Where did everyone go?

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:41 pm

I keep hearing a song by Pink Floyd, "Is there anyone out there?"

Today teh parking lots to the condos are empty. The amount of cars is comparable to the fall season.

Last week, there were still those hanging on. Now they seemed to have left. So sad.
pwillman

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:50 pm

Beach girl I noticed the same thing on the webcam. I believe people are releying on the press way too much...

We were just there week of June 12 to 19th had a great time. So glad we did not cancel..

I rely on this forum for accurate info.
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:06 pm

You can add five starting this Friday when we arrive. 8) :)
momto4boys

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:33 pm

So, curious..I see rain in the forecast the next 10 days. When it says "scattered" there...does it literally just come and go once in awhile?
wregle
Power User
Power User

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:32 pm

4 more coming on Wednesday. We were coming for the Buffett concert but now that has been canceled so guess we are just coming. Don't think the numbers will pick up since they have canceled this due to weather. Hope they are wrong because I want some beach time!
You can shake the sand from your shoes but it never leaves your soul
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:55 pm

momto4boys wrote:So, curious..I see rain in the forecast the next 10 days. When it says "scattered" there...does it literally just come and go once in awhile?
Yep! That's "welcome to coastal weather in the sub-tropics and tropics!" In the Bahamas, it's even more "scattered" and the streets literally flood nearly every time it rains there! A number of years ago, we were there on a mission trip for two weeks and it rained there almost the same time every day. 8)

Here "Scattered" basically means that there could literally be a shower across the street while your house is staying dry! Just saw that happen last week in our neighborhood! Then maybe later in the day, there could be another little "pop up" shower. That's just summer weather all along the Gulf and southern Atlantic coasts!

You can be on the beach, not a cloud in the sky, then suddenly clouds gather, it showers, then the sun comes out again and the air is like a "newborn day"! It's really glorious --- the ionization of the air makes you feel fantastic! It's just a regular occurrence all along the Coast.

A.G.
Last edited by AngelGirl on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
jmed

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:11 pm

9 of us are still coming down on July 10!!! :D
bonneau29431

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:02 am

4 more will be there July 17
Shell Hunter
staciwright09

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:50 am

30 of us coming July 14th - July 18th for my sisters wedding :)
sharkbait408

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:27 am

Glad to have everyone still coming to the coast. The scattered showers are just pop up showers that might last a few minutes and then the sun comes back out. We usually still get a great day on the beach even with rain. The longest we waited this year for a passing storm was about 30 minutes. Most people left the beach and then we had it all to ourselves. You just have to keep an eye on the lightning. Hope yhou all have a great time!!
momto4boys

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:33 am

K, thanks. I saw on the weather channel nothing but a huge line of storms from TX to as far up as NY.
I'm assuming it's this tropical storm Alex? Because I haven't turned it on today, I'm curious..has the path changed? It's not suppose to come there, is it?
I've FINALLY sucked up all my fear, and we're attempting to come this weekend. Not set in stone, as now I'm afraid of a hurricane, lol.
But, I also don't want to come there and get rained out every day.

Thanks!
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:43 am

Usually, we get a shower in the afternoon in the summer. Today and tomorrow, I think we are going to get all day on and off rain. It is funny watching the people who are here. The rain stops, they all run out and jump in the pool and on the lounge chairs, rain comes, they run in for a little bit.
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:51 pm

this is typical summer weather for the south, especially near the coast. sometimes the island fares better, sometimes not. nothing is a guarantee. but alex is not heading this way - in fact, it seems to be zeroing on tex/mex border. that is far away from here!

vacations are always full of uncertainty, weather-wise. no guarantees.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:47 pm

We noticed, Beachgirl during our stay on June 12th-19th, that it was waaay slower than normal years. And yes, irregardless of what those who have been there and those that live there say/said....people are still listening to the evil news reports. Some people.....you're just not going to have them listen but to the TV. Their loss!!!
Laura Robinson

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:49 pm

We are coming next week, July 7-11, and have no plans to cancel. Navarre needs us!!!!!!!!

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”