumping on the beach west of Beach Colony.the original starting point a few feet past the west tower at Beach Colony. My photo was shot today from the west tower Beach Colony walkover. The Renourishment will now move west until it completes the Project at the Navarre Beach west boundary adjacent to the Gulf Islands National Seashore. You can watch the Renourishment Project 24/7 on my Navarre Beach Live HD 1080 Zoom Cam. Go to: http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/live-hd-1080-zoom-cam/
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”