Why no Navarre Press reports on high rise condo rezoning?

This forum is where you find information about the Navarre Beach Master Plan. You can discuss here the pros and cons of changing the Navarre Beach Master Plan.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Thu May 24, 2007 9:51 pm

NavarreBreeze ... Maybe it's because Johnny Angel has been on vacation. I think they should be back soon. I'm sure he would have something to say about it. Just a thought.

EBB
lstanley

Mon May 28, 2007 4:11 pm

I live in Holley by the Sea and I can only say I am not impressed with their reporting techniques. They are not an unbiased newspaper.

lstanley
Beach Angel

Mon May 28, 2007 7:44 pm

I have been posting over at the PNJ forum for about 5 years under another user name. This is my first post on the NBL forum. I read the comments on this forum everyday and I’m impressed with what I see. It is not my attention to offend any member of this forum on what I am about to say.

Please don’t believe the hogwash that the Navarre Press has not been able to print this story, because certain people have been on vacation for the past 3 or 4 weeks. The Navarre Press not reporting what should be the biggest story of the year is actually consistent with their past.

In the spring of 2006 the beach restoration project did not start in February as promised by the County. Remember the hundreds of e-mails that were sent to County Commissioners, state representatives and the Governor? Also, several forums joined the effort. These e-mails and forum comments by hundreds of people were an attempt to get the County to get off their butts and force the contractor to start the beach restoration as promised. The Navarre Press printed an editorial in their paper last year that said that these e-mails were counterproductive to the efforts of the County. The paper said that the people needed to just let the County do their job without interference.

The e-mail efforts by hundreds of people worked. The beach restoration began about a month earlier than the contractor predicted. The Navarre Press never printed a retraction. As a matter of fact a later edition of the paper stated that they stood by their position.

Now you know why the Navarre Press has refused to print this rezoning story. It is consistent from what happened last year. By printing this story it keeps a lot of people from hearing about the rezoning issue and what it is all about. If the people hear about it they might voice their outrage of another proposed high rise. Have you noticed that the Navarre Press has not defended it self on this forum about this rezoning issue?

So when will the Navarre Press print the story? They will print the story after the Commissioner’s meeting open to the public on May 31. It will be interesting to see what the paper has to say about the Commissioner’s decision regarding the rezoning issue.
JohnnyAngel

Tue May 29, 2007 3:04 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am back from vaction. I was gone from May 7 to late on the 24th. I saw Kenny on the 25th and said I would do a story on the re-zoning.

I usually cover the beach issues but while I was away Ken Garner covered the meeting. He has already done an article and it will be in this week's paper. Ken attended the rezoning meeting and that's what his article is about. Since Ken Garner has already done a story I will not be doing one. However, that doesn't rule out a follow-up story.

There was no hidden agenda here by the paper about advertisers or anything else. I have read Ken's upcoming article and it covers only the meeting and what was said from both sides.

Ken will also be covering the commissioner's meeting when the appeal wil be heard.

Each week we have a meeting where stories are assigned. We all bring in story ideas. I have never been told to not do a story that I suggested. The paper has never told me which side I should take, just report it as fairly as possible.

If you have a story idea, send me a private message and we can talk about it.
© 2009 Copyright – Photo by John Richardson
JohnnyAngel

Tue May 29, 2007 3:14 pm

Just one other point that many of you may not know. There are only 2 full time writers on the paper (Ken Garner and Geoff Watts). Ken goes to all the public meetings including fire dept, bd of educ, commissioners, water bd, zoning, etc.

If you see Joe Culpepper's name in print he is the editor. Sometimes there is so much to write he has to do some of that too.

Geoff has been with the aper for about 5 weeks. I only work there part time but I usually do 7 or 8 articles a week. While I was gone these guys had a lot of extra work to do. I'm sure that's why Ken couldn't get the article in sooner.

We recently hire a stringer (Michael Brewer) who has been there about 3 weeks.

If the article was a week late that is why.
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Tue May 29, 2007 5:15 pm

JohnnyAngel,

Welcome back! :D See how much they missed ya. 8)

Navarrian
JohnnyAngel

Tue May 29, 2007 5:39 pm

Navarrian,
Glad to see you are using the best sunset photo I saw last year as your avatar.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue May 29, 2007 6:16 pm

JohnnyAngel,

Thanks for the explanation. It certainly makes sense to me. I’m really glad that the Navarre Press is printing the story about the rezoning application for High-Density, which is really a high rise condo rezoning application. I think it would be good for the Navarre Beach community if the Navarre Press printed both sides of this very important and controversial issue.

Update on the rezoning application

The Santa Rosa County Commissioners will be present in Milton on May 31 (two days from today) for a Public Meeting at 6:00 p.m. The Commissioners will decide if beach homes and vacant lots can have their zoning changed from Low-Density to High-Density.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Wide_Glide

Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:52 am

lstanley wrote:I live in Holley by the Sea and I can only say I am not impressed with their reporting techniques. They are not an unbiased newspaper.

lstanley
Amen
The Navarre Press is a joke. A waste of paper and hazard to the enviroment. Most biased reporting I have ever read. If they can benefit they will take your side and not report the facts. The HBTS issue was proof of that. I wish they would quit wasteing even more paper with their free issues they mail out. A lame attempt to boost sales.
mckinleywrites

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:00 pm

Ironically enough, I've been assigned a story on Summer Place for this week's issue. I'm new to the forum, to Navarre and Navarre Press. But I do already have the pleasure of calling Dave Navarre and Johnny Angel my friends. :)

Just a note regarding the paper's lack of coverage on Summer Place --- We're picking it up again. It's not about money or threats to our advertising (at least not that I can tell, that side of the business is COMPLETELY seperate). It's a lack of resources, really. We're all very slammed with all kinds of news these days and there's only so much we can cover each week. We're playing catch-up.

I completely agree with the assessment that this issue has the power to change the face of the beach forever. But I am completely impartial to it and hope to remain so. Faithful readers, keep reading! And give me your ideas for new stories. I am taking a personal interest in what everyone in the community wants to know. Johnny Angel has too. :)

I hope I will be welcome to this forum. Everyone here has been so nice to me and I can't wait to meet some of you in the not-to-distant future.

My best to all,
Michael Brewer
Mckinleywrites
New to Navarre & Loving It!
WhiteSandsGirl

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:58 pm

Michael,

Welcome to the forum!

It was great meeting you (I was with Johnny Angel) at the Navarre Press the other day.

You will definitely have to come to the next forum party.

Sue Schwartz
Wide_Glide

Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:59 pm

Micheal,
Welcome to Navarre. I hope you can keep your opinions out of your reporting and remain unbiased. Wish you well at the paper and hope you don't become the next victim. There is a long list of them.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:36 pm

Wide_Glide - That wasn't a very nice comment to Michael. Gee whiz, ... it's nice to welcome someone, but in the next breath you're warning him that he might not be here long. If you read back into the thread, he's been here for a couple of months and doing well so far. Let's keep the nasty remarks down, ok?

EBB
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.

Return to “Navarre Beach Master Plan”