The Navarre Beach Master Plan was changed last night

This forum is where you find information about the Navarre Beach Master Plan. You can discuss here the pros and cons of changing the Navarre Beach Master Plan.
silverwings
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:04 pm

can we not attack each other.

ok - the beach is a national treasure - i have often said this - it is also national land.

perhaps a study of what is involved when a national park is involved can be studied.

it does not help one bit that to this day navarre is neither a town, village or city - but even if it was - would they have the right to decide to develop a national park - how this has happened is beyond me.

is anyone familiar with laws pertaining to a national park?
David
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:22 pm

Infoman,

As my Dad used to say, "You are like the pan calling the kettle black" and how in the world did you define Repulicans and Democrats or Liberals and Conservatives out of P'kid's response? Maybe that is the arguement you enjoy or want to turn everything in to. I saw your response, in itself, to be slanderous in content. Hope you can have a better day.
David
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:08 pm

What a putz.
Sounds like sour grapes to me. Either way, Navarre Beach is definitely a little bit better place with you GONE.
ciao -
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:44 am

Hey Doodah, CausewayFisherman & Dave:

Thanks for the support but I care not what this infoman person says. He/she means nothing and has nothing to offer or add to this forum. I will sleep perfectly well this evening and I stand firmly behind my statements concerning the Commissioners in question. They sold out plain and simple! My statement concerning "how much they were paid or bribed", was in fact, rhetorical first and a personal jab if you will, toward again, putting MONEY ahead of everything, second!! However, it would not surprise me in the least if something did not change hands under, over or around the table. That is the way the property business works now in the Panhandle! It does in Destin!!! Gots to get the piece of the pie and who cares what it does to the island, right! Again, those commissioners and this Golden person make me sick. Hope they choke on the money/tax dollars!!
Last edited by PensacolaKid on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MurrayD

Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:39 pm

Let him build his condo and it will sit empty just like the Mainland condos near Winn Dixie. As well as other failed condo projects (Hwy 98 near the Primary School, The Boardwalk, and the land near the Post Office). I dont see condos there!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:30 pm

MurryD,

I do not know how familiar you are with the Destin area or the Destin Harbor but 25-28 years ago, one could eat at any one of the restaurants that sit directly north and on top of the Harbor (really anywhere from the now, Lucky Snapper to just east of Harbor Docks) and gaze out toward the gulf and see nothing but sand dunes, sea oats and water. It was absolutely one of THE most beautiful sights this country had to offer. Well, these greedy bastards that do not even live there, decided to start building on that part of the island. Again, representatives of Destin "sold out" for the buck. Well, for the better part of the 80's and into the 90's, the vast majority of the hundreds of units literally sat empty for all those years. Naturally, they had already destroyed the island, the view and disrupted the wildlife...for what....an ugly highrise building. Now when one eats or has a drink at any one of those places, you don't see anything but multi-million dollar houses and condos...steel, glass and concrete. A very sad commentary indeed. And, Destin is just about 2-4 years from really being destroyed. That precise plan and the very same people or type of people now have Navarre in their sights.
MurrayD

Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:42 pm

Hey Kid...

I have lived in the area since 1977 with Navarre being for the last 10 years, so I am up to date with a lot of info that has been happening to both Navarre Beach and the mainland. I guess you can say I might be more knowledgeable on the area than some posters. I dont post often as the smack gets a bit too much for me.

I do remember when Destin only had 1 or 2 street lights and it was wonderful. I avoid that area like the plague and do see Navarre Beach heading that way. If a pass does go in, its all over.

My post was from my observations on the mainland of several condo projects popping up all over the place only to fail. A new complex is sitting empty, a huge lot was clear cut and now is for sale, and condo signs falling apart at several locations.

So if this individual wants to join the party and get hit in the wallet, go for it. That doesnt mean that I support it, which I entirely dont. The owners at Bel Mar are getting hosed.

I would hate heading over the bridge to surf my favorite spots, only to see a skyline of condos. I can get that view at Destin, Panama City, or even Daytona Beach !

Aloha.

MurrayD
CabanaGrl

Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:42 pm

Eastbaybabe...I did my best. I did send an email to each of the commissioners and received no reply.

I am very sorry to hear that the Master Plan has been changed!

My family vacationed in Destin from the time I was a small child and I, in turn, have visited with my son until about ten years ago. My idea of a vacation is not to visit a 'city' on the beach. When all of the high rises came up and the traffic started to jam, I stopped going.

Early this year I had thought about an area I drove through about 15 years ago and did some research and found that this area was Navarre Beach. Back then there wasn't much there and the mix of emerald water and white sand, without all of the typical tourist attractions, really stuck with me. Right now Navarre Beach is a perfect mix of private homes, rental homes and just enough condos to give the beach some diversity amongst tourists and residents.

I have been to every state in the US, all over the East and West coasts and have visited every natural wonder in this country. In my opinion, Navarre Beach is the most beautiful place I have seen. It is very sad that it may some day look like Destin.

It is very unfortunate that a public vote was not allowed. Hopefully someone will come up with a way to appeal the commissioners decision.
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:26 pm

(Pretending that I haven't read all the other "stuff" on here)

I am disappointed to hear about the commisioners allowing another high rise on the beach simply because the neighbor was a highrise. So.... if the new place is a highrise then the other neighbor can become one.... then when they are a high rise, the other neighbor can become a high rise... it is a never ending saga. Surely the response was poorly planned... or was it? After all, it is now a matter of public record. What a mess!

I understand why a builder or property owner would want to push through the plans for a highrise and to get it on the books as allowing such. I know the market is bad now. I can not imagine why yet another builder is wanting to jump into the market at this time. After all, there are many developments that can not sell the units they have. Not to mention all the previously owned units that are on the market and no one is biting. It is not just the high end or low end units that are not selling. It is across the board. Maybe a realtor can give us the exact figures on how many total condo sales on Navarre Beach in 2007. My bet is that you have enough fingers and toes to count them all.
Randymetro
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:36 pm

beachgirl that is why this was passed. They are afraid of less taxes and if someone is going to add more units to be taxed then let them in. Get it. Now is the very best time to have zonning changes and plans for large condos. They need the money. Get it. The developers can wait to start building as long as they have the ok. Get it. Ok nuff said. Lesson 101 in how to get what you want when you have the money.
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:48 pm

I understand better than most Randy. I am simply disappointed.
Randymetro
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:55 pm

I know so am I. Im just letting off some steam. :D
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:14 pm

With any luck, the developers won't move on the property yet. If they do not have deep pockets or like to use the banks money to pay for construction, they need at a good percentage to start to build. Since Beach Colony seems to and is rumored to be struggling for funding, maybe it will hold off any other large developments.
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:27 pm

beachgirl wrote:With any luck, the developers won't move on the property yet. If they do not have deep pockets or like to use the banks money to pay for construction, they need at a good percentage to start to build. Since Beach Colony seems to and is rumored to be struggling for funding, maybe it will hold off any other large developments.
beachgirl - what's the news/rumors on beach colony? you can pm me.

thanks
gj
Pete
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:54 am

My 2-cents again. Unfortunate - I do not like the precedent that the Master Plan can be changed for one individual. Of note - the two commissioners that voted against the change represent those who either live on or nearest NB, the most frequest "users" - the three that voted for the change represent the opposite end of the county. (wonder if that will shift after 2010 census? - has the population growth in the county shifted enough that redistricting will be needed?)
Anyway, agree they are probably looking more for possible future increased property taxes to use in the north end - and don't have to live with/near the effect - and those who live in north-end districts do not use the beach as much.
(wish I had read this earlier - saw Bob Cole Tuesday evening, would have advised my disappointment - another tack in the board as to why I do not intend to support most of the current BOCC for re-election - to borrow a phrase from another forum - "Out the gate in 2008".)

Anyway, all that said - IF the entire master plan had been properly re-addressed - I can see an arguement for THIS particular parcel to be changed back to high(er) density - maybe a 10-12-story - to transition from the 16-story on the east, to the 6-story on the west.
It was planned/zoned for HD prior to current master plan.
What I see as the "mistake" was when it was changed from HD to single family in current master plan - just because the owner wanted to build single family (at the time) - wedged in between two other HD's - and had had the zoning changed from HD to SF.
The history from earlier postings and documents was that it became planned for single family use just to tie up a "loose end" so that planning documents matched zoning/current use (single family) which was some administrative requirement for state approval/acceptance of the plan (why? - I don't know - would think "plans" would not necessarily reflect "current use"? - anybody know why that happened?).

If the "master plan" shouldn't be changed for one individual - should it have been changed from HD to single family when one individual wanted it so changed back around 1990?
If that hadn't been done (for one individual in 1990's) - this parcel would still/already be HD in the MP.

More I wonder, when the current master plan was put together, why commercial/HD lots were left in place, soundside - surrounded by "park"??
(parcels where proposed Embassy Suites, Confrenence Center, Marina, including condos on upper floors - somewhat east of Mom's Beach)
Pete
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!

Return to “Navarre Beach Master Plan”